• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trenord strike - will it affect EuroCity?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Freemo

In my wisdom I've booked a reservation on the afternoon Bernina Express from Tirano to Chur for Sunday 24 September, which it transpires is a Trenord regional strike day. I've booked accomodation the previous night in Bellano since it's on the Tirano line.

As a taxi to Tirano is likely to be €150+, I had a 'just crazy enough to work' idea to get to Como on an early morning ferry, and hopefully get the EuroCity to Lugano just in time for the Bernina Express coach to Tirano.

My question is does anyone know whether the EuroCity Milan to Zurich/Basel via Como services be running as per normal whilst Trenord staff are striking? Plan B if we miss a connection would be to proceed to Zurich via conventional rail, but if that's not running either then I'm a bit scuppered.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Alfonso

The euro city should be running, although there's still plenty of time for other railway workers to announce a strike. You could rent a car but a taxi for around 150 euro sounds fairly reasonable for an 85km journey. Even easier would be to cancel your accommodation in Bellano and book a night in Tirano or Sondrio

Oh and there are also the "guaranteed" trains on strike days...you may be OK with your original plans

rg177

Established Member
Associate Staff
International Transport
I've ended up stuck at Milano Centrale for hours before due to a suddenly-announced Trenord strike day.

The only thing running was the EC service into Switzerland, so I paid for a reservation on that rather than sit for even longer and await one of the "guaranteed" services in the evening peak.

In a nutshell - the EuroCity *should* be fine.

Normally there is a half-hourly local 'Tilo' service Como to Lugano operated jointly by SBB and Trenord. The Tilo website states that during Italian strikes they will operate normally in Switzerland, so a short taxi ride from Como to Chiasso across the frontier might be an option. Do bear in mind that if going for the 'EC' service it is a fair step, especially with luggage, from the landing stage to the main-line station (S. Glovanni) in Como if time is tight.

Alfonso

There is also the RhB *bus* from Lugano to Tirano d 1000 a 1300 probably still daily in September. Reservation compulsory, cost CHF34 bookable on shop.rhb.ch.
I think that's what the OP is referring to

Freemo

Thanks for the helpful advice on here, I will probably end up shelling out for the taxi as the least stressful option but it's good to know that even on a Sunday morning there are a few alternatives.

Status
Not open for further replies.