• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Thefts at the SVR.......

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Forty29

Disgraceful act which is heartbreaking for the volunteers. Seems everything removable should have some sort of security mark so can be traced. Unfortunately they will be sold on by the 'back door' and never recovered.

D Williams

Disgraceful act which is heartbreaking for the volunteers. Seems everything removable should have some sort of security mark so can be traced. Unfortunately they will be sold on by the 'back door' and never recovered.
I wonder if any security system was installed?

ComUtoR

Established Member
Unfortunately they will be sold on by the 'back door' and never recovered.

Who is buying heritage equipment via a 'back door' ? Is there a black market for it ? Give it a week and check ebay.

peteb

Sadly brass has a high scrap value compared to other metals.............

ComUtoR

Established Member
You know what I mean.

Nope, totally didn't and never really heard that phrase before. If anything its probably general vandalism and its been binned already. I doubt it would be targetted for scrap metal. Mindless opportunism.

eBay proves my point.

Any stolen goods and Id be looking on ebay. It's pretty trackable so you are looking for stupid crims but even places like facebook marketplace I'd be checking.

merry

Ths week I received an announcement that HOPS (Heritage Operations Processing System, hops.org.uk) has added a register of stolen items for the Heritage sector. Hopefully this will aid collectors, and auctioneeers etc., to identify stolen items more easily. Let's hope that it helps a few more stolen items be recovered - although of course this only helps where the buyers are honest & well-meaning, or the sales channel takes care to check whether items are stolen, but it's a start. And of course, if you are considering buying something do please check the register first!

Sadly heritage buildings (like many industrial premises) can be hard to secure to modern standards, at least without affecting the heritage nature of the place. And as noted above, the items have value even as scrap, let alone as collectable artifacts. Whilst there are things "worth" stealing, sadly some people will think it's OK to do so & not care about the impact on others.

railfan99

Established Member
HOPS (Heritage Operations Processing System, hops.org.uk) has added a register of stolen items for the Heritage sector. H

How confident are you that every heritage railway has separately photographed every potential 'item of interest' to thieves such as signs, lamps and so on?

At some with museums and many lineside signs, this could be a significant task.