• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Travelling with girlfriend who doesn’t have EEA passport

Me and my girlfriend are thinking of flying to the Isle of Man, and maybe Europe at a later date, and I want to know if I can go though the non-EEA queue with her or if we have to go in separate queues upon arrival. Her passport is one that would require her to get a Schengen visa as she’s still on a student visa here and doesn’t have residency or citizenship yet.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

WestCoast

Established Member
The Isle of Man Government does not routinely check passports / IDs on arrival on flights from the UK and Ireland but there may be spot checks. There won’t be any routine checks either arriving back to the UK.

You would have to check the IOM Government website on entry requirements for non UK / Irish citizens but pretty sure they are fine with UK visa holders going there if it’s just for a holiday.

At EU borders it’s worth noting that generally speaking UK passport holders are also expected to go in the non-EU/EEA queue now so unless you are an EU passport holder you’d be going through the same queue anyway. There are some exceptions in certain countries but you’d just be best going through the other passports queue anyway.

Chester1

Established Member
Me and my girlfriend are thinking of flying to the Isle of Man, and maybe Europe at a later date, and I want to know if I can go though the non-EEA queue with her or if we have to go in separate queues upon arrival. Her passport is one that would require her to get a Schengen visa as she’s still on a student visa here and doesn’t have residency or citizenship yet.

I am in a similar situation and have visited Isle of Man with my wife. Someone with a UK visa of any kind can enter Isle of Man as a tourist (and vice versa). The likihood is you won't even be stopped because there are no routine checks.

As @WestCoast points out, unless you are a citizen of a country still in the EU / EEA then you cannot use their queue. Some EU countries allow Brits to use e gates and then get a stamp. When EES is rolled out British Citizens won't need passport stamps and fingerprint enrollment will only occur on first entry and then first entry with a new passport. Its due in October but is looking like it might be delayed yet again. Many countries will likely allow us to use e gates after it has launched. I think you should always queue with your partner in case their is a problem. You will just end up waiting for them if you go in a different queue.

You might not know that Montenegro, Serbia and North Macedonia don't require visas for British residents. Turkey downgrades non British UK residents to a much easier e visa. Albania has e visas for a lot of nationalities that require Schengen visas. If you just want a holiday by a beach you could avoid visas if you don't mind which country you go to.