• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Travel Advice for ASLEF Strike Week (Dec 1st-8th)

Status
Not open for further replies.

spark001uk

Established Member
Looking for a bit of "educated guess" knowledge for this upcoming week of strikes if I may?

Basically I've got the big FOSW (Freedom of South West) 8 day rover / holiday all bought and booked up for the first week of Dec, only to hear soon after doing so that ASLEF plan to walk out from various TOCs (in a staggered pattern across the week).

So what I'm trying to get an Idea of is, how restricted might I expect to find services? Although the FOSW covers right across to SWR metals on the pompey etc, I doubt I'll be doing much of that TOC, if any.
My main areas of travel will likely be Penzance - Exeter - Bristol - Cardiff (a good portion of which I hope to be doing on Castles, as their last week on the full route), and a bit of branch stuff too probably, mainly in Devon/Cornwall.

As far as I'm aware, both GWR and XC are to walk out on the Thursday, so I guess we can safely say I won't be doing too much that day?
Assuming it'll be a bare-bones service on main routes, and only 7am - 7pm or something like that?
Also, for the remainder of the week I hear there's rest-day and overtime bans, what sort of impact might I expect from that?

As I say not asking for anything concrete, just a rough guess based on the impact of previous strikes perhaps?

Many thanks.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Established Member
Looking for a bit of "educated guess" knowledge for this upcoming week of strikes if I may?

Basically I've got the big FOSW (Freedom of South West) 8 day rover / holiday all bought and booked up for the first week of Dec, only to hear soon after doing so that ASLEF plan to walk out from various TOCs (in a staggered pattern across the week).

So what I'm trying to get an Idea of is, how restricted might I expect to find services? Although the FOSW covers right across to SWR metals on the pompey etc, I doubt I'll be doing much of that TOC, if any.
My main areas of travel will likely be Penzance - Exeter - Bristol - Cardiff (a good portion of which I hope to be doing on Castles, as their last week on the full route), and a bit of branch stuff too probably, mainly in Devon/Cornwall.

As far as I'm aware, both GWR and XC are to walk out on the Thursday, so I guess we can safely say I won't be doing too much that day?
Assuming it'll be a bare-bones service on main routes, and only 7am - 7pm or something like that?
Also, for the remainder of the week I hear there's rest-day and overtime bans, what sort of impact might I expect from that?

As I say not asking for anything concrete, just a rough guess based on the impact of previous strikes perhaps?

Many thanks.
The below text is taken from the GWR strike information section on there main home page:-

On 7 December, a reduced, revised timetable will operate across several train operators, including GWR. Many parts of the GWR network will have no service at all and trains that are running will only be operating for a limited period during the day.

The days after strikes, services could also be affected by a limited number of short-notice cancellations and alterations.

Online journey planners are being updated and details will be published below.

spark001uk

Established Member
Thanks, yes I did read that, but as ever they're quite vague on the matter! I was just wondering if anyone had memories of previous strikes and what sort of effect they had? And what effect rest-day/overtime bans might have?

Status
Not open for further replies.