• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trainline issued m-ticket activation issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stargull

Hi all

I have a Trainline m-ticket anytime return (issued by a company I work with, so no option to print tickets) from Oxford to University in Birmingham. On return, I used the University to Birmingham New St portion, but then took a different route on different tickets. I want to use the remaining return portion, given break of journey is ok, from Leamington Spa to Oxford. The problem is that one had to activate tickets in Trainline, so ticket is now distinctly inactive.

Any thoughts on what I should do? Travel on valid ticket marked unaffected? Carry on myself?

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Is it an e-ticket or an m-ticket? If the former, find the PDF e-mail confirmation you got when it was booked rather than using in the app (you may also be able to get it by logging into your Trainline account on a computer, I forget). If it's an m-ticket it is technically still valid but you're going to get a load of hassle, potentially up to having to defend an incorrect prosecution (particularly as XC use TIL, the worst of the worst when it comes to that), so it's up to you if that risk of massive hassle is worthwhile.

alistairlees

Established Member
I didn't think Trainline did m-tickets though? Certainly not on routes like this where eTickets are available. So I don't understand the parts about 'activation' and 'no option to print tickets'. Can the OP post an image or two?

Also, the ticket is valid via Birmingham New Street (BHM), but not via Barnes (BNS). Best to spell names out first, with the CRS code after them...

Stargull

It’s a m-ticket ( see pic ), and yes, Birmingham not Barnes…

There was no option other than to receive this ticket in this form. Most frustrating that that makes it less valid, at least in practice.

Attachments

• 354CE29E-F76E-46F3-9C1B-356C7F0A528E.jpeg
    354CE29E-F76E-46F3-9C1B-356C7F0A528E.jpeg
    339.5 KB · Views: 98

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
OK, thanks. It remains valid but you are very likely to get hassle (up to and including an invalid prosecution you would need to defend, but would most likely win in Court). One of the many stupidities of m-tickets.

If you do choose to use it, I would pay any fare or PF demanded and take it up with customer services afterwards. However there's a reasonable chance that due to a lack of a barcode you wouldn't even get past any gateline so may not be able to use it.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I'd agree with Bletchleyite here. As it's an m-ticket (a stupid format which should never been allowed to be introduced and has done huge damage to the reputation of the far superior e-ticket by association) whilst it is still technically valid I wouldn't expect to be able to use it without having an argument at basically every point it's checked by a member of staff.

Mike395

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I wonder what corporate system is still issuing that flow as an m-ticket, as an aside! Trainline and Trainsplit will both happily sell that exact ticket as a normal e-ticket.....

RPI

Established Member
Other than for flexi-seasons I didn't realise the trainline still issued M-Tickets?

skyhigh

Established Member
ScotRail are still on M-Tickets as opposed to E-Tickets I believe.
Is that just via their app though? I know the Northern app until recently would only sell m-tickets, but Trainline offered e-tickets for the same fares.

Stargull

Complain to Trainline that the ticket can't be shown within validity.
Unfortunately, they won't talk to me, only to the company that purchased it on my behalf. If I get time tomorrow, I'll have a word with the ticket office staff and see what they say. I'd imagine 'That's the Trainline's problem'

Status
Not open for further replies.