• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

The GTR talent pool.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Garyjames1701

Same here, eagerly awaiting the details :)

Will be interesting reading through as I have no real idea of the terms etc. I'm aware of the salary but that's about it, be nice to get everything in black and white. How far away from the depot are you? I'm just down the A1 at Alconbury, so no more than 30 mins which suits me :)

RedZed

Been lurking here for a while now. I too am in the talent pool awaiting medical. I did the assessment on 6th July. For those that were there, I was the chap who only had to do the DFFT as I had previously passed the assessment with DBS earlier on in the year (only for DBS to pull the plug on their recruitment campaign). A lot of hanging around for me, (watching the hopefuls getting whittled down to the few), as I was asked to attend first thing even though I knew the test I was taking was the last one of the day. I then had my interview with Claire and Bill on 27th July ( I was first in at 0900), to be told I had passed, almost a week later.
As I have put my holidays on hold for the recruitment process and nothing seems to be moving very fast, I emailed Claire to ask where I was in the recruitment process as I have an opportunity to go to Spain in November but didn't want to jeopardise any pending dates for medical etc. To quote Claire's response, "At present we are waiting to hear when the next batch of courses are and locations. It is highly unlikely that you would be given a start date before November as there are a good few people ahead of you in the process. We will contact you once we can progress you." So, I'm not really expecting to start any time soon - certainly not this year.
However, does anyone know why certain talent pool members were given a medical straight away (but are still in the pool) and other such as myself are in the same pool but awaiting medicals?
Also, I'm down for Bedford if you want to add me to your list.

WDS2015

Will be interesting reading through as I have no real idea of the terms etc. I'm aware of the salary but that's about it, be nice to get everything in black and white. How far away from the depot are you? I'm just down the A1 at Alconbury, so no more than 30 mins which suits me :)

Is that Peterborough full now or are they still working on filling the course ?

Jobbyp89

Hey,
I'm new to the forum. Just found it, I've nothing to report.
I'm also waiting on Bedford & I thought I would join this thread.

Bucko

Hey,
I'm new to the forum. Just found it, I've nothing to report.
I'm also waiting on Bedford & I thought I would join this thread.

Hi Mate

Welcome to the forum and the pool !

Tell us about your journey mate? When did you have have assessments, interviews and medical?

Most of us had assessments in May, my DMI was June and medical July. been waiting since then

dr1323

Been lurking here for a while now. I too am in the talent pool awaiting medical. I did the assessment on 6th July. For those that were there, I was the chap who only had to do the DFFT as I had previously passed the assessment with DBS earlier on in the year (only for DBS to pull the plug on their recruitment campaign). A lot of hanging around for me, (watching the hopefuls getting whittled down to the few), as I was asked to attend first thing even though I knew the test I was taking was the last one of the day. I then had my interview with Claire and Bill on 27th July ( I was first in at 0900), to be told I had passed, almost a week later.
As I have put my holidays on hold for the recruitment process and nothing seems to be moving very fast, I emailed Claire to ask where I was in the recruitment process as I have an opportunity to go to Spain in November but didn't want to jeopardise any pending dates for medical etc. To quote Claire's response, "At present we are waiting to hear when the next batch of courses are and locations. It is highly unlikely that you would be given a start date before November as there are a good few people ahead of you in the process. We will contact you once we can progress you." So, I'm not really expecting to start any time soon - certainly not this year.
However, does anyone know why certain talent pool members were given a medical straight away (but are still in the pool) and other such as myself are in the same pool but awaiting medicals?

Welcome to the forum.

A lot of us got medicals straight away as they were offering people start dates pretty much straight away. With changing the course layout and now awaiting course dates they kept doing medicals so we were already to go when a date was to arise. Unfortunately a date has not come along for a long time so I assume they have stopped doing medicals until candidates with medicles are now placed on courses as they are still running assessment courses.

Just my opinion on the current situations but hopefully we will all be given start dates soon and you shall receive your medical

Jobbyp89

I applied back in feb this year. Completed my medical with flying colours on 21st May. It's been a waiting game since then. I popped into head office on the day of my medical to show ID and was told Courses should start in September. I since then received (I'm sure the same letter as everyone else.) a letter saying I'm in the talent pool and they're looking at courses Oct - 2016.

Scattle

I had my DMI with Claire and Bill the same day as you at 13:45, in same position as yourself waiting for a medical and start date.
I'm waiting for Kings X.

Bucko

I think the simple answer for the question why have some people been put straight through to medicals and others havent is down to chronology.

Most of the guys - like myself - who have had medicals, seem to be the batch that applied in Feb, assessments Apr/May and had DMI May/June.

The guys coming up behind, are joining a backlog of applicants all medical'd up that havent got a start date yet. So it makes sense from a business perspective to wait for courses to arise, allocate the guys who have already had medicals ( had money invested in them ), then move the next batch up, through their medicals, and onto the next future set of courses.

I dont know this for a fact, just applying logic to it ( so could be totally wrong!! )

Last edited:

flymo68

Yes same here just the basic details, will definitely be good to fill in the gaps. I'm in Werrington, Peterborough, so just a 10 min drive to the station. Ironically I didn't put Peterborough down as an option because I thought it would be so unlikely to get in there, so I was well made up when it was offered.

Train time

Yes same here just the basic details, will definitely be good to fill in the gaps. I'm in Werrington, Peterborough, so just a 10 min drive to the station. Ironically I didn't put Peterborough down as an option because I thought it would be so unlikely to get in there, so I was well made up when it was offered.

I'm in Werrington also mate. Great for us to get Peterborough. Roll on 12th October and the contract first !

WDS2015

Means nothing! ! Computer did that

It is a rudimentary list to be taken lightly haha

According to plastic taffy there are a further four to add to that list for bedford

Better have some big classrooms for Bedford

Wallicio

You know this thread is gonna go nuts when the TL side actually get the call right ??????????????????

paddydick

22 on the list/to be added, reportedly 8 in a class, so potentially 3 classes

Classes are a maximum of 8 people and can be Bedford and Blackfriar drivers and the courses are normally 4 weeks apart,

I should also add courses have been held back due to not having enough trainers and with 2 weeks annual leave being taken it can be understandable,

just keep your chins up and hopefully it won't be long

Last edited:

Gordo

I applied back in feb this year. Completed my medical with flying colours on 21st May. It's been a waiting game since then. I popped into head office on the day of my medical to show ID and was told Courses should start in September. I since then received (I'm sure the same letter as everyone else.) a letter saying I'm in the talent pool and they're looking at courses Oct - 2016.

How many people waiting for Bedford applied in Feb? Just curious. Are there any that have been waiting longer?

Skyblumatt

Long time lurker here
I'm also in the talent pool
Actually applied for FCC last year, heard nothing for a long time and then eventually did assessments late 2014 for GTR with DMI in December last year.
Been in pool since but partly my own doing as moved home so was unable to commit earlier this year. (Couldn't take the drop in wage for first year whilst mortgage was going through)
Had to turn down a Bedford course for this month which ironically would have been ideal had I not moved from Milton Keynes
Now living in Watford waiting for either kings x or Hitchin
Spoke with Claire throughout last few months and after turning down Bedford they arranged my medical which I had in July seemingly the same time as a lot of people here.
Glad to know I'm not the only one eagerly checking emails and phone every day!

Skyblumatt

what course did you turn down? was that 21/9 or 28/9 or another one?

Was going to say 21st but I have Just checked emails and seems course offered was 7th September for Bedford (although don't recall seeing any others starting this date on here unless I missed it)

Status
Not open for further replies.