• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

[Trivia] Bus stations/stops served better during night than day

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
I was surprised to recently find myself at a bus stop in Helsinki that appears to have a far higher frequency and choice of routes during nighttime than daytime:

PXL_20240503_213332964.MP.jpg
Image shows a bus stop sign in Helsinki indicating 2 daytime routes and 10 daytime routes

Can anyone come up with any other examples of this, perhaps even beating it for disparity between night and day service?

Obviously I imagine there will be plenty of bus stops that are only served by night buses and I'd exclude those from this comparison.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

PeterC

Established Member
It's a shame that you are excluding stops only served by night buses as the village of Chenies in Bucks is served only by Diamond Bus route 710 at 03:09 and 05:09

PGAT

Established Member
Not sure if this counts but a few places in Central London such as Aldwych have more routes serving it in the night than in the day. Still, I'm not sure if the day-time frequencies can be beaten

Flange Squeal

Established Member
In Guildford, Surrey, the northbound Clover Road and Rye Close stops on Park Barn Drive are served only once per day by the afternoon Stagecoach South school bus SP1. During University term time though, the Stagecoach N1 night bus also serves them five times per night Mon-Sat at 0040, 0140, 0240, 0340 and 0440.

If we were to exclude school routes and only focus on general public services, then the nearby eastbound Broadacres stop on Broad Street is served by the same five night bus journeys on six nights per week. During the daytime though, it is served by only two buses per week (once on a Tuesday and once on a Friday) - the 1307 Guildford to Aldershot Stagecoach South route 520 shopper bus.

stadler

Birch Road Stagecoach Bus Depot in Eastbourne has a bus stop which is served every thirty minutes (2bph) during the day by just one bus route but yet in the early morning and late evening it is served by up to eight buses an hour running on eight different bus routes. This is because both Stagecoach and Brighton & Hove extend many services to and from the depot in the early morning and late evening rather than running empty.

The whole Northern part of Sussex University in Brighton has five bus stops (Bramber House, East Slope, Lewes Court, Northfield Crescent, Park Village) which see a bus every thirty minutes (2bph) during the day but every ten minutes (6bph) overnight.

The whole Coldean Lane section in Brighton has five bus stops (Asda Roundabout, Bottom Of Coldean Lane, Old Boat Corner, Top Of Hawkhurst Road, Varley Park) which see a bus every thirty minutes (2bph) during the day but every ten minutes (6bph) overnight.

Somewhere

Not sure if this counts but a few places in Central London such as Aldwych have more routes serving it in the night than in the day. Still, I'm not sure if the day-time frequencies can be beaten
I was going to suggest London, as most night bus routes in London use the central area as a focal point, and stretch far out into the suburbs unlike daytime routes

stevieinselby

Some years ago, evening and Sunday buses around York often combined several different daytime routes into a single contract, which could mean they saw buses using unusual routes as they linked together the main corridors.
One that I remember in particular was the village of High Catton, which had 2 evening journeys and 5 Sunday daytime journeys in each direction on the 745 as it allowed the same bus to run the contract for both Stamford Bridge and Pocklington, but the during the daytime (M-Sa) it had just one bus each way on a Thursday on two on a Saturday on the 747.

These days (and for quite a while now) it has no service at all, although it will start to see buses coming through regularly again in a few weeks when the bridge at Stamford Bridge is closed for a couple of months for repairs and the diversion route will go through High Catton ... not sure if they will stop though!

JD2168

Heartland Avenue in Sothall near Sheffield is currently served every 2 hours each way Monday to Saturday daytimes but evenings & Sunday is served hourly in each direction with 30a.

Plumbley near Sheffield has an hourly service between 10am & 2pm on Monday to Saturday but in evening & all day Sunday has an hourly service at all times.

ADB125

Not sure if this counts but James street in Carlisle is served by the 62 (20 minute frequency) during daytime but after 9pm on Fridays and Saturdays is served by the 61, 62, 67 and 104 due to Botchergate being closed at those times.

Martin2013

North Yate had a spell of about 2 and half years without a Saturday daytime service after the saturday journeys on the Y3 were removed from the timetable at the start of the pandemic. However the evening journeys on the Y4 which extended to North Yate stayed running. It remained like this until October 2022 when the Y3 was replaced with the 47.

Also for the last 6 months or so, the Y4 was truncated at Yate Park and Ride during the day but the Monday to Saturday evening journeys extended to Yate Bus Station.