• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trainee Train Drivers (Talent Bank) - Avanti - Multiple Locations (02/10/22)

nb2001uk

Are you saying that finishing could be seen as a fail? Even if it was 100% accurate?
Never once said I’d ‘got it in the bag’. I think I actually said that it counts for nothing if I’ve failed one of the other tests. We’ll just have to wait and see.. I’ll be sure to keep you updated :)
Obviously that wasn't my point. My point was you should aim for quality rather than quantity. Sure if you got completed it all and got them all right then bravo but if your objective on that/the day was to finish it then as I say you have missed the point of the task.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Dec718

Obviously that wasn't my point. My point was you should aim for quality rather than quantity. Sure if you got completed it all and got them all right then bravo but if your objective was to finish it then as I say you have missed the point of the task.
All I did was go at my normal pace for completing the task. And it just so happens that I was able to finish it in the time provided. I didn’t rush or try and finish it.. I just ended up finishing it regardless.

TacoTraveller

Are you saying that finishing could be seen as a fail? Even if it was 100% accurate?
Think she means that the test is designed for accuracy over speed so it's harder to do if you're completing 43 questions and got them all correct.

Not saying it's impossible but it's probably hard to do. He may have completed all 43 and got a few wrong or got them all correct. He won't find out until his results.

I’ve been using the practice sheets with 25 across which I believe the test has
I've been using the GBT tool off this forum which I think is 20ish across and I'm managing 8 lines in 2 minutes and out of all 26 lines in 2 minute intervals im managing only 2 errors if that gives you any reference

AuraXB

Think she means that the test is designed for accuracy over speed so it's harder to do if you're completing 43 questions and got them all correct.

Not saying it's impossible but it's probably hard to do. He may have completed all 43 and got a few wrong or got them all correct. He won't find out until his results.
Thanks, in hindsight it was a stupid question.

I've been using the GBT tool off this forum which I think is 20ish across and I'm managing 8 lines in 2 minutes and out of all 26 lines in 2 minute intervals im managing only 2 errors if that gives you any reference
Thank you

baz962

Established Member
Out of interest does anyone know what the pass mark would be for the cables and dials?
For the record if I remember correctly I answered 23. My OPC pass results are in the top 2% so you don't have to answer anything like 40.

TP113

For the record if I remember correctly I answered 23. My OPC pass results are in the top 2% so you don't have to answer anything like 40.
Thanks for the reassurance.

I completed my assessment 17th pm session. I will post when I get my results to gauge timelines.

Good luck to everyone who has or are sitting them in the next couple of weeks.

baz962

Established Member
How do you know that you’re in the top 2%?
Becausey old toc that I trained with, get in or at least used to the OPC for a day to teach you to learn again. On that day my course were told that we were top 2% Also we were told our passes were high enough for every toc.

Efini92

Established Member
Cheers baz, that’s good to know. A mate of mine managed 26.

TacoTraveller

Tbf. The dials test is really straight forward so long as you remember the beginning priority as you may get questions where all the dials are the same so you have to remember the priority order.

Then the rest are just lowest number first really. Or at least it was when I last did it.

Wouldn't worry too much about the dots and dials tests. The memory tests are the hardest ones

Aviator88

Some people are just natural 'super-taskers' I've come to realise. Back when I was taking exams for my pilot's licence, there was a test on radiotelephony that was deemed impossible to fail. There was almost an unspoken challenge to see who could finish the exam (26 multiple choice questions) the fastest. Some people took their time regardless... I (as well as many others) finished in around 5 minutes... But there was this one guy who got up from his desk after about 40 SECONDS. There was an audible gasp (and stifled laughter) from the hall, including the invigilator. I'd added the dude on FB and it turned out he'd achieved over 90% on it too and told me he'd always been a very fast reader :lol:

Dec718

Tbf. The dials test is really straight forward so long as you remember the beginning priority as you may get questions where all the dials are the same so you have to remember the priority order.

Then the rest are just lowest number first really. Or at least it was when I last did it.

Wouldn't worry too much about the dots and dials tests. The memory tests are the hardest ones
100% agree with this! Memory one is definitely the hardest. And I feel as though the 1 second screen flash computer test is probably going to be the hardest out of the next stage. Not including the CBI of course :o

Some people are just natural 'super-taskers' I've come to realise. Back when I was taking exams for my pilot's licence, there was a test on radiotelephony that was deemed impossible to fail. There was almost an unspoken challenge to see who could finish the exam (26 multiple choice questions) the fastest. Some people took their time regardless... I (as well as many others) finished in around 5 minutes... But there was this one guy who got up from his desk after about 40 SECONDS. There was an audible gasp (and stifled laughter) from the hall, including the invigilator. I'd added the dude on FB and it turned out he'd achieved over 90% on it too and told me he'd always been a very fast reader :lol:
I had a similar thing when I did the theory test for my coach licence. The multiple choice was 100 questions in 115 minutes. I did it in 8 minutes and the guy guarding the desk outside said I'd done it too fast to pass - got 95%

Anyway that set a challenge for when I did my LGV theory test. 6 minutes and 97%

But then that's a specific type of test I do well at, and then there are others that I do take more slowly- I found with the dials practice question that I can get the order quickly and then it's the finding which of the four options it is takes longer.

TacoTraveller

100% agree with this! Memory one is definitely the hardest. And I feel as though the 1 second screen flash computer test is probably going to be the hardest out of the next stage. Not including the CBI of course :o
Yeah hopefully I get through to that stage after my assessment next week.

The screen one will be the toughest, but I'm not a great at memory stuff usually especially not a lot to remember so hopefully I do well

Aviator88

I had a similar thing when I did the theory test for my coach licence. The multiple choice was 100 questions in 115 minutes. I did it in 8 minutes and the guy guarding the desk outside said I'd done it too fast to pass - got 95%

Anyway that set a challenge for when I did my LGV theory test. 6 minutes and 97%

But then that's a specific type of test I do well at, and then there are others that I do take more slowly- I found with the dials practice question that I can get the order quickly and then it's the finding which of the four options it is takes longer.
Nicely done! I managed 100% on the HGV theory but that was my aim on the day as opposed to speed. 6 minutes and 97% is incredible accuracy and speed though! Good luck with the process bud :smile:

TacoTraveller

But then that's a specific type of test I do well at, and then there are others that I do take more slowly- I found with the dials practice question that I can get the order quickly and then it's the finding which of the four options it is takes longer
Easiest thing with the dials is the look at the lowest needle (which lowest is the left) then work your way higher across them.

If they're all similar you look for the lowest number first and if they're all exactly the same you remember the priority in your head.

I usually remember the first letter and then chant them continuously

Obviously everyone has weaknesses though thought I might share a good method to approach it

Skyblumatt

I take it no one has had results from assessments yet?
I wasn’t expecting anything back til at least Friday (7 working days since taking)
Doesn’t stop me hitting refresh on my emails every 2 minutes though

Last edited:

BlueMike26

Those that have attended already... I assume everyone is suited up? (I will be, and was previously for assessment, just curious if that's been the general consensus since it's at Avanti and not in some random hotel with OPC)

Last edited: