• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Train Control Management System (TCMS)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hitacky IET

Most computer controlled trains operate use a Train Control Management System (TCMS) and a majority of faults can be fixed by a simple restart of the TCMS.

My question is how often do TCMS systems get periodically restarted? Once a day? Once a week? Once a month?

Like most personal computers and smartphones, a good restart can clear a multitude of issues including faults, errors, memory clearance and operational lag.

Traction motor fault? Restart the TCMS.
Engines dropped out? Restart the TCMS.
Pantograph ripped off? Restart the TCMS.
Wheels nicked by local scroats? Restart the TCMS.
:D

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

aleggatta

Generally, the on most units the TCMS is only restarted when the unit is aux’d off and on, on odd occasions the TCMS can fault and shut down with the unit still aux’d on, but that’s few and far between.

20atthemagnet

The TCMS itself doesnt get restarted unless you aux off. The main issues around faults on modern EMUs come from modules that report to the TCMS. Auxing off and on reboots all of these as sometimes modules and sensors log things that arent actually happening. To give an example I was told my transformer was on fire the other day (it wasnt but the sensor that decides whether it is or not decided it was) causing a chain of faults/events after. Fixed by a reboot.

So in short there is no requirement to restart the TCMS at all. A train will stay on for as long it is in working order or needs to be panned down for operational purposes or to clear an issue.

squizzler

Established Member
I would suggest that the OP might wish to invest in a newer computer or mobile phone if his experience suggests that a daily reboot is needed to prevent issues on his own gadgets! With railway stuff presumably being professional quality and built for failsafe reliability, it should do better still than the consumer product examples given. If not, then there is perhaps something wrong with the operating system in general, or the hardware on that given unit.

Modern operating systems can be made that run indefinitely and ideally need restarting only when some crucial part of the system has been upgraded. Things have come on a bit since Windows 95!

rebmcr

Established Member
I would suggest that the OP might wish to invest in a newer computer or mobile phone if his experience suggests that a daily reboot is needed to prevent issues on his own gadgets! With railway stuff presumably being professional quality and built for failsafe reliability, it should do better still than the consumer product examples given. If not, then there is perhaps something wrong with the operating system in general, or the hardware on that given unit.

Modern operating systems can be made that run indefinitely and ideally need restarting only when some crucial part of the system has been upgraded. Things have come on a bit since Windows 95!

Don't be so sure. There are many examples of aircraft (and air traffic control) systems that need reboots at odd intervals, because of the inherent nature of software that interacts with hardware counters.

Matt Parker covered it in his book, and goes into detail in this promo video:

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers

Or a problem with crew training on newer stock which have more electronics / computing in the cab. Errors that could be rectified easier if the staff have been fully briefed result in a reset instead as that will solve the problem even if its 'nuclear' option.

ComUtoR

Established Member
Or a problem with crew training on newer stock which have more electronics / computing in the cab. Errors that could be rectified easier if the staff have been fully briefed result in a reset instead as that will solve the problem even if its 'nuclear' option.

The problem is that the responsibility is being removed from staff. The first point of call is the Signaller, then you have to call control, then you may be asked to reboot. I could, quite easily, reach behind me and flip out the mcb and have it reset before I even speak to control. Even before any cut and run policy is applied, time is being wasted on needless phonecalls to be told to do something that we could have done already.

I was trained to know the ins and outs of every MCB on my train. Now my "training" consists of making a phone call and following instructions.

Nym

Established Member
The problem is that the responsibility is being removed from staff. The first point of call is the Signaller, then you have to call control, then you may be asked to reboot. I could, quite easily, reach behind me and flip out the mcb and have it reset before I even speak to control. Even before any cut and run policy is applied, time is being wasted on needless phonecalls to be told to do something that we could have done already.

I was trained to know the ins and outs of every MCB on my train. Now my "training" consists of making a phone call and following instructions.

And I doubt the training of the person you phone is any better than this. Back in the good old days you needed to know how to repair basic faults on units with fuse changes etc being expected without even so much of a peep to control. And when you called control, you got the Call Point Maintainer, that was one of the best maintainers on the fleet. Nowerdays it's TCMS reset or drag it, I don't ever see any real problem solving any more.

bramling

Veteran Member

With the person on the other end likely having no more knowledge than a folder in front of them with “defect handling” on the front.

hick

Depends on the TOC. We're actively giving some quick fixes back to the driver without calling anyone as we don't have the time the phonecalls take. On a metro railway 2 minutes delay is 2 minutes too many!

Status
Not open for further replies.