• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Upgrade to Standard Premium - Avanti West Coast

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dan_Frank

I have a Standard Class ticket for Euston to Glasgow Central. Is it a case of finding an available Standard Premium class seat and when the ticket check person comes around I pay an upgrade fee of £30 ? I can't upgrade beforehand in Euston station Avanti Ticket office ?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
I have a Standard Class ticket for Euston to Glasgow Central. Is it a case of finding an available Standard Premium class seat and when the ticket check person comes around I pay an upgrade fee of £30 ? I can't upgrade beforehand in Euston station Avanti Ticket office ?

Yep, it's basically weekday Weekend First.

Huntergreed

Established Member
Associate Staff
Events Co-ordinator
If you have an E-ticket bought through Avanti, you may be able to upgrade for the difference in fare (which may be cheaper) beforehand through the app.

Otherwise, yes you just sit there and they will charge you the supplement when they check tickets.

mds86

Another standard premium question! I've bought split tickets from Glasgow Central to Preston and Preston to Birmingham New Street for the start of September, both with Avanti. I have to change trains at Preston anyway. If I sit in standard premium at Glasgow, when the train manager comes round, can I pay for the full upgrade to Birmingham (including the 2nd train) or are they only able to upgrade me for the train I'm travelling on (1st train only to Preston)?
Thanks in advance.

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Another standard premium question! I've bought split tickets from Glasgow Central to Preston and Preston to Birmingham New Street for the start of September, both with Avanti. I have to change trains at Preston anyway. If I sit in standard premium at Glasgow, when the train manager comes round, can I pay for the full upgrade to Birmingham (including the 2nd train) or are they only able to upgrade me for the train I'm travelling on (1st train only to Preston)?
Thanks in advance.
In theory it should be possible to get a 'through' upgrade (the fares certainly exist), but it's a question of whether the TM on the first train will be willing to issue the upgrade in view of the fact that there might not be (many/any) spare seats in SP on the second train.

You could try getting it at a ticket office before travel, but I wouldn't rate your chances of success very highly.

Status
Not open for further replies.