• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trivia: Large stations where trains pass through but don't stop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

HarleyDavidson

Established Member
Guildford used to have two trains a day pass non stop through, but now everything stops there at the behest of the local big wigs.

They used to be the 0615 ex Harbour & 1752 ex Waterloo, last/first call Haslemere respectively.

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
No, it is indeed not, it's just all the others I quoted are larger than the entire town of Clydebank.

The problem with this thread is that the OP has not defined "large station" - Dalmuir could be classified as "large" as it has 5 platforms regardless of how large the town it sits in is.

InOban

Established Member
It's only relevant because all other trains on the line do call there,just as nowadays almost all trains on the GWR call at Reading.

I could point out that the summer Sunday awayday from Edinburgh to Oban is the only train not to call at Dumbarton in either direction. Don't know why,it calls everywhere else, including Dalmuir.

greyman42

Established Member
Several TPE services now pass through Darlington without stopping.

Last edited:

DaveB10780

That's a good shout, I know that the 07:32 Northern service from Manchester Piccadilly to Macclesfield passes straight through Stockport without stopping because I used to use it regularly. Sometimes I was the only passenger on the entire train and it felt like my own private service! :lol:
The 0744 from Buxton Mon-Fri runs non stop from Hazel Grove to Piccadilly. Also the 1940 from Euston to Piccadilly does not stop at Stockport.

LowLevel

Established Member
0744 Buxton to Manchester Piccadilly is also fast Hazel Grove to Manchester so also doesn't stop at Stockport. The EMT service immediately in front stops at Hazel Grove to provide for people going on to Stockport.

Established Member
Used to be hourly on Sundays (the Manchester - Bristol services, skipped Stafford as well IIRC). But that changed last December I think (or was it May?). Not quite sure if any weekday services go through without stopping

Woking is skipped by a couple trains an hour off-peak,
They did. Ending up in Stoke on a GM Rail Ranger twice was quite embarrasing:D

Not as good as when I ended up in Stafford on the same ticket during diversions via Styal and Crewe which I knew nothing about though...:p that took the TM a while to stop laughing once he realised I wasn't bothered in the slightest by the detour!

HarleyDavidson

Established Member
0744 Buxton to Manchester Piccadilly is also fast Hazel Grove to Manchester so also doesn't stop at Stockport. The EMT service immediately in front stops at Hazel Grove to provide for people going on to Stockport.

Nor does 0732 2K70 MAN-MAC call at Stockport either. Non stop service, which sounds more like a former ECS positioning move, which has been converted to a passenger service.

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
Pretty sure there is a VTWC that doesn't stop at Preston and Carlisle once a day as well!

Used to have the 1630 Euston-Glasgow that was Preston only (ergo being the only train not to serve Carlisle), but that ended with the May 16 timetable. There isn't, nor has been for a very, very long time a West Coast service that has omitted Preston; indeed someone on here once said all bar one service actually change crew there!

Why does the Preston train go via Stoke?

It's actually 0952 ex-Preston (my error), but having a quick glance on RTT I can't see anything that precludes it running via Madeley, though looking further down (or Up ;)) the line it appears as though that path is actually utilised from Rugby on the 1050 ex-New Street. Via Alsager and Hixon in that case probably serves to get it out into a good path at Colwich, and act as a route retainer for the staff.

driver_m

Established Member
It will be. Non-preston based drivers don't go past Preston from their direction and Preston drivers will start/finish here. Hence why everything stops at Preston.

Status
Not open for further replies.