• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Upcoming travel...

Status
Not open for further replies.

exbrel

my sister in law has asked via the wife, if i can tell her if her visiting her daughter during 9th-16th Sept. will be alright traveling, it would be Stoke on Trent to Newquay, thats XC then SW trains... i've been trying to keep up with any strikes etc, but if my answer is wrong, i answer to the wife... so please if anyone can help.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Veteran Member
The unions only have to give 14 days' notice of a strike, so you can't yet be absolutely sure about the return leg.

However, RMT have not usually called strikes more than one week in every four, and have also proposed a "roadmap" implying a pause.

An ASLEF strike might yet happen, which would have a big impact (on Friday coming you couldn't get further than Bristol by any route) or an overtime ban which would have some less predictable impact but not make the journey impossible.

The other issue to be aware of is overcrowding on XC :(

PS Newquay is GWR not SWR :)

Geoff DC

Probably cheaper to fly Easyjet Manchester to Newquay
Friday to Friday around those dates currently under £100 return

duffield

Established Member
wasn't the answer's i wanted, but thanks for your replies...
Judging by previous RMT strike action on XC, there will be at least some limited services from Manchester via Stoke to Birmingham, and also from Birmingham to Bristol, where you can continue to Newquay via GWR services. Strike days can actually be quite pleasant on some services, because so many people are put off travelling at all and some of the limited services that do run are lengthened to provide extra capacity. I've been on a number of nearly empty trains on RMT strike days. However, this may not be the case on these routes at the relevant times, so it's not a good day to travel on XC if you're wanting some degree of certainty. There's always the more expensive option via London of course.

Anyhow the XC timetable for 9th September isn't available yet, it may be a few more days before it appears in the journey planner etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.