• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trivia: 3+ changes from York

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

1D53

Established Member
Struggling to find anything! Got Dalegarth but suspect it doesn't count!

northwichcat

Veteran Member
Perhaps stations on the Wirral and in Flintshire served by the Bidston to Wrexham service?

Change at Wrexham/Shotton, then Chester, then Manchester/Leeds

HST43257

Established Member
Perhaps stations on the Wirral and in Flintshire served by the Bidston to Wrexham service?

York - Liverpool - Bidston - stations to Wrexham

Anywhere between Wickford and Southminster requires three changes.
Peak London services

York - KX - LSt - Southminster

The Elizabeth Line trains from Reading don't call at West Ealing though.
Great point, I was hoping one or two might. If only Kings Cross served Crossrail or Central Line (Greenford). I’ll add them to the list.

godfreycomplex

Established Member
The direct trains to Glasgow arrive too late for a connection (in normal times) to Barrhill and Stranraer so those two.

Wilts Wanderer

Established Member
Unless I’m mistaken you can get from York to Lymington by changing at Birmingham New Street and Brockenhurst?

Strathclyder

Established Member
Struggling to think of any in Strathclyde that really count here tbh. Chatelherault, Merryton & Larkhall may be the only ones that (in normal times) exceed two changes if you avoided Glasgow Central and changed at Motherwell.

York - Edinburgh - Motherwell - Hamilton Central

Wilts Wanderer

Established Member
Stourbridge Town would require changes at Birmingham New Street (walk), Birmingham Moor Street and Stourbridge Junction, would that count? AFAIK there are no direct trains between New Street and the Stourbridge line.

I think you can change at Manchester Piccadilly and Shotton to reach the Borderlands line stations.

Edit: Although now thinking about it, I reckon you could do Stourbridge Town by changing at just Leamington Spa and Stourbridge Junction a couple of times per day…

Last edited:

HST43257

Established Member
Stourbridge Town would require changes at Birmingham New Street (walk), Birmingham Moor Street and Stourbridge Junction, would that count? AFAIK there are no direct trains between New Street and the Stourbridge line.

I think you can change at Manchester Piccadilly and Shotton to reach the Borderlands line stations.

Edit: Although now thinking about it, I reckon you could do Stourbridge Town by changing at just Leamington Spa and Stourbridge Junction a couple of times per day…
York - Leamington Spa - Stourbridge Jn - Town

York - Liverpool Lime Street - Bidston - toward Wrexham
York - Newton-le-Willows/Man OxRd/Man Pic - Shotton - toward Wrexham/Bidston

Unless I’m mistaken you can get from York to Lymington by changing at Birmingham New Street and Brockenhurst?
Don’t think any XC are calling at Brockenhurst anymore

Struggling to find anything! Got Dalegarth but suspect it doesn't count!
Unfortunately not

HST43257

Established Member
Certain trains in the morning and evening still are. I checked their website timetables and there is something in the 1900 hour during the evening.
Oh thanks for checking I’ll change that now

The direct trains to Glasgow arrive too late for a connection (in normal times) to Barrhill and Stranraer so those two.
Shame XC can’t run a thing anymore. It is possible in the other direction (June timetable at least, unsure otherwise) so I’ll keep it off for now

JKF

Presumably Goblin line stations can be done with a tube connection somewhere? Can’t think how it could be done with NR services alone.

HamworthyGoods

Established Member
Bit of a weird one, but I was just having a wonder, as I cannot for the life of me think of any station requiring 3 or more changes to get there from York. The only cheat code is that Kings Cross and St Pancras are the same station, as a tube journey can’t be completed between the two.

I’ll update this sheet as they come in. The list so far is

Bromley North
Sundridge Park
Sudbury
Bures
Chappel & Wakes Colne
Emerson Park
Cardiff Bay
Ryde Pier Head (?)
Ryde Esplanade
Ryde St Johns Road
Smallbrook Junction
Brading
Sandown
Lake
Shanklin

Like the Isle of Wight, York to any station in Northern Ireland would require more than 3 changes.

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Presumably Goblin line stations can be done with a tube connection somewhere? Can’t think how it could be done with NR services alone.
Victoria Line from Kings Cross to Blackhorse Road?

JamesRowden

Established Member
In a similar vein - Emerson Park and the stations on the Greenford branch?
At least one Hammersmith & City line service starts from Upminster at the start of the day, and at least one terminates at Upminster at the end of the day.

This allows Emerson Park to be only 2 changes from York.

MarlowDonkey

Marlow (Bucks) would require three changes at peak hours.

Reading, Maidenhead and Bourne End,

If you travel via London, there would also be Kings Cross to Paddington or Farringdon (for the Elizabeth Line)

JKF

Victoria Line from Kings Cross to Blackhorse Road?
Yes, saw that after I looked at the London connections map. Would it be a valid journey on a national rail ticket though? I know cross-London tickets include tube e.g. I used to do KX to Charing Cross quite often a few years back, but this wouldn’t really be traversing London, more a case of going in and coming back out again!

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Yes, saw that after I looked at the London connections map. Would it be a valid journey on a national rail ticket though?
Good question. Perhaps one for our fares experts to confirm, but a journey from York to certain stations on the GOBLIN line, say Leyton Midland Road, and partly by LU (from Kings Cross to Blackhorse Road) might be o.k.

Extract...
Travelling across London with your train ticket
If your journey involves travelling via or across London to connect with another National Rail service, your ticket should include the cost of transfer on London Underground, DLR, Thameslink or Elizabeth line services between the relevant stations.
Your ticket will be marked with a cross ( + ) sign.

Tickets displaying this sign are valid for travel between any 2 stations shown in the list below, appropriate to the route of the through journey being made.

Peter0124

Established Member
What about somewhere like Girvan right now, with the Ayr station hotel fire disruption? I calculated 4 changes.

Replacement bus to Ayr
Ayr to Prestwick Town
Prestwick Town to Glasgow Central
Glasgow Central to Edinburgh
Edinburgh to York

There are only two direct trains per day from Glasgow to York and they are both before 8am, making it too early to make the connection, so a further change at Edinburgh is required.

Last edited:

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Think the premise of this thread was for journeys originating from York. In any event, there is a daily rail replacement bus from Stranraer to Prestwick Town (SuX) which means the extra change at Ayr isn't always necessary.

waverley47

Lea Bridge.

Either Finsbury Park, Highbury and Islington and Stratford or Kings Cross, Farringdon and Stratford.

Class15

On Moderation
Anything on the GOBLIN

For example, Upper Holloway:

York - London KX
London KX - Highbury & Islington
Highbury & Islington - Gospel Oak
Gospel Oak - Upper Holloway

Unless LU counts, in which case any of these can be done with 2 changes.

Peter0124

Established Member
Think the premise of this thread was for journeys originating from York. In any event, there is a daily rail replacement bus from Stranraer to Prestwick Town (SuX) which means the extra change at Ayr isn't always necessary.
I misread the title :D