• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Train Sim World

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Iskra

Established Member
Nope, not enough interest in it for me. I’m much more likely to pick up the upcoming Fife Circle Line as it’s way more scenic and interesting.

CTS1990

Nope, not enough interest in it for me. I’m much more likely to pick up the upcoming Fife Circle Line as it’s way more scenic and interesting.
Yes, I agree. Although I'm not sure if Rivet have modelled the other Forth crossings, which would be a real shame.

They don't have a good reputation for engine sounds, so I hope this 170 is a break from the past!

Iskra

Established Member
Yes, I agree. Although I'm not sure if Rivet have modelled the other Forth crossings, which would be a real shame.

They don't have a good reputation for engine sounds, so I hope this 170 is a break from the past!
The Scotrail (SR) Twitter account was publicising the upcoming TSW route today, and there’s a SR 158 in the pipeline, so hopefully this means there is an official arrangement which is allowed prototypical sounds to be procured.

CTS1990

The Scotrail (SR) Twitter account was publicising the upcoming TSW route today, and there’s a SR 158 in the pipeline, so hopefully this means there is an official arrangement which is allowed prototypical sounds to be procured.
The 158 is, I think, the version that Skyhook created for MML. That's been very well-modelled, both sounds and physics, so shouldn't have any bother with that.

Bedpan

Established Member
I bought the original Microsoft Train Simulator about 24 years ago, which even back then I found totally underwhelming partly due to simply having just four levels of train/engine noise and the fact you could stop a train travelling at about 60mph in half the length of a platform. I then downloaded BVE4 and OpenBVE which I thought was fantastic, particularly Network West Midlands, Birmingham Cross City South, and the District Line routes, but it must be 15 years since I lost them when I changed computers. Recently I decided it was time to drag myself into the 21st Century and opened a Steam account and bought Railroader which I enjoy, but that had whetted my appetite for buying another train simulator particularly with the sale on at the moment.

So....getting to the point, is TSW4 the best one around? I 'm asking because I saw a bloke on YouTube the other day who seemed to think Train Simulator Classic was more authentic, also I haven't a clue which version of TSW I =should get ie Standard, DeLuxe or Special.

I've got a Dell XPS8970, 4 years old with an Intel Core [email protected] (8CPUs) whatever that means, 8GB RAM (although as far as I can see from YouTube, upgrading to 16GB seems to be fairly straightforward such that even I could have a go at doing it) and an NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1660 Ti video with Approx Total Memory 8877 MB , Display memory (VRAM) 5979 MB and shared memory 3998 MB.

I've got two hard drives, a 500 GB SSD and a 1 TB HDD, would it work as well if I installed it on the HDD or does it really need to go on the SSD? The SSD has less available space so I'd rather install it on the HDD if it makes no difference which I put it on.

I suppose if I buy it and it doesn't work, I won't have lost much money if it's sold at 70% off.

Oh, one last question of anybody has managed to read this far, once you've bought something on Steam, can you transfer it onto a new computer when you get one?

Energy

Established Member
So....getting to the point, is TSW4 the best one around? I 'm asking because I saw a bloke on YouTube the other day who seemed to think Train Simulator Classic was more authentic, also I haven't a clue which version of TSW I =should get ie Standard, DeLuxe or Special.
TSW is more casual and has less routes. However, graphically it is a lot better and its the one I'd recommend to most people.

For the various editions its just varying which routes are included, on Steam if you press Package Info it will show you the DLC (routes and additional rolling stock) included in that edition.
I've got a Dell XPS8970, 4 years old with an Intel Core [email protected] (8CPUs) whatever that means, 8GB RAM (although as far as I can see from YouTube, upgrading to 16GB seems to be fairly straightforward such that even I could have a go at doing it) and an NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1660 Ti video with Approx Total Memory 8877 MB , Display memory (VRAM) 5979 MB and shared memory 3998 MB.
That should run it well. I'd advice upgrading the RAM to 16GB, it's fairly easy to do so with any DDR4-3200Mhz kit.
I've got two hard drives, a 500 GB SSD and a 1 TB HDD, would it work as well if I installed it on the HDD or does it really need to go on the SSD? The SSD has less available space so I'd rather install it on the HDD if it makes no difference which I put it on.
HDD should be fine.
I suppose if I buy it and it doesn't work, I won't have lost much money if it's sold at 70% off.
Steam has a generous return policy, as long as its less than 2 weeks since purchase and the playtime is less than 2 hours you'll get a full refund.
Oh, one last question of anybody has managed to read this far, once you've bought something on Steam, can you transfer it onto a new computer when you get one?
Yes. Steam links games to your account, any PC you have Steam downloaded and signed in on will let you download your games.

