• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

SWR Class 458 to be retained

Goldfish62

Established Member
I used the line yesterday: on a 455 in both directions.

Definitely felt noisier and less comfortable than the old 458s : the 701s are nowhere near ready then?
As a regular user of the line I use RTT to avoid 455s like the plague unless it's for a short journey.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Paths are on RTT for the transfers of 458s next week.

Monday 15th April
5Z53 0723 Leicester L.I.P. to Widnes Transport Tech

5Q62 1311 Widnes Transport Tech to Wembley Receptions 1-7

Tuesday 16th April
5X64 1135 Wembley Receptions 1-7 to Southampton Central

5Q64 1534 Southampton Central to Bournemouth T&R.S.M.D

5Z66 2018 Bournemouth T&R.S.M.D to Eastleigh East Yard

onward paths from Eastleigh are not yet loaded.

Presumably this will be for the delivery of 458421 from Widnes and 458513 to Widnes.

As a footnote to last weeks Red Herrings, 458514 has returned from its visit to Bournemouth and was back in passenger service on 2C05 0526 London Waterloo to Reading yesterday.

DMckduck97

Tongue in cheek I assume as the Reading line has been anything but spolit! A worse timetable and service now than 20 years ago after many years of being promised 4TPH. Not to mention the closures what feels like every weekend...

Glad these are entering sergice as the situation is desperate. June still feels a long way off though, and if a training course is required (for these units that have been on these routes for 20+ years in some form or other....) then it will also delay the introduction of the 701's I assume.
I don't think with the most recent timings update on the up from reading, 4tph would be realistic without knocking multiple stops off at least 2tph.

I'm not quite sure how we've got to the point where longcross is a permanent addition to the working timetable, but it certainly causes more benefits than I suspect it offers to the service.

I presume it'll allow a cascade of 450s back onto the readings until the 701s ever appear on that line
How many years has it been since we've seen a 701 venture down the reading line? I can't recall it actually happening?

On Moderation
As a regular user of the line I use RTT to avoid 455s like the plague unless it's for a short journey.
I try to do the same, but my regular train if I need to go into the office is now diagrammed 8-455. Fortunately my normal train home is still (for now at least) a 10-458.

Snow1964

Established Member
I don't think with the most recent timings update on the up from reading, 4tph would be realistic without knocking multiple stops off at least 2tph.

How many years has it been since we've seen a 701 venture down the reading line? I can't recall it actually happening?
Just for comparison, looked up last year of Southern Railway (1948), trains to Reading were only hourly departing Waterloo xx:54 and arriving Reading xx:09 (75 minutes later) with train dividing at Ascot.

The 458s leave xx:50 (4 minutes earlier), don't divide on route and take 8 minutes (11%) longer arriving xx:14

.... three quarters of a century has resulted in trains slower than in post war rundown era.

JonathanH

Veteran Member
The 458s leave xx:50 (4 minutes earlier), don't divide on route and take 8 minutes (11%) longer arriving xx:14

.... three quarters of a century has resulted in trains slower than in post war rundown status.
They are four minutes slower than advertised in the December 2004 timetable, which itself was a slowdown from before, but 76, 80, 84 minutes is all roughly the same duration. Short of something radical happening the Reading line isn't going to be sped up.

DMckduck97

Just for comparison, looked up last year of Southern Railway (1948), trains to Reading were only hourly departing Waterloo xx:54 and arriving Reading xx:09 (75 minutes later) with train dividing at Ascot.

.... three quarters of a century has resulted in trains slower than in post war rundown era.
I also think you've got to factor in much more defensive PDPs into the equation, defensive driving and route features play a massive factor.

Virginia Water to Reading is low adhesion all the way if I'm not mistaken, which is probably why it's been slowed down considerably.

Goldfish62

Established Member
I also think you've got to factor in much more defensive PDPs into the equation, defensive driving and route features play a massive factor.

Virginia Water to Reading is low adhesion all the way if I'm not mistaken, which is probably why it's been slowed down considerably.
There's also a lot of padding.

The other afternoon I took the train to Waterloo. The driver and guard were unexceptional, ie nothing particularly slower or faster than usual. The train left Bracknell 4 min late and arrived at Waterloo 4 min early. It made up 8 min without trying.

Nicholas Lewis

Established Member

only in leafall season

swr444

I think people forget that trains are a lot busier than they were in the past, hence the longer dwells of people getting on and off trains needed. stations and trains are a lot more accessible than before which allows people with reduced mobility to use trains, and they require extra time to board and alight.

