• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Stratford (London stadium)>Euston

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flying Claret

Hello folks. In December a few of us will Be going to watch West Ham. V Burnley on a Wednesday night. Rather naively we have booked on the 11pm departure from Euston. What are the chances of making that train from Stratford? TfL journey planner says it takes 24 mins. How realistic is this? Are there extra Tube services at this time? Any info would be appreciated.
Thanks

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

EM2

Established Member
7.45 kickoff I guess? So you'll be out by 9.30-9.40.
Personally, I would head to Stratford International and get the High Speed to St Pancras. You should be on a train within 45 minutes of leaving the stadium (so by 10.25), it's six minutes to St Pancras and then a ten minute walk to Euston.
So, all being well, you should be at Euston by 10.45pm. But that's all being well :D

Mikey C

Established Member
Hello folks. In December a few of us will Be going to watch West Ham. V Burnley on a Wednesday night. Rather naively we have booked on the 11pm departure from Euston. What are the chances of making that train from Stratford? TfL journey planner says it takes 24 mins. How realistic is this? Are there extra Tube services at this time? Any info would be appreciated.
Thanks

The journey time shouldn't be a problem, it's the time it'll take you to get out of the ground and get through the congestion onto the platforms.

As EM2 said, taking HS1 from Stratford International should be the quickest way and get you to Euston on time.
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/dir/S...bd80f5765a4c!2m2!1d-0.132616!2d51.5266818!3e2

Clip

Established Member
As they said though if you go behind the British museum Library when you walk to Euston you will get there quicker and not as many crowds of people and it is sign posted.

Just get off the HS1 and turn right to the doors furthest from you and you will see the signage

Last edited by a moderator:

Flying Claret

Hello. Thanks very much for the responses, I'd not even considered using Stratford international. I know we'll probably have to leave before the final whistle to beat the rush.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
As they said though if you go behind the British museum Library when you walk to Euston you will get there quicker and not as many crowds of people and it is sign posted.

Just get off the HS1 and turn right to the doors furthest from you and you will see the signage
Agreed. Faster, more pleasant, and less congested. See map.

96tommy

Leaving 5 minutes earlier could save you a lot of time, know your bearings before the match so you know where to go to directly. I live near Stratford so it's a journey I have done a few times, quickest option is Southeastern Highspeed but this costs more I believe.

Options include:
- Southeastern Highspeed to St Pancras (6 minutes) then 8-10 minute walk to Euston
- Greater Anglia/TFL Rail to Liverpool Street then Met/Circle/H&C to Euston Square
- Central Line to Oxford Circus then Victoria Line to Euston
- Central Line to Holborn then 15-20 minute walk to Euston

The 11pm should definitely be doable, to gurantee you get there I would definitely reccommend the Southeastern "Javelin" option

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Agreed. Faster, more pleasant, and less congested. See map.

Well blow me down, I never knew of that route! I must, simply must, adopt it next time I need to walk that way.

Going by Tube, my suggestion would be Central line Stratford to Mile End then change for a Hammersmith & City line train to Euston Square which is within a 4 minute walk from Euston's main entrance. Cross-platform at Mile End so super easy to do.

Alternative could well be London Overground to Highbury & Islington then Victoria line to Euston. Obviously a check for engineering work and any other weekend alterations is highly recommended!

Southeastern High Speed plus the walk could well be better, more expensive as others have mentioned but potentially worth it.

Established Member
Going by Tube, my suggestion would be Central line Stratford to Mile End then change for a Hammersmith & City line train to Euston Square which is within a 4 minute walk from Euston's main entrance. Cross-platform at Mile End so super easy to do.

Alternative could well be London Overground to Highbury & Islington then Victoria line to Euston. Obviously a check for engineering work and any other weekend alterations is highly recommended!

Southeastern High Speed plus the walk could well be better, more expensive as others have mentioned but potentially worth it.

First option. Don't do that! Quicker to get TfL Rail or Greater Anglia to Liverpool St if a train is due. You could wait a while at Mile End if unlucky, you have more frequent underground trains from Liverpool St to Euston Square than from Mile End.

Second option. Depending on where you are in the ground it may look quicker to walk to Hackney Wick to get the Overground to Highbury & Is, but you run the risk of not getting on the train if it is full from Stratford so I wouldn't chance that.

Third option. Fine if you want to pay more

Last edited:

96tommy

I lived in Mile End last year so with experience of using the H&C there every day I would say avoid it, definitely if rushing. You could sometimes get 4/5 District line trains before the H&C turns up. As stated in my earlier post TFL/Greater Anglia to Liverpool Street then Met/Circle/H&C to Euston Square or the Southeastern "Javelin" service.

roversfan2001

Established Member
I personally think it's not worth the hassle just to watch Burnley; but I'm incredibly biased on this.

Sent from my HTC Desire 530 using Tapatalk

Flying Claret

Thanks again for the info. HS1 looks the preferred route. I'm guessing that station will be less busy after the match. Am I right in thinking that route is exempt from travelcards/Oyster cards..? Therefore the majority of locals will head to Stratford station?

Roversfan. You're probably right but it'll be a better trip than Rotherham away

96tommy

You can use oyster/contactless on HS1. How long are you spending in London before the match? Oyster is usually cheaper than a travelcard.

Status
Not open for further replies.