I'd recommend you enable Steam Guard for 2 factor authentication.

Bedpan

Established Member
Crikey, thanks very much Energy for such a comprehensive reply at this ungodly hour of the morning. Very much appreciated.

CarrotPie

So....getting to the point, is TSW4 the best one around? I 'm asking because I saw a bloke on YouTube the other day who seemed to think Train Simulator Classic was more authentic, also I haven't a clue which version of TSW I =should get ie Standard, Deluxe or Special.
IMO (others think differently) TSC is the most simulation-y of the two. The physics are better, there are way more trains, routes and modding (e.g. scenarios) capability. TSW is more gamified, especially in terms of being able to walk around, find collectibles, etc. The difference is very much like OMSI 2 and The Bus, if you know what I mean (I don't blame you if you don't). If your PC can handle good graphics and you aren't so fussed about the simulation aspect (and you're prepared to pay £30 for the new version every year), then go for TSW. If your computer isn't as good (say, a laptop), you're prepared to deal with the occasional crash and you want those modding capabilities and an accurate simulation, go for TSC.

Iskra

Established Member
I’d agree that Train Simulator Classic (TSC) was more immersive and authentic, but you needed a lot of 3rd party DLC to get it that way and even then it was always a bit unstable.

TSW is the best around if any of the limited selection of routes really appeals to you, but it is a bit too arcade-y so I’ve not spent anywhere near as much time playing it as TSC, I just dip in now and again.

Trackman

Established Member
So....getting to the point, is TSW4 the best one around? I 'm asking because I saw a bloke on YouTube the other day who seemed to think Train Simulator Classic was more authentic ....
TSW4 is the best. The bloke on You-Tube is totally incorrect.
The TSW4 physics are what make it.
For example, drive a class 45 (or whatever) on TS classic and stop at a station then do the same thing on TSW4, you'll see the difference in braking - it's more realistic. Not just braking, a lot of other things as well.

Tramfan

Personally I prefer sitting down and doing runs in the timetable mode of TSW, rather than the scenarios of TSC.

As has been said, TSC has far more content, although it seems more developers are starting to get on board with TSW route/building.

Trackman

Established Member
As has been said, TSC has far more content, although it seems more developers are starting to get on board with TSW route/building.
There is some sort of tool released I believe to do this, not looked into it though.
That's opinion, not the gospel truth...
True, but the physics are 100% better on TSW.
There's currently a BOGOF sale for Xbox.
Woohoo!
"I say, You buy one, you get one free!" advert springs to mind.
He was prosecuted for tax invasion about 10 years back for not declaring earnings, a bit daft when you are on national television.

CTS1990

There's been a huge fallout from the Fife Circle route. I don't discuss this on the TSW forums because they can be deeply chaotic and unpleasant. I know Rivet have a poor reputation for route building, but apparently the 170 is well-modelled...?

Strat-tastic

Established Member
Yes I know what you mean about the forum.
I'm interested in that route but am waiting a while to gauge reaction and whether the updates come through, including the Leven branch.
Anyone here got the route yet?

richa2002

Established Member
TSW4 is the best. The bloke on You-Tube is totally incorrect.
The TSW4 physics are what make it.
For example, drive a class 45 (or whatever) on TS classic and stop at a station then do the same thing on TSW4, you'll see the difference in braking - it's more realistic. Not just braking, a lot of other things as well.
A distinction needs to be made when comparing TSW4 & TSC. If you're comparing with a vanilla TSC with no third party additions, TSW is far better. If you are happy to spend a bit of wonga on third party additions for TSC, in my opinion at least, it is far superior in variety, graphical quality, audio & playability.
Variety - liveries from all eras often included in packs rather than a single livery that suits one route during a certain era. Lots of routes to choose from.
Graphical quality - No strange over and under exposure or overly shiny looking surfaces. Trees don't "pop" in like they do on TSW.
Audio - Far more audio channels available resulting in far more detailed sounds. Scripting can also be used to activate sounds in a more realistic manner.
Playability - TSW on the whole is just following a timetable to green signals. TSC scenarios do a much better job at recreating actual real life operations with adverse signals.

