• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trainee Train Driver - Virgin Trains East Coast

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

KOA

See my above post

Thanks for that info and should have looked just below Sirgerbil message to see your one. At least that's cleared that part up. Hopefully they can give us more actual info on start dates after October than what's stated in the email. Here's to hoping I guess...

Sirgerbil

Enjoy yourselves those that attend the event this evening. I won't be able to make it unfortunately as I'm working a late turn.

Please post anything interesting you may hear!

Hi everyone, first post on here but I've been following for a while. Congratulations to everyone else that has passed testing and medicals! I will be attending the keep in touch event tonight, but not sure if to go suited and booted (suit, shirt and tie) or to go smart casual (smart jeans with a shirt). What's everyone else wearing? Now that I'm this far in the process I don't want to turn up over/under dressed :lol:

Peppajug78

Hi everyone, first post on here but I've been following for a while. Congratulations to everyone else that has passed testing and medicals! I will be attending the keep in touch event tonight, but not sure if to go suited and booted (suit, shirt and tie) or to go smart casual (smart jeans with a shirt). What's everyone else wearing? Now that I'm this far in the process I don't want to turn up over/under dressed :lol:

I will be attending also and thought about this but have decided smart casual is the way to go as this is a meet and greet rather than an interview/assessment etc.

FManc

If anyone could please relay any valuable info from this evening it would be much appreciated :)

danyurl

I'm going smart casual too, thought it would be quite relaxed. Will try and remember and relay any points for those who can't make it.

vintagegt

I emailed Erin and she said it was a smart casual affair tonight so it's jeans and shirt for me.

See you all there. :)

Davidson4301

I was just going in jeans and t-shirt ? Is this academy actually in York station ? Also , it's says 6-9pm but is it like a drop in thing between those hours or do we have to attend the full thing? I've got an early start tomorrow (4.30am) so don't want to be training it back to Newcastle after 9pm if I can help it.

Edit - I can't attend tonight as I'm stuck at work .
Shame but I'm sure I'll find out the gossip on here. Enjoy it those who are going.

Last edited:
I couldn't attend last night due to prior arrangements, any information on what it was all about would be appreciated

KOA

A very informative event and was great to meet those who we will be working with at KX. There was a lot of Q&A and think everyone got most of their questions answered. The main thing for me was that those based at KX depot will only go as far as Newcastle during their runs. Attending last night really did show me how blessed and proud we should be that we actually got in to work for Virgin as it feels like an amazing company to work for.

Ffcsteve14

A very informative event and was great to meet those who we will be working with at KX. There was a lot of Q&A and think everyone got most of their questions answered. The main thing for me was that those based at KX depot will only go as far as Newcastle during their runs. Attending last night really did show me how blessed and proud we should be that we actually got in to work for Virgin as it feels like an amazing company to work for.

Anything said in regards to contracts/offer letters? If you have a start date is this confirmed or as it's been a while dates may change? Thanks

KOA

Anything said in regards to contracts/offer letters? If you have a start date is this confirmed or as it's been a while dates may change? Thanks

Spoke to Becky directly and she has asked those who haven't had start dates to be patient as they will get round to sorting it for everyone. I don't have a start date yet and could be put on a course in October/November but she couldn't confirm. Offers will go out to everyone once they have a start date confirmed.

It was funny speaking to her as we spoke about this forum and she knows about it and how people haven't had their emails replied to by her. She just said she's been extremely busy and they have a process to this and don't want to overload the current training courses that have started. Understandable I guess.

Ffcsteve14

Spoke to Becky directly and she has asked those who haven't had start dates to be patient as they will get round to sorting it for everyone. I don't have a start date yet and could be put on a course in October/November but she couldn't confirm. Offers will go out to everyone once they have a start date confirmed.

It was funny speaking to her as we spoke about this forum and she knows about it and how people haven't had their emails replied to by her. She just said she's been extremely busy and they have a process to this and don't want to overload the current training courses that have started. Understandable I guess.

