• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Train lamp

Status
Not open for further replies.

SargeNpton

Established Member
I've had this British Rail oil-lamp for 35 years or more, given to me by my brother-in-law. It has two clear lenses on opposite faces, with the other two faces having mounts to hang it onto a bracket.

Having to be side-mounted, and showing white lights front and rear, my thought was that it would have been hung onto the brake van at the rear of a freight train. Possibly to indicate to the driver/fireman that the train was entire. Can anybody confirm that, or suggest an alternative explanation for its use?

Lamp.JPG

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

SargeNpton

Established Member
Just found this on another forum, the bold being the point of interest...

Section H of the rule book.

7.4 Side Lamps

7.4.1 Guards of freight trains not fitted throughout with the automatic brake must ensure that in addition to the train tail lamp, two side lamps are carried on the rearmost brakevan. After sunset or during fog or falling snow they must show a white light forward , but the indication to the rear must be as follows:-

a). On main lines,fast lines and single lines- two red lights.

b). On slow lines,relief lines or loops adjoining main or fast lines and running in the same direction- one red light on the side furthest away from the main or fast line and one white light on the side nearest the main or fast line.

c). On goods lines or loops adjoining slow or relief lines and running in the same direction - two red lights.

d). On reception sidings - the side lights must be removed or obscured when the train has passed into the sidings.

Juts looked inside my lamp again and the lens on the door includes a clear slide - looks as if that could have been replaced by a red slide when the need arose.

John Webb

Established Member
The other side of the lamp has a slot into which a red filter can be dropped to give the 'red-to-rear' indication as required by the rules SargNpton quotes in post #4 above. Further indication of it being a guards van side lamp is the location of the clip to take the lamp iron being on the side.

edwin_m

Veteran Member
The other side of the lamp has a slot into which a red filter can be dropped to give the 'red-to-rear' indication as required by the rules SargNpton quotes in post #4 above. Further indication of it being a guards van side lamp is the location of the clip to take the lamp iron being on the side.
According to the OP there is another lamp bracket mount on the other side. So it only needs one lens to have fittings for a red filter, and it can be hung on whichever side allows that lens to shine backwards. That the filter slot is on the door side presumably means that the filter can be inserted and removed more easily by opening the door, and also that the door (open or closed) is facing to the rear so the slipstream of the train won't blow the lamp out.

Status
Not open for further replies.