• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Ulverston to Dublin Sailrail

BigCj34

I have booked a SailRail from Ulvedrston to Dublin starting on April 24 (I psoted about the return leg a couple of weeks ago), but I booked the Advance to save a few pounds but I am reserved on a journey starting at 0709 with a 54 minute connection at Manchester Oxford Road, arriving ar 1232 to make the 1410 sailing with Irish Ferries.

However an hour later there is a 0807 train, with changes at Lancaster and Warrington Bank Quay to connect with the same train to Holyhead arriving at 1232. There was no advance single available for that itinerary. I guess in theory this means I have to take the reserved 0709 train, though the only source is BRFares and Seat61 but not referred to elsewhere (I see same day travel is mandated on the TfW T&Cs). On the ticket it says mandatory reservation but that's it.

The lady at the ticket office in Ulverston said it is not an issue especially with the recent chaos on that line, will getting the later train be an issue in practice? Or will it be fine as long as I ask the ticket inspector?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Merseysider

Established Member
Fares Advisor
I think you’re tempting fate by choosing to travel with Avanti when an alternative exists, especially for such a time-critical journey. I’d take the 0709.

The 0859 from Lancaster was cancelled yesterday for example (and the train after it too).

Haywain

Veteran Member
I have booked a SailRail from Ulvedrston to Dublin starting on April 24 (I psoted about the return leg a couple of weeks ago), but I booked the Advance to save a few pounds but I am reserved on a journey starting at 0709 with a 54 minute connection at Manchester Oxford Road, arriving ar 1232 to make the 1410 sailing with Irish Ferries.
As you have booked an Advance ticket you must now travel on the booked trains. It is quite likely that the quota for your ticket was not available on the Avanti service which would be why the Advance ticket was not offered.

BigCj34

As you have booked an Advance ticket you must now travel on the booked trains. It is quite likely that the quota for your ticket was not available on the Avanti service which would be why the Advance ticket was not offered.
Looking at the furthest date ahead I can book it is the same situation. However the prospect of possible cancellations might be a valid reason!