There's no doubt TSW is far easier and cheaper to pick up and play but if you're serious about proper varied simulation, TSC is far more rewarding; it just takes more effort and money.

I suggest Trackman tries his test again with the TSW 37 and the AP 37. Then rate the experience on visual/audio quality & physics.

Trackman

Established Member
I suggest Trackman tries his test again with the TSW 37 and the AP 37. Then rate the experience on visual/audio quality & physics.
AP 37 is it a standalone or enhancement pack?
Might have a play with it.
Actually I think I may have it, will need to check later.

CTS1990

Yes I know what you mean about the forum.
I'm interested in that route but am waiting a while to gauge reaction and whether the updates come through, including the Leven branch.
Anyone here got the route yet?
I bought the route today, with some misgivings. I think Rivet have done a pretty respectable job...the negativity before release is definitely overblown. I'd say a solid 7 out of 10, with some improvements required. The Forth Bridge and surrounding scenery is truly excellent. One of the biggest highlights of a UK TSW route.

Plus it's good fun to grab the EMR and XC liveries on Creators Club for the 170 and use them in/around Peterborough on the ECML route.

MistaMatthews

Hi

Train sim world newbie here. Please excuse my lack of knowledge on this one. I’ve just downloaded TSW4 on my sons Xbox. I can see that there are extra routes available to purchase but the UK selection seems slightly limited. I’ve noticed there are third party add ons which have some content that I’m after. Can these be installed on Xbox?

Many thanks!

JohnMcL7

I'm a bit disappointed at the lack of a 158 and sounds like the scenarios/timetables are lacking for the route and the 170 but still bought the Fife Circle, I used to commute daily between Edinburgh and Dundee on a 170 so I'm quite excited to get a route I've travelled on regularly and a train I've been on regularly for the first time with TSW.

CTS1990

I'm a bit disappointed at the lack of a 158 and sounds like the scenarios/timetables are lacking for the route and the 170 but still bought the Fife Circle, I used to commute daily between Edinburgh and Dundee on a 170 so I'm quite excited to get a route I've travelled on regularly and a train I've been on regularly for the first time with TSW.
Skyhook are creating a ScotRail version of the 158. It's due out in a couple of months, I think.

Bedpan

Established Member
Just to say, in the end I bought he DeLuxe edition of TSW4, with a view to buying the Goblin and probably Fife Circle routes in due course. I think i'm going to like TSW but I'm finding it a bit complicated in some respects, for example took me ages to find my way back to the "Fundementals" section in the Training Centre, and have had to take notes on paper to make sure I don't get lost again. Also they use a 323 in the training centre, and there is also an 8F which I am looking forward to using, but I'm not sure either of these are usable outside the training centre. I've found loads of very useful YouTubes on various routes but annoyingly they are a bit sparse on basic issues. The physics etc seem reasonably realistic although admittedly I'm only comparing with BVE.

I haven't got too far yet largely because I also bought Railroader (early access)a few weeks ago which I must say I find almost too immersive, I end up thinking about planning what to do next even when I'm away from the computer.

Also they use a 323 in the training centre, and there is also an 8F which I am looking forward to using, but I'm not sure either of these are usable outside the training centre.
To use the 323 and 8F in regular services, you would either need to:
A) create a scenario of them running on a route, for example the East Coast Main Line
B) Buy routes that include the trains in question. The 323 is featured in the Glossop Line and the Cross-city Line, and the 8F is featured in Spirit of Steam and Peak Forest. This option puts them in an accurate livery without using the Creator Sharing Hub, which you would need for the Training Centre + Scenario version.