• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

THAMESLINK services to Kent and Sussex routes 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
The reduction in planned SE services to Cannon Street after 2018 has always been an issue that looked likely to bite them in the bum.

And now a late change of plans to try to deal with it?

It was always very unlikely they could get away with reducing Cannon Street peak paths. How was it that came about without any long standing plan? Capacity cannot reudce on SE Metro lines with the numbers of housing and population changes. Under GLA and national govt plans homebuilding is the highest in London, if not the country, in places served by SE Metro.

The original plan (let's call it plan A) to retain 'Kent' frequency to London Bridge was Dartford to TL Core via Lewisham, and Tunbridge Wells to TL core. But the timetable just didn't work. Plan B was that every TL service via London Bridge was to 'Sussex', and to divert the couple of peak trains that couldn't get to Cannon St to Blackfriars. But that proved difficult in 'Sussex'.

Quite how reverting to a more complicated version of Plan A, with more flat crossing moves, is going to be any better... I await to see Plan C with interest.

theageofthetra

On Moderation
I never understood why North Kent East jct was not dealt with as part of these works. Compared to many parts of London it is mainly brownfield with space to rebuild and until very recently little new housing development.

telstarbox

Established Member
Today in the DLR I noticed the following map and it reminded me of this discussion. Usually network rail lines are shown on a separate map with all southeastern lines the same colour.

On this new map (from June this year) rail and tube are neatly integrated, and they made a clear colour distinction between the Southeastern to Gilligham via Greenwich, vs the other lines.

Easing us in to changes about to come??

Or is it just to separate out the Greenwich and Lewisham connections?

jon0844

Veteran Member
Isn't the consultation about how many strikes there will be before and after 2018?!

Minstral25

Established Member
Can't even run a consultation on time - no surprise they can't run any evening peak trains from London Bridge to Redhill on time for years

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
I don't get this. A typical consultation lasts for weeks if not months. So whats the problem if they get a few emailed responses this week, they won't be analysing the responses the day they arrive surely?

Established Member
I don't get this. A typical consultation lasts for weeks if not months. So whats the problem if they get a few emailed responses this week, they won't be analysing the responses the day they arrive surely?

Presumably they want to get some positive press coverage out of it, hence launching the consultation after the strikes?

Class377/5

Established Member
Its more all hands on deck during the strike meaning any issues will be ignored due to people out the office, dealing with stuff other than normal.

Minstral25

Established Member
It was originally due out back in July so it is late now anyway a few more days doesn't make a difference. Better after the strike as that will mean a chance for people to focus on it, although trust levels in achieving the new timetable will be very low in the public and press's eyes so I can't see a good response

ScotGG

Established Member
Still on for tomorrow? Looking forward to seeing what it contains.

Will it go live at midnight or 9am?

JonathanH

Veteran Member
Still on for tomorrow? Looking forward to seeing what it contains.

Will it go live at midnight or 9am?

Well, it isn't there at the moment.

http://www.southernrailway.com/your-journey/timetable-consultation

2018 Timetable Consultation

We are delaying the launch of our 2018 timetable consultation by a couple of days so we can concentrate on helping our passengers during the RMT strikes (on Southern and Gatwick Express) on Wednesday and Thursday, 7 and 8 September.

We are now launching on Friday 9 September so please come back then to download the document and give us your comments.

EDIT - and still not there at 07:40. Perhaps someone manually has to update the page and they haven't got to work yet.

Last edited:

JonathanH

Veteran Member
Ha ha at least I'm not the only one waiting eagerly for it

Expecting Cat and Tatt splitters all day ��

That would certainly help with paths through South Croydon if all the Redhill service is on the slow side - would likely represent a slow down in the off-peak service to Tattenham Corner however.

physics34

Established Member
That would certainly help with paths through South Croydon if all the Redhill service is on the slow side - would likely represent a slow down in the off-peak service to Tattenham Corner however.

did hear a rumour about this. Think it is because of WIndmill Bridge junction... we'll see what the documents say.

Barn

Established Member
Ha ha at least I'm not the only one waiting eagerly for it

Definitely not, I've been hitting refresh on southernrailway.com since July!

To be honest I'm still in "believe it when I see it" mode. I hope to be pleasantly suprised in the next few hours! :)

Class377/5

Established Member
Give it a chance people. It's being launched today so any time today it will go up. Expect to see press release and press stories about same time it goes live.

physics34

Established Member
Give it a chance people. It's being launched today so any time today it will go up. Expect to see press release and press stories about same time it goes live.

Are there any major timetable changes this december? Havent heard anything.

jon0844

Veteran Member
Are there any major timetable changes this december? Havent heard anything.

Yes, no trains on weekends. Thus solving the driver shortage problems.

You won't have heard anything because the person doing the timetables is off sick. ;)

ScotGG

Established Member
Nothing yet. Will it be a 5 minutes to 5 job?

If so why the delay due to staff being elsewhere and busy with the strike thus enable to monitor? They wont be in over the weekend in all likelihood. Thameslink sure do know how to do bad PR.

JonathanH

Veteran Member
Nothing yet. Will it be a 5 minutes to 5 job?

If so why the delay due to staff being elsewhere and busy with the strike thus enable to monitor? They wont be in over the weekend in all likelihood. Thameslink sure do know how to do bad PR.

Presumably they will now have missed the press release opportunity for today anyway so perhaps we should just assume that it will be next week.

Seems odd not to have delayed it to next week in the first place.

Barn

Established Member

Want to take my bet? How about I'll pay £5 to your choice of charity if GTR publishes today, and you do likewise if they don't?

I figure this way I'd be happy either way.

ScotGG

Established Member
Is there even a need for a big press release? 99% of the press wont cover it anyway.

Put out some tweets and make it prominent on the homepage.

Status
Not open for further replies.