• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Transport proposals for Stirling

Status
Not open for further replies.

matchmaker

Established Member
Published today Stirling transport proposals

The proposals include new stations and a park and ride. Verdicts so far seem to be negative - this is a council who to encourage us to recycle have reduced the collections of the recycling bins fron fortnightly to four weekly...:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

option

Not much detail is there...

New Rail Station South of Stirling
The 'indicative location' appears to be very barren. A bit further north & the old Bannockburn station site is right next to the A91.

A new rail station near Causewayhead
Surely best served by bus?

A new rail station between Bridge of Allan, Causewayhead and Cornton
This makes more sense than the one above.

Speed43125

I can't really imagine Causewayhead or Cornton having the required density to support a station. Cornton in particular -I'm imagining near the level crossing anyway- seems to be largely residential low rises with little (particularly destination) traffic. Though if they can sort out the cycle lane ending south of the level crossing in the process that would be welcome!.

Would a Causewayhead station be on the single line section near the roundabout or further along the line towards Alloa behind, say recycke a bike? I presume that latter would basically be required for road access and car parking. I do wonder how useful the Alloa line is for serving this kind of traffic.

I suppose my main issue is that Stirling, is a city where it is almost never quicker to cycle than drive somewhere, amplified as you go out of it where these station are suggested to be built. There are large out of town style retail outlets and the two roads they propose to have the stations along seem to be two busy roads that can be congested as it is. I say this as someone who has cycled extensively around Stirling council and am, as the OP has alluded to, found myself rather unimpressed with their schemes, even those which I agree in spirit with.

matchmaker

Established Member
There was a station at Causewayhead on the Alloa line until the 1950s - situated behind the current bakers/former petrol station.

Status
Not open for further replies.