Nicholas Lewis

Established Member
I think people forget that trains are a lot busier than they were in the past, hence the longer dwells of people getting on and off trains needed. stations and trains are a lot more accessible than before which allows people with reduced mobility to use trains, and they require extra time to board and alight.
and opening and closing a slam door even when the train was stationary has a much speedier door cycle time than modern sliding door stock especially with the sclerotic 450 doors. Thats worth 10-15secs per station although at busier stations sliding doors are probably more consistent in dwell times.

On Moderation
There's also a lot of padding.

The other afternoon I took the train to Waterloo. The driver and guard were unexceptional, ie nothing particularly slower or faster than usual. The train left Bracknell 4 min late and arrived at Waterloo 4 min early. It made up 8 min without trying.
Much of the padding has been added since the change of operator to SWR. WorstGroup have imported "FGW disease" which is to add padding to the timetable to deal with poor performance. What it actually does is make performance worse as there's no attempt to deal with sloppy operating, so they end up just bunging more and more time into the timetable rather than addressing the root cause.

It is clear, though, that the door cycle times on the 450s do not help: one of the few benefits of the 455s is that station working is much faster.

Nicholas Lewis

Established Member
If you believe that things only get slippery in 'leafall' then you're sadly mistaken.
Of course not a variety of climatic conditions can impact adhesion but that applies across the whole network and sectional running times have an allowance for that. The poster above specifically identified a certain section and there are many routes across the UK that are more afflicted by low adhesion risk from leaves and have temporary timetables put in place to cater for the seasonal risk.

ComUtoR

Established Member
Of course not a variety of climatic conditions can impact adhesion but that applies across the whole network and sectional running times have an allowance for that. The poster above specifically identified a certain section and there are many routes across the UK that are more afflicted by low adhesion risk from leaves and have temporary timetables put in place to cater for the seasonal risk.

There is also the industrial pollution that also causes low adhesion

DMckduck97

Was just pointing out that until SWR employed the leaf fall timetable between Virginia water and reading in the up direction, almost every train was getting to Virginia water late. Therefore delaying the 2Sxx and 2Uxx and even the 2Kxx at St Margaret's.

The padding between Clapham and Waterloo is ridiculous though.

Russel

Been a while since I last looked at this thread, are we any further along with knowing what the plan is for the 458 fleet, has anything been agreed or is it still all up in the air?

swr444

Been a while since I last looked at this thread, are we any further along with knowing what the plan is for the 458 fleet, has anything been agreed or is it still all up in the air?
They’re to be used on the Windsor side from June

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
The story keeps changing. First Waybridge and Windsor, then Hounslow Loop and Waybridge, and now Windsor again
No, I think you might be getting “Windsor side” confused with the specific Windsor and Eton bound services. “Windsor side” refers to the lines to the left (facing North) of the sidings at Clapham Junction, running through Putney and either via Richmond/Twickenham or Hounslow/Brentford and onwards, to differentiate from the mainline, which are the lines to the right (facing North) of the sidings, and to the left of the Brighton Main Line.

For clarity, Reading, Weybridge, Windsor & ER, Hounslow and Teddington via Strawberry Hill (plus peak Farnham via Ascot and Shepperton via Strawberry Hill) services are all Windsor lines services.

So when swr444 stated that they’ll be used on the Windsor side from June, this is quite right, even though they will run to Weybridge via Hounslow, not actually to Windsor. And the Hounslow loop is pretty much a shortened part of the Weybridge service anyway now.

swr444

The story keeps changing. First Waybridge and Windsor, then Hounslow Loop and Waybridge, and now Windsor again
weybridge and hounslow loop IS the windsor side. 701s are slowly rolling out on the windsor and eton riv diagrams (2Uxx) so do not need the 458/4s. they are being deployed on the weybridge and hounslow services to release 450s to be used on the reading line so the 455s can go onto the sheppys.

Goldfish62

Established Member
701s are slowly rolling out on the windsor and eton riv diagrams (2Uxx) so do not need the 458/4s.
All that's happened is that the two return "soft launch" journeys no longer operate and instead the 701 and its crew are used on only part of one diagram on the Windsor services. There has been no training since the "soft launch" crews were trained, therefore any rollout is as far away as ever.

childwallblues

Established Member
My apologies if this has been discussed upthread.
On our way from Crewe to Nottingham on Tuesday we passed three carriages in South Western Trains livery in London North Western Yard at Stoke-on-Trent. I assume that these have been remove from Class 458 units under overhaul at Widnes. Does anybody know the final destination of theses carriages please?