• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Swedish Engineering Works (Oslo to Stockholm)

Status
Not open for further replies.

matt

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I'm trying to plan a journey from Oslo to Stockholm on Monday 3rd April. Most of the trains are showing as "track maintenance planned" How far in advance are the times usually conformed? The engineering works on the SJ site say

https://www.sj.se/sv/trafikinfo/banarbeten/planerade-banarbeten.html##v%C3%A4stra said:

Hallsberg​

Line: Stockholm–Karlstad–Oslo
Period: 27 – 31 March (11:00 – 14:00), 3 – 6 April (11:00 – 14:00), 11 – 14 April (11:00 – 14:00) , 18 – 21 April (11:00 – 14:00).
Impact: The trains take a different route, are replaced by buses or are cancelled.

Is there an alternative route or are they likely to be cancelled? The 14:36 departure is running which fits in with the above times.

It also suggests a route which is part bus. I've got a interrail so will just be buying a reservation. Would that be valid on a bus to Gothenburg?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

dutchflyer

Established Member
IF there may be an ALT route over rails will depend on the exact where-this is not stated. Most of the line is single track, so even if this would mean rather big detours. and in fact over the larger western half not really possible/feasible.
Just like in your GB |: in case of works there will be some rail-replacement bus along the sector hit: in THAT bus your pass will of course be valid. Most railway practice tends to be very much same-same anywhere. 99% chance there will not be any check on tix/passes etc.
Thus-also logic thinking: IF you choose to use another bus/coach that may suit better-you pay. Göteborg is quite out of the way and there is nothing to suggest that it will be routed via there.
But if the idea of bustitute despairs you so much-well, the pass is valid on about any train so you could book/RES to there-G-Os is free/non RES anyway and just a very few suburban sets. And oh yes_ it seems any passholder thinks one has to make these RES as soon as opens: nonsense. When there a few days before is OK (its online in fact on SJ) and even on the day itself quite possible. Also not really that much different as GB-practice.

matt

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I'm booking hotels so I need to know what trains are running so waiting till on the day to book is not good advice. SJ suggested the via Gothenburg route as an alternative. I don't understand your comment about there-g-o?

JonasB

Trafikverket is at the moment horrible at planning maintenance. My guess is that SJ has applied for a new route for the mid day trains but hasn't recieved any information from Trafikverket yet.

There are alternative routes, SJ has rerouted the trains via Nykroppa-Ställdalen but I don't know if that is what they're planning or if they plan replacement buses.

You probably get the bus suggestion via Gothenburg since it makes the total travel time a bit shorter, but you can also take the train from Oslo to Gothenburg.

Welly

The one time I travelled from Gothenburg to Oslo back in July 2014 we had to take the busitution from Gothenburg to Trollhatten due to Sunday engineering just north of Gothenburg. The bus travelled along the E45 to Trollhatten and it took less than 90 minutes.

matt

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Trafikverket is at the moment horrible at planning maintenance. My guess is that SJ has applied for a new route for the mid day trains but hasn't recieved any information from Trafikverket yet.

There are alternative routes, SJ has rerouted the trains via Nykroppa-Ställdalen but I don't know if that is what they're planning or if they plan replacement buses.

You probably get the bus suggestion via Gothenburg since it makes the total travel time a bit shorter, but you can also take the train from Oslo to Gothenburg.
Thanks I'll keep checking. Look like I've got the option of the afternoon service but would have preferred to arrive in Stockholm a bit earlier.

JonasB

I can understand that. My suggestion would probably be to wait and see if the trains go on sale. If they don't, you can always take the 14:36 Intercity. It doesn't require a seat reservation so you can just board the train if you are travelling on Interrail.

matt

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I can understand that. My suggestion would probably be to wait and see if the trains go on sale. If they don't, you can always take the 14:36 Intercity. It doesn't require a seat reservation so you can just board the train if you are travelling on Interrail.
Is it only the high speed service that needs a reservation. The interrail app suggests it also needs a reservation?

rvdborgt

Is it only the high speed service that needs a reservation. The interrail app suggests it also needs a reservation?
Although the information in the rail planner app can't be relied on (especially regarding mandatory reservations), it is correct that SJ IC services require a reservation. You can book it on sj.se.

JonasB

At least it used to be the case that seat reservations wasn't required on Intercities, but they might have changed the rules.

matt

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
So with less than 2 weeks to go the trains are now showing as bookable :smile: so I'll be able to get to Stockholm earlier than planned.

jamesontheroad

Established Member
2 weeks seems about right. Trafikverket are useless. And there is no political impetus for them to improve, sadly.

JonasB

Better late than never? While it is true that Trafikverket's planning is awful, there is at least some political pressure on them.

matt

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Its been updated again and they have removed the early trains :'( so back to plan B of later arrival. I assume they were shown as bookable in error

Status
Not open for further replies.