• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

train and platform shuffle Stoke 27/11/21...

Status
Not open for further replies.

exbrel

Just to pacify the wife, she was due to travel Stoke on Trent to Euston, saturday 27th Nov. it was due to depart at 0648 off of platform 1,, at 0715 it was announced platform alteration to platform 2, where a train arrived she boarded only a few mins later to be told by the guard that this was a Crewe to Euston diverted by a signal failure between Stafford and Crewe. Then he said unfortuantly this service was terminated here due to a problem with the train, and all the passengers were to go to platform 1, where another train was calling. Which came in approx. 0725, and was away by 0730, and arrived Euston at 0925 or there about, my problem (as a ex-railman )is explaining why the platform shuffle and then the train problem... please help. thanks very much.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

seagull

Possibly first part (platform change) could have been platform staff getting confused about which Euston service actually was in front of which, or unclear communication on the matter from the signalbox.

That diverted train was likely what caused the delay to the train your wife should have got - especially if it was having problems.

The troubled train was possibly put in platform 2 to get it out of the way, or to allow it to return more easily northbound to depot at Crewe if having issues.

What those issues were, no idea, sorry.

Spartacus

Established Member
The train that rolled in at 0715 and was cancelled due to a fault WAS the 0648 Euston, the train that called in platform 1 was the diverted Crewe - Euston service. I can't explain the mix up but expect them putting it in platform 2 was to get it out of the was of trains behind it while the fault was either attended to to or it cancelled and sent back, I thin k there was only one train approaching on the down, but quite a few on the up at that time.

exbrel

thank you seagull and spartacus, i will put that to swmbo and hope for the best...

Status
Not open for further replies.