Sounded like a good evening! Thanks for the info!!

FManc

Cheers for the info! :D
Just hoping I get first choice of depot now.

danyurl

Cheers for the info! :D
Just hoping I get first choice of depot now.

They reiterated last night they're going to really try to ensure everybody gets their first choice so hopefully you should be okay. I'm just desperate for a start date aha.

Skyrail

Hi All,

I've been following the thread for a while as I've been working my way through the recruitment process. Was absolutely over the moon to get the "congratulations you passed the psychometrics" on Friday. What a feeling, I still can't believe it. As an average joe off the street, to be offered this opportunity, I'm stunned. As has been said by many before, this forum has been massively helpful so thanks to all who have positively contributed to the thread. I hope to meet some of you later in the year!

Tyrion

Hi All,

I've been following the thread for a while as I've been working my way through the recruitment process. Was absolutely over the moon to get the "congratulations you passed the psychometrics" on Friday. What a feeling, I still can't believe it. As an average joe off the street, to be offered this opportunity, I'm stunned. As has been said by many before, this forum has been massively helpful so thanks to all who have positively contributed to the thread. I hope to meet some of you later in the year!

Congratulations, which depot you off to?

FManc

Hi All,

Congratulations! It's such a great feeling isn't it :D
I found out nearly 2 weeks ago and even though I don't think we'll be starting for some time as most of the initial courses are now full, it's great to have something to look forward to. What pyschometric testing day did you attend?
I'm not too sure what's happening with medicals. If we're not starting until the end of 2017/start of 2018 will we just do it closer to our start date or will we get them out of the way sooner.

Last edited:

Skyrail

Congratulations! It's such a great feeling isn't it :D
I found out nearly 2 weeks ago and even though I don't think we'll be starting for some time as most of the initial courses are now full, it's great to have something to look forward to. What pyschometric testing day did you attend?
I'm not too sure what's happening with medicals. If we're not starting until the end of 2017/start of 2018 will we just do it closer to our start date or will we get them out of the way sooner.

I tested in Edinburgh. Have put in for Edinburgh or Leeds. FManc, you're right, it still hasn't sunk in but I'm so chuffed. I feel the same about the medical, although it's reassuring to have the offer so I'm waaaayyy more relaxed than I was prior to Friday! The last 6 months has been a roller coaster of emotions!

danyurl

Hi All,

Congratulations! Welcome to the the waiting game :D

HTBFD

That it is... Been two weeks since I got my 'congrats' email and I can't wait to find out when I start!

Congrats all, where are you based?

I had psych tests early April and waiting on a medical date at present.

HTBFD

I'm hoping for Newcastle, although seem to be quite far down the list I think. Speaking with others at the event the other week it appears there's quite a few already done medicals and waiting for a course date.
Could be a long wait, but be more than worth it in the end

danyurl

I'm hoping for Newcastle, although seem to be quite far down the list I think. Speaking with others at the event the other week it appears there's quite a few already done medicals and waiting for a course date.
Could be a long wait, but be more than worth it in the end

I'm hopefully going to be based at Newcastle too. A lad that I met on my Psychometrics day (and again last week) was talking to one of the staff who's based there and they said the current average driver age at Newcastle is 55 which I find pretty incredible!

vintagegt

I'm hopefully going to be based at Newcastle too. A lad that I met on my Psychometrics day (and again last week) was talking to one of the staff who's based there and they said the current average driver age at Newcastle is 55 which I find pretty incredible!

I spoke with David Horne at the event in York the other week and he said there was a lot happening at Newcastle with a fair amount looking to retire in the next few years, most likely due to an older workforce as you said. He said there should be plenty of opportunity at Newcastle in the next few years so I'm hoping we'll all be ok.

That's because when BR split, a lot of the senior men went to the intercity company's.

Status
Not open for further replies.