• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trainee Train Driver - Virgin Trains East Coast

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

FManc

Just wondering what the format of the day was for those of you that have sat the tests recently. If anyone didn't pass the paper tests did they have to leave during the day? The same applied for the computer tests I imagine. I take it they gave you some sort of break around lunch to go grab something to eat as I imagine you're there for most of the day.

Last edited:

455driver

Veteran Member
I expect once you get your driving hours in and have your final assessment you are qualified and will receive full pay. I'd expect around 11-12 months

You are 'qualified' when you do your first solo driving turn, so as you state around about 12-13 months depending on how long it takes to get your hours in and route learning done.

HTBFD

Ah, brilliant news, well done! Were you at York?

Yeah York on Monday, and based in Newcastle. So grateful for the quick response too, as it would have been a very anxious week!

Davidson4301

You are wrong like.

So are we only on the 26k for 20 weeks ? Then up to next increment for the next 30 odd weeks and then full pay after that? That's a lot quicker than I anticipated.

A friend of mine drives for tpe and it took two years for him to make full pay ? I suppose I can ask all of this on the 18th when I go down to York .

Last edited:

Ffcsteve14

So are we only on the 26k for 20 weeks ? Then up to next increment for the next 30 odd weeks and then full pay after that? That's a lot quicker than I anticipated.

A friend of mine drives for tpe and it took two years for him to make full pay ? I suppose I can ask all of this on the 18th when I go down to York .

Im unable to attend on the 18th so any information you gather RE money et. Could you post on here? Would be very appreciative

There seems to be a lot of obbsession with money on this thread! I hope people aren't going for this job primarily because of the salary.

Last edited:

Davidson4301

I think it's perfectly reasonable to want to know the salary of a new job don't you ?
Also if this job paid less than my current one I wouldn't of went it for it. I don't love trains that much. Of course money is a major factor when applying for jobs .

Last edited:

martin2345uk

Established Member
Thanks! I think it's mostly the MMI I'm worried about as I've heard of some right horror stories. I've prepared for the generic 6 qtn/themes as well as another 5-10 qtns/themes that could come all using the STAR format. I've got a backup as well for most of these. Lets just hope my mind doesn't go blank on the day :o

How'd it go today mate? [emoji736]

FManc

How'd it go today mate? [emoji736]

I really have no idea! I thought the tests were pretty straightforward. My only doubt is the ATAVT! Not very optimistic about the MMI though. The questions were pretty standard and I wasn't asked to change any of my answers. However I don't really think I handled the probing questions very well and I think that'll be my downfall. I think I was in there for about 60-70 mins. I thought we'd find out if we had passed the paper and computer tests before sitting the MMI but it seems I'll be finding out when I get the decision email from VTEC. If I have failed, which I think I have then i'll have to ask for clarification as to what tests I've actually failed.

Last edited:

xtradj

I really have no idea! I thought the tests were pretty straightforward. My only doubt is the ATAVT! Not very optimistic about the MMI though. The questions were pretty standard and I wasn't asked to change any of my answers. However I don't really think I handled the probing questions very well and I think that'll be my downfall. I think I was in there for about 60-70 mins. I thought we'd find out if we had passed the paper and computer tests before sitting the MMI but it seems I'll be finding out when I get the decision email from VTEC. If I have failed, which I think I have then i'll have to ask for claricarion as to what tests I've actually failed.

That's strange we were told instantly after the interview of we had passed. Good luck

FManc

That's strange we were told instantly after the interview of we had passed. Good luck

Thanks! Yeah I thought it was strange tbh! Maybe it was cos we weren't sitting the tests at the actual OPC centre in Watford. Who knows! They said the tests needed to be checked and verified etc etc and then passed onto the VTEC team this evening.

danyurl

Thanks! Yeah I thought it was strange tbh! Maybe it was cos we weren't sitting the tests at the actual OPC centre in Watford. Who knows! They said the tests needed to be checked and verified etc etc and then passed onto the VTEC team this evening.

Yeah that's strange. At ours they marked all our written tests first and told us we'd all passed. Then same thing for the computerised tests. And then I found immediately that I'd passed my MMI, albeit there was only 4 of us doing the tests on the day, not sure if that would make much difference?

vintagegt

Yeah that's strange. At ours they marked all our written tests first and told us we'd all passed. Then same thing for the computerised tests. And then I found immediately that I'd passed my MMI, albeit there was only 4 of us doing the tests on the day, not sure if that would make much difference?

This is a bit strange. There were 4 of us at our day too and we weren't told the results of anything. We were told it all had to be passed to VTEC to make decisions on the results.

As it turned out we found out very quickly anyway but seems odd how it isn't a standard procedure one way or the other.

I think it's perfectly reasonable to want to know the salary of a new job don't you ?
Also if this job paid less than my current one I wouldn't of went it for it. I don't love trains that much. Of course money is a major factor when applying for jobs .

You've just clarified my point.

danyurl

This is a bit strange. There were 4 of us at our day too and we weren't told the results of anything. We were told it all had to be passed to VTEC to make decisions on the results.

As it turned out we found out very quickly anyway but seems odd how it isn't a standard procedure one way or the other.

I'm sure I read before the day that they would mark each part as we went on and they would send you home if you hadn't passed a certain part as there would be no need in keeping you there? Find it weird that different places did it differently!

FManc

I'm sure I read before the day that they would mark each part as we went on and they would send you home if you hadn't passed a certain part as there would be no need in keeping you there? Find it weird that different places did it differently!

I'm quite happy I didn't know my fate as the day went on as at least I got to sit everything. On the flipside it makes the waiting game worse as I've got no idea if I've even passed the stage 1/2 tests let alone the MMI.

vintagegt

Yeah, I was the same. I thought if you failed anything you were shown the door but to be fair, I think the way we did it is better as if you did fail any aspect and did decide to have another go after 6 months, you only had to resit the aspects you weren't up to scratch on so I'm all for this approach.

CJM

I successfully passed the testing the other day:D. Everyone undertook all the tests, and there was nothing said during the day that we would be filtered out, and we were informed the results would be passed to the team either that evening or the following morning, I expected the latter. However, I received an email later that day informing me of the great news:lol:! I now just have to wait for further information.

Davidson4301

I successfully passed the testing the other day:D. Everyone undertook all the tests, and there was nothing said during the day that we would be filtered out, and we were informed the results would be passed to the team either that evening or the following morning, I expected the latter. However, I received an email later that day informing me of the great news:lol:! I now just have to wait for further information.

Congrats. It's a great feeling. I can't wait to get started now.

Last edited:

vintagegt

Thanks. Have you had anything further information on dates etc?

Congrats from me too, well done!

Its medical next and I think that's in Edinburgh but VTEC will let us all know in due course. I've still not had word of when.

CJM

Congrats from me too, well done!

Its medical next and I think that's in Edinburgh but VTEC will let us all know in due course. I've still not had word of when.

Thanks!!! Have you just received an email with the good news, and saying they will be intouch soon?

Davidson4301

Thanks. Have you had anything further information on dates etc?

Not really. I was told that I'm "booked" on the 23rd October course but I haven't had anything official. She said contracts would be sent out in next few weeks so I will wait and see.

vintagegt

Thanks!!! Have you just received an email with the good news, and saying they will be intouch soon?

Yeah, exactly that. I got the email on Tuesday so if I was you I'd just relax, be glad the email was good news and just await further instructions.

I'm as keen to get started as anyone but checking emails 100 times a day and emailing VTEC for updates all the time ain't gonna help. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.