• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

T&W Metro Evening Security Teams

Status
Not open for further replies.

markydh

Security will be deployed on the majority of trains on the Tyne and Wear Metro to provide customer reassurance in the evenings and tackle anti-social behaviour where it arises.

It will take the security presence on the Metro network to its highest ever level, with security personnel on board almost every single service from 19:00 every day.

Nexus, the public body which owns and manages Metro, said it had listened to feedback from its customers and the Metro team before making this significant commitment in an aim to provide greater reassurance to people using public transport in the evening.

The cost of the expanded security team is being met from increased Metro revenue, together with a contribution from the Safer Streets ASB and transport initiative provided by the Police and Crime Commissioner Kim McGuinness’ office and will start operating from the forthcoming Spring Bank Holiday weekend.

https://www.nexus.org.uk/news/item/metro-get-security-teams-majority-evening-train-services

With the closed thread about ASB fresh in the memory, this will no doubt be welcomed...

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

jkkne

You can tell the bidding to be the Labour mayoral candidate for the region is heating up...the PCC front and centre

rg177

Established Member
Associate Staff
International Transport
It'll certainly help as it'll at least minimise the risk of just moving the problem onto the following train.

The security just need to be in large enough groups.

Snex

Now if your going to hire people to be a bouncer, surely it would make more sense to hire them as guards / conductors and actually do something useful.

rg177

Established Member
Associate Staff
International Transport
Now if your going to hire people to be a bouncer, surely it would make more sense to hire them as guards / conductors and actually do something useful.
In the long run that'd be desirable. The issue is that getting enough staff in, then training them, then managing to keep them, is a lot harder and more expensive.

From what I gather, the existing third-party security presence has been positively received, so this works as a shorter term solution. Ticketing is only a small part of the issue - it's anti-social behaviour.

bramling

Veteran Member
https://www.nexus.org.uk/news/item/metro-get-security-teams-majority-evening-train-services

With the closed thread about ASB fresh in the memory, this will no doubt be welcomed...

Pretty depressing that this is necessary, but hopefully this will finally be a step towards resolving this long-running issue.

Quite sad that large sums of money are having to be thrown at this, that could instead be spent on something much more productive.

It will no doubt make life much more bearable for the drivers. It’s been very unsatisfactory they have to work in an atmosphere that at times resembles a war zone.

KGX

This is a really good move. Particularly ahead of the new fleet coming in.

bramling

Veteran Member
This is a really good move. Particularly ahead of the new fleet coming in.

Part of me hopes it doesn’t need to become permanent. It’s quite a sad state of affairs, and doesn’t really give a good impression of the area that every train needs a team of bouncers. But with things as they are it’s certainly necessary.

KGX

Part of me hopes it doesn’t need to become permanent. It’s quite a sad state of affairs, and doesn’t really give a good impression of the area that every train needs a team of bouncers. But with things as they are it’s certainly necessary.
I agree that it's very frustrating that it's necessary. However, I'm not opposed to a guard or conductor being on every service. I'd like to see this transition to a DLR type role where by they are constantly performing ticket checks. Could end up being revenue positive.

Snex

In the long run that'd be desirable. The issue is that getting enough staff in, then training them, then managing to keep them, is a lot harder and more expensive.

From what I gather, the existing third-party security presence has been positively received, so this works as a shorter term solution. Ticketing is only a small part of the issue - it's anti-social behaviour.

Yeah good points but totally agreed though.

Don't want to turn it too political but there's been serious questions locally over the timing of it all. There's questions over whether the real reason it's been done is to get Kim McGuinness the mayor job who she's tipped to be going for. She hasn't half splashed her face all over the media coverage.

Be interesting to see if she wins if it continues or whether it's just a small gimmick.

bramling

Veteran Member
I agree that it's very frustrating that it's necessary. However, I'm not opposed to a guard or conductor being on every service. I'd like to see this transition to a DLR type role where by they are constantly performing ticket checks. Could end up being revenue positive.

I can’t see that really being viable without a *massive* transition in behaviour throughout the whole area. As things are now when there are security staff around they work in very large numbers, which tells its own story. Even when doing station checks at the city centre stations I’ve noticed the staff seem to go round in pairs.

Yes revenue is probably the least of the problems. Indeed some of the behaviour stems from people who don’t even intend to travel.

ModernRailways

Established Member
I can’t see that really being viable without a *massive* transition in behaviour throughout the whole area. As things are now when there are security staff around they work in very large numbers, which tells its own story. Even when doing station checks at the city centre stations I’ve noticed the staff seem to go round in pairs.
The revenue staff must always work in pairs, it’s part of the union agreement.

Seehof

Got some friends staying at the Newcastle airport Premier Inn. They are worrying about having a meal and coming back to the hotel on the Metro about 9-10pm. Can I definitely reassure them there will be an additional member of staff on the trains and they are quite safe to use? Thanks

ModernRailways

Established Member
Got some friends staying at the Newcastle airport Premier Inn. They are worrying about having a meal and coming back to the hotel on the Metro about 9-10pm. Can I definitely reassure them there will be an additional member of staff on the trains and they are quite safe to use? Thanks
There may not see any additional staff on the trains, but it's safe enough out that way.

Status
Not open for further replies.