• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trainee Train Drivers Required GTR.

Status
Not open for further replies.

steveo43

Hi, just seen on GTRs careers website they are advertising for trainee train drivers for Great Northern, south routes and Thameslink at Ashford. Closing date is the 10th March. Hope this is useful for anyone who is interested in becoming a driver.
Also can anyone please tell me what driver depots GN have to serve the south routes?. Unfortunately I think GN will be too far for myself. Many thanks in advance and best of luck for anyone who apply's.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

inthearea

There is no depot as they are being split up. You could be based anywhere such as Hornsey

Pilotman

Yes as inthearea just said you could be based at Hornsey, the depot for drivers is not quite their at the moment but its in the pipeline, other new depot will be Welwyn GC. They try and keep things open for flexibility so you can be based at any of these locations

Need2

How do GTR expect you to apply or not apply if you live more than 60 minutes from the depot, the depot that no one knows where it exists?

Dave999

They will place you according to where you live as long as it's reasonable.

OneTrackMind

• The Thameslink advert states "Please ONLY APPLY if you live within 60 minutes travel time of Ashford Depot or application will not be considered"
  • The Great Northern advert states "This translates to candidates being able to reach the depot within 45 minutes total travel time."

Arguably I could relocate to within 45 minutes travel time of which ever GTR depot I would be allocated too.

Does anyone know when these positions are likely due to start?

inthearea

Its broken and the email address is also incorrect - keep an eye they will soon realise and I reckon will be fixed monday - wont be anyone there today.

As for welwyn garden city being a depot - this is also true but a lot of displaced hitchin drivers will end up here as well as a few from KX i can imagine. Either way anyone new will be at the bottom of the pile for the depot. Just apply and go with it. once your in your in

Lasbrisas

That's a shame, a bit too far away for me, 1 hour 20 mins according to google maps

MimiD

Hi All, I will be applying for this role. Has anyone done it before? If so can you please give me some tips. What does the test consist off? It says you only have one hour to complete and it must be done in one sitting. Thanks :)

Last edited:

MimiD

Hi, I'm about to start the test, hopefully the system doesn't crash. Any tips for the test? Thanks

Dave999

That's a shame, a bit too far away for me, 1 hour 20 mins according to google maps

I've just been given a trainee position for GN and I'm out of their application criteria. I ignored that and applied anyway, lucky I did!

MimiD

I've just been given a trainee position for GN and I'm out of their application criteria. I ignored that and applied anyway, lucky I did!

Hi Dave, congratulations on been offered the position. I want to apply tomorrow, I know there's a test that you have to take online as part of the assessment. What's the test like? I want to prepare myself. Thanks

Dave999

I don't remember doing a test when I applied back in October 2015. If you have to do a test now I would of thought it's a situational judgement test, google it to get a heads up.

Last edited:

MimiD

I don't remember doing a test when I applied back in October 2015. If you have to do a test now I would of thought it's a situational judgement test, google it to get a heads up.

Thank you, I'll look into that

djsmith200

do you think you can apply for these if you have an application in for GTR already?

'Thank you for taking the time to apply for a role as a trainee train driver within GTR. Your completed application has been received and is now under consideration. Due to the home postcode which you supplied on your application, we believe you may be based nearer to one of our Thameslink routes. As such, we would like to consider your application for Thameslink, rather than Southern routes.'

rhysa85

do you think you can apply for these if you have an application in for GTR already?

'Thank you for taking the time to apply for a role as a trainee train driver within GTR. Your completed application has been received and is now under consideration. Due to the home postcode which you supplied on your application, we believe you may be based nearer to one of our Thameslink routes. As such, we would like to consider your application for Thameslink, rather than Southern routes.'

You can apply if you haven't taken any driver assessments with them within the last 6 months. If you have applied for other trainee driver roles but not sat any assessments then you're fine. All of this is assuming you haven't used up your 2 strikes previously. Hope that helps

PhoenixBC

I'm going to apply for this one as well, and still haven't heard back from Southern yet. They said within 4-6 weeks regarding the sift and this is week 6 six now.

djsmith200

You can apply if you haven't taken any driver assessments with them within the last 6 months. If you have applied for other trainee driver roles but not sat any assessments then you're fine. All of this is assuming you haven't used up your 2 strikes previously. Hope that helps

cheers pal

I assume this means even if you've passed in the preceding 6 months?

donpoku

Yes I believe so. But me personally I'll apply regardless and wait for an official confirmation of rejection or progression from them (give then more work to do when sifting - Lol not that GTR hasn't got enough on their plate).

rhysa85

The job advertisement says if you have taken an assessment within the last 6 months then don't apply so I'd assume its regardless of the result. Apply anyway, all they can do is say no!

Arvis

The job advertisement says if you have taken an assessment within the last 6 months then don't apply so I'd assume its regardless of the result. Apply anyway, all they can do is say no!
Hi, I really don't understand what could be the reason behind this?
Assessment results are nationally recognised, aren't they?
Why wouldn't they accept candidates who have taken and passed the assessments with another TOC within the last 6 months?

rhysa85

Hi, I really don't understand what could be the reason behind this?
Assessment results are nationally recognised, aren't they?
Why wouldn't they accept candidates who have taken and passed the assessments with another TOC within the last 6 months?

Apologies, I should have been clearer, it's if you have already done an assessment with them (GTR) within the last 6 months then you shouldn't apply.

KourosLloyd

May be wishful thinking but I've got an assessment day with Southern on 27th March. Anyone else going to be on that day at all? :)

KourosLloyd

When did you apply for the post ? to have an assessment day on the 27th ?

I applied back in October and got the invite to the assessment day in January. I had several dates to choose from but I wanted to take my time and prepare thoroughly so decided to wait a little longer and book for end of this month

Status
Not open for further replies.