• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trivia:- Bus routes passing over toll bridges.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Statto

Established Member
Came here to suggest these very services!

Services using the Birkenhead[Queensway] tunnel are
Avon,18-83-122 these routes only operate a couple of times a day, mostly early morning
Arriva, 407-423-473-464-471-472-487
Stagecoach, 1-2-471-472-X8
Arriva & Stagecoach 471-472 are joint services part of the QBP

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

philthetube

Established Member
In 2002 I rode a Stagecoach bus from Dunoon to Rothesay on the Isle of Bute via a ferry. That network was sold to West Coast Motors in 2004 but I don't know whether that service still runs. It might have been a through route on Saturdays only.
I saw it running last summer.

Back in the late 1990s, funded by the Labour government, a rural bus service 35 operated over Warburton Bridge. This ran between Croft, Culcheth, Glazebrook, Hollins Green and Warburton, operated by Warrington Borough Transport with a Dodge S56 minibus. A short-lived development, I caught it once and was the only passenger.

Dai Corner

Established Member
In the 1960s, Ribble service 85 (Blackpool-Knott End) was worked by double--decks and the conductor would go round the bus when approaching the Shard Bridge to collect one (old) penny from each passenger and hand the money to the toll collector!

I love quirky things like this!

I wonder what happened if a passenger couldn't/wouldn't pay? Would he/she be made to get off at the last stop before the bridge? Why didn't Ribble just incorporate the penny into the fare?

enrag2000

I never witnessed that situation but there was no way the toll collector could verify that the cash handed over was equivalent to the number of passengers on the bus as they would be unable to see who was on the upper deck. I seem to recall that Ribble had a poor relationship with the Shard Bridge operators.

Simon75

On Moderation
Mod note: this and the following posts have been merged into an existing thread. Please use the search facility to check if a subject has been covered before.

I know the Stagecoach Lancashire and Cheshire 1/X1 between Liverpool and Chester use the Mersey tunnel.
What other bus and coach services use toll bridges /tunnels and roads ?

Last edited by a moderator:

175mph

On Moderation
Stagecoach bus services to and from Hull, 250 from Grimsby and 350 from Scunthorpe use the Humber Bridge.

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
Haven’t we already had a thread on toll bridges? And another on ferries?
Many thanks for the supplying the link.

The thread relating to ferries has been reopened and can be found here:

ACBest

The 609 (Stagecoach) and 609B (Marshalls of Sutton-on-Trent) from Tuxford Academy to Newark both pass over the Dunham Toll Bridge. Both are primarily school services, however open to the public - and the 609 also runs in service before/after the school run in lieu of running dead.

JGurney

In the 1960s, Ribble service 85 (Blackpool-Knott End) was worked by double--decks and the conductor would go round the bus when approaching the Shard Bridge to collect one (old) penny from each passenger and hand the money to the toll collector!
I recall in the 1970's and 80's passengers on the then Hants and Dorset 150 who had day tickets had to pay an 2p supplement for crossing Sandbanks Ferry. When people boarding showed day tickets the driver would ask where they going and charge the 2p if their destination was beyond the ferry.

Kite159

Veteran Member
First Solent Rangers X4+X5 plus some Bluestar routes using the Itchen Bridge in Southampton.

(Stagecoach routes 10+11 from North Shields to South Shields using the Tyne Tunnel)

PeterC

Established Member
Ensignbus X80 runs both over a toll bridge and through a toll tunnel! Although both of these are the Dartford Crossing. The route runs between Chafford Hundred and Bluewater via Lakeside.
There have been various routes using the Dartford Crossing over the years. In London Transport days users of Green Rover tickets has to buy a supplementary ticket.

Status
Not open for further replies.