• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Talyllyn Railway Preservation Society travel concessions

Status
Not open for further replies.

notverydeep

Hi All. Can anyone here advise what travel concessions are available to TRPS members on the Talyllyn Railway itself and (I think) the reciprocal arrangements with the Ffestiniog, Welsh Highland (Porthmadog to Canaervon) and Bala lake railways? Particularly, are these concessions also available to associate (i.e. family) members travelling with the ordinary member and are there any date or other restrictions on their use? The TR website states that there are concessions, but doesn't give details.

I was a TRPS member and volunteer as a teenager (in the 1980s) and would like to have a holiday in the area with my family later in the year, with a trip on the Welsh Highland Railway as well if possible, so I am trying to work out the best way of doing that, plus support the TR if possible...

Thanks for any assistance

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

John Luxton

Established Member
I am an FR Life Member and used to get free travel on the TR. But over the past 10 years or so I found myself visiting the TR at least once a year and decided after having several holidays cancelled in 2020 to donate some of my unspent holiday funds to the TRPS by taking out life membership there which I have used. As far as I am aware it is just for the the holder only on TR.

FR usually allow a guest to be taken at a concessionary priv rate on the FR only 3 times a year on an ordinary membership and unlimited times on a life membership.

These are the current rules for FR Members copied from the web site:

"The Ffestiniog Railway at present allows Society members the following travel privileges: Life Members: Free – First or Third Class travel on the Ffestiniog Railway. Ordinary Members: Unlimited free Third Class return tickets. First Class travel at Privilege Rate Third Class fare plus First Class Excess."

"Welsh Highland Railway (Caernarfon to Porthmadog): Ordinary and Life FRS Members pay the privilege rate. If FRS members are also members of the Welsh Highland Railway Society or hold a sponsor’s pass, they may prefer to use the privileges available on those cards."

"Talyllyn Railway: Reciprocal privilege rate travel facilities exist.

"One friend may accompany a member by paying the privilege rates. Ordinary members are limited to three occasions and should have a P-series number cancelled from the membership card."

I don't think the concession for a friend exists if travelling on the TR with an FR card.

notverydeep

I am an FR Life Member and used to get free travel on the TR. But over the past 10 years or so I found myself visiting the TR at least once a year and decided after having several holidays cancelled in 2020 to donate some of my unspent holiday funds to the TRPS by taking out life membership there which I have used. As far as I am aware it is just for the the holder only on TR.

FR usually allow a guest to be taken at a concessionary priv rate on the FR only 3 times a year on an ordinary membership and unlimited times on a life membership.

These are the current rules for FR Members copied from the web site:

"The Ffestiniog Railway at present allows Society members the following travel privileges: Life Members: Free – First or Third Class travel on the Ffestiniog Railway. Ordinary Members: Unlimited free Third Class return tickets. First Class travel at Privilege Rate Third Class fare plus First Class Excess."

"Welsh Highland Railway (Caernarfon to Porthmadog): Ordinary and Life FRS Members pay the privilege rate. If FRS members are also members of the Welsh Highland Railway Society or hold a sponsor’s pass, they may prefer to use the privileges available on those cards."

"Talyllyn Railway: Reciprocal privilege rate travel facilities exist.

"One friend may accompany a member by paying the privilege rates. Ordinary members are limited to three occasions and should have a P-series number cancelled from the membership card."

I don't think the concession for a friend exists if travelling on the TR with an FR card.

Thanks very much for this. I had seen that on the FR site and concluded that they were much clearer about what their members can get as concessions than the TR are on their website. What I am not clear on is whether TR members get free travel on the TR itself either any time they like as long as it isn't full (like the Ravenglass & Eskdale), or perhaps on a limited number of occasions or simply they simply have a reduced rate. I am guessing that TR members then get the 'privilege rate' - 50% from what I can gather on the WHR, but it would be good if anyone could confirm this. Do you know what the privilege rate is on the FR.

It would be useful to know if there are any restrictions on these concessions / privilage rates, such as not school holidays...

John Luxton

Established Member
Thanks very much for this. I had seen that on the FR site and concluded that they were much clearer about what their members can get as concessions than the TR are on their website. What I am not clear on is whether TR members get free travel on the TR itself either any time they like as long as it isn't full (like the Ravenglass & Eskdale), or perhaps on a limited number of occasions or simply they simply have a reduced rate. I am guessing that TR members then get the 'privilege rate' - 50% from what I can gather on the WHR, but it would be good if anyone could confirm this. Do you know what the privilege rate is on the FR.

It would be useful to know if there are any restrictions on these concessions / privilage rates, such as not school holidays...
The Ffestiniog / Welsh Highland ask members not to use them on busy trains but as far as I know they don't stop you. On the odd occasion I have turned up in the summer school holidays I have not had any problems - but I usually aim for the first train when I go there or most lines for that matter as I don't like crowds!

Priviledge rates are 50% for normal fares. Note that members have to pay if attending a Gala Event - the forthcoming WHR Event discount on the July 30/31 WHR Centenary Event is only 20% for members.

FR now requires a photo on the membership card as a few years ago there was a certain amount of misuse going on - such as local guest houses / hotels joining and loaning cards to customers apparently! Though surprisingly as yet no photo cards for the Welsh Highland.

Llanigraham

On Moderation
My recollection is that TR members get free travel on the TR, but are requested to avoid the more popular trains, and don't get anything during "special events". I think there are reciprocal arrangements with the FR and the Bala.

And if you are visiting the area please come and see us on the Corris!

notverydeep

My recollection is that TR members get free travel on the TR, but are requested to avoid the more popular trains, and don't get anything during "special events". I think there are reciprocal arrangements with the FR and the Bala.

And if you are visiting the area please come and see us on the Corris!

Thanks for that. I presume it applies to associate members (i.e partners / children too?

Yes indeed, Corris is on my list - partly inspired by the progress I have seen in this video:

(from the channel Lawrie's Mechanical Marvels)...

Status
Not open for further replies.