• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

The "Name the Station" game

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

gnolife

Established Member
Over a few hours later.(I have been out all day) Edinburgh to Manchester Airport Services do stop at Salford Crescent :)

But not Manchester Airport TO Edinburgh, the clue uses to rather than To or From.

(2) This station has more platforms than operators, considering 10AM-3PM Monday to Friday only.

Ivo

Established Member
Over a few hours later.(I have been out all day) Edinburgh to Manchester Airport Services do stop at Salford Crescent :)

2tpd from EDB. None from SLD.

Clue 5: This station has previously handled direct train services to 1 capital city in the British Isles, but does not currently do so.

The fact it says "to" means that I will have to let it off on pedant's terms.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
(2) This station has more platforms than operators, considering 10AM-3PM Monday to Friday only.

Ellesmere Port

gnolife

Established Member
(5) This station, as well as the PTE, has the name of the city that it lies in, in it.

I accept that this clue is pretty poorly written, but its the best I can do for phrasing I'm afraid.

Ivo

Established Member
Now I get to try my new clue out, courtesy of SickyNicky :p Apologies in advance to Robinson and Temple Meads, both of whom have already struggled with this kind of clue!

Clue 1: This station is somewhere on the route of Routeing Guide Map CE, though not necessarily presented on said map.

(Example: Knaresborough is on a route found on Map CE, but is not actually represented by name; it would still count though. And no, it isn't Knaresborough.)

York?

oh wait, that wasnt actually clue 1? :D

If my connection hadn't temporarily failed on me you would have been a lucky boy because York is a possible answer and therefore wouldn't have cost you any points! It's not York though.

You can guess again.

gnolife

Established Member
Lydney

and a clarification here, would, for example, Merthyr Tydfil be a valid guess for this, being associated with Pontypridd?

Ivo

Established Member
would, for example, Merthyr Tydfil be a valid guess for this, being associated with Pontypridd?

No. It may be associated with it but the Merthyr branch is not actually visible. Anything between PPD and Cardiff would be however.

Clue 3 (which ruins that anyway): This station is in a PTE area.

Robinson

Garforth.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Oh crud, why did I think that route was electrified??? :cry: