• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Transport For Wales

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ian69

Hi,
Im trying to become a driver and not sure who to try and get on with. There’s a lot a negative comments if we mention money, and certain people are quick to comment things like “don’t come for the money” etc….. I get it……! However it’s what we’re all at work for, let’s be honest?
Having said this if you’re going to become a driver from scratch then when not try and drive for the TOC that pays the most? I’ve heard TFW has signed a new deal with the Welsh government and give up their Sundays but in return for a 71K basic, is this true? And could anyone one else comment about other companies to get on with please?

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

richfoz84

The Welsh deal will be £71k by Dec ‘24. It will go up between now and then in % increments.

Changes;

Sundays inside the week.
Use of tablets & modern tech.
Some alterations to drivers working practices.

Zontar

Hi,
Im trying to become a driver and not sure who to try and get on with. There’s a lot a negative comments if we mention money, and certain people are quick to comment things like “don’t come for the money” etc….. I get it……! However it’s what we’re all at work for, let’s be honest?
Having said this if you’re going to become a driver from scratch then when not try and drive for the TOC that pays the most? I’ve heard TFW has signed a new deal with the Welsh government and give up their Sundays but in return for a 71K basic, is this true? And could anyone one else comment about other companies to get on with please?
I suspect tfw wont be the most lucrative in a while. When a pay deal is agreed, I'd expect the likes of Avanti to top the tables.

Just make sure you read the small print, and big print. I see too many moaning about the job despite the pay. They don't hide anything from you. Well not much.

tiptoptaff

Established Member
It really is not the job to do for the money.

I don't care how much they pay me, nor how much I actually love driving trains - getting up at 2am never gets easier or more enjoyable. And that's the feeling I get when I actually want to go to work. If you're just there for the money, it'll be awful.

I know a lot of drivers just in it for the money. They hate it because they're trapped. Can't afford to go and find something else despite the job being nothing like they thought it would be ("train driving is easy, all you do is push a button") and not enjoying the work/shifts/people/management/passengers etc

Also, if you answer the question of "why do you want to be a driver?" in the interview with "for the money" then you won't get the job anyway

LoogaBarooga

A DTM actively encouraged me to mention the attraction of the salary at my interview. There's no getting away from the fact that driving is a well paid job.

Obviously it shouldn't be anyone's sole motivation but it would be disingenuous to say it wasn't a factor.

Status
Not open for further replies.