• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trivia: Stations in line of sight

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheNewNo2

I was arriving at Greenwich on the DLR today, and noticed that, from just outside the station, one could see down the line to Deptford. This set me wondering - what pairs of stations (along a line - no KGX/STP) are there where you can see one from the other?

My initial thoughts are:

Lewisham / St Johns
Canada Water / Rotherhithe
Clifton Down / Redland

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

thenorthern

Established Member
Deansgate and Manchester Oxford Road

Manchester Oxford Road and Manchester Piccadilly

It is just about possible to make out Arnside station from Kents bank station and I think its possible to just about make out Arnside station from Grange-over-Sands station although its not very clear.

Ash Bridge

Established Member
Burnage and in clear conditions Mauldeth Road are visible from East Didsbury on the Styal Loop Line, also Ryder Brow is visible down the line from Reddish North.

Cherry_Picker

Established Member
Denham and Denham Golf Club.

On LUL I'd imagine it's plentiful. You should be able to see West Ruislip and South Ruislip from Ruislip Gardens.

Rail Bus

From Timperley both Brooklands and Sale can be seen (and vice versa)

Also Chassan Road from Urmston

crehld

Established Member
Pretty sure you can see Wallasey Grove Road from Wallasey Village.

Rail Bus

Dollis Hill from Willesden Green and Finchley Road from West Hampstead on Jubilee line

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Are you including LUL and DLR? If so there will be loads, especially on the latter.

Fiskerton and Rolleston I think might qualify? Though I cannot be certain of this as I've not actually used either.

hassaanhc

Established Member
LUL:,Northfields and South Ealing, just 19 chains between the two.

If you are stood on the Down platform at Isleworth, you can just about see Hounslow some 1mi30ch away, and in the other direction you can see Syon Lane more clearly at 56ch away. Why must you be stood on the Down platform? There is a very slight curve just to the country end of Isleworth on what would otherwise be a dead straight line from some distance before Syon Lane until after Hounslow.

Of course the DLR has several sets of these. From Custom House you can see Prince Regent one way and Royal Victoria the other way. Or from Blackwall you can see East India in one direction, and both Poplar and West India Quay in the other direction.

Established Member
TBY-Paul:2360924 said:
Nunthorpe/Gypsy Lane?
You can. I've filmed the 142 bouncing up from Nunthorpe into Gypsy lane before!

Amazed no one has said Ty Glas and Birchgrive yet tbh!

SeanG

Established Member
There are many examples on the T&W metro.

Kingswear and Dartmouth are an unusual pairing of note.

Of course there are a good deal cases where preserved lines meet Network Rail but have two stations; Grosmont, Keighley and Aberystwyth being examples.

FS-2-11

A few in Glasgow.

The eastbound lines at Central Low Level and Argyle Street are visible from each other's island - you can definitely stand at the west end of Argyle Street and watch a train make its stop at Central.

I'd imagine Cardonald and Hillington East are line-of-sight too, as well as somewhere on the Carmyle/Mount Vernon/Baillieston straight.

GrimsbyPacer

Established Member
Healing from Great Coates is just about visible, although it's hard to see.
Isn't Wigan Wallgate and Wigan Northwestern literally down the street from each other?
Fiskerton and Rolleston (I think) are very close on a strait line.

Last edited by a moderator:

najaB

Veteran Member
I don't know for sure, but Culrain and Invershin are possibly close enough?

Bevan Price

Established Member
Isn't Wigan Wallgate and Wigan Northwestern literally down the street from each other?

You can easily see their exteriors from outside each other, and you can see the exterior (but not the platforms) of Wallgate from the north end of North Western's Platform 4. You cannot see any part of North Western from Wallgate's platforms.

Other pairs include Manchester Oxford Road & Deansgate
Huyton & Roby
Leasowe & Moreton.

Gathursty

Established Member
Yorkie - You can see Fiskerton from Rolleston and vv.
NajaB - You can not see Culrain from Invershin as there is a curve and some trees which obscure things.

I've seen Rotherhithe from Wapping and the Coryton line straight stations (Coryton, Whitchurch, Ribena and Ty Glas)

More will come to me I'm sure...

bunnahabhain

Established Member
Are you including LUL and DLR? If so there will be loads, especially on the latter.

Fiskerton and Rolleston I think might qualify? Though I cannot be certain of this as I've not actually used either.
You certainly can see between Fiskerton and Rolleston, also Swinderby to Collingham, or at least you can certainly see the up starter at Collingham from Swinderby. Attenborough to Beeston is another, how about the shacks between Humphrey Park and Urmston; also Ardwick and Manchester Piccadilly.

Status
Not open for further replies.