• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Use of 1st class global inter-rail travelling to/from UK

peteb

Last year I did a 3 month 2nd class global inter-rail. This year at the other end of the scale I'm doing a 4 day 1st class global IR combined with other passes on the continent.

I'll be travelling to London for the Eurostar. Are there any time restrictions using the IR pass, and what "benefits" am I entitled to?
I was hoping to go via Birmingham New St to Euston. Can I use 1st class lounges? Can I get a "free" cooked breakfast on Avanti?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Nunners

Last year I did a 3 month 2nd class global inter-rail. This year at the other end of the scale I'm doing a 4 day 1st class global IR combined with other passes on the continent.

I'll be travelling to London for the Eurostar. Are there any time restrictions using the IR pass, and what "benefits" am I entitled to?
I was hoping to go via Birmingham New St to Euston. Can I use 1st class lounges? Can I get a "free" cooked breakfast on Avanti?
AFAIK you should be able to use it everywhere on Avanti. For Eurostar you can use it in Standard Premier for 35 euros, but not in Business Premier (which is the same, but with fast track security, a lounge and a bigger meal)

rvdborgt

There are no time restrictions. You can use all trains in the UK except for Heathrow Express. As to benefits, have a look at the benefits portal, or look in the rail planner app under "More". On UK trains, you can get the same meal as other 1st class passengers. IIRC you can also use the 1st lounges in the UK except the Eurostar lounge.
Eurostar reservations can be booked online on Rail Europe (desktop website only) for €38 (or €43 to the Netherlands) in 1st class.

peteb

Thanks for those replies above. In fact I'd already bought ultra-cheap Eurostar returns (standard class) before the interrail but as these were cheaper than the IR supplement and a better choice of trains that's no issue. Good to know we may get a cooked breakfast plus goodies at New Street lounge before we travel. I guess there's some food offering on Avanti on weekday evenings to Birmingham from London too.

StephenHunter

Established Member
You can only use a global pass in your own country for outbound and inbound 'days' i.e. a journey to the border. You could use it on Avanti to get to London, but seat reservations are still recommended. You could also use it to get to an airport.

rvdborgt

Thanks for those replies above. In fact I'd already bought ultra-cheap Eurostar returns (standard class) before the interrail but as these were cheaper than the IR supplement and a better choice of trains that's no issue.
It's new to me that there are regular tickets that are cheaper than pass reservations. The cheapest I've seen were always a few euros more expensive. Also the pass reservations are available until the regular fares are above €155 (2nd) or €206 (1st) for a single so it's strange that you'd have a better choice of trains with a very cheap ticket.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
It was 39 euros last year for Standard Premier reservation, when holding a 1st class InterRail, unless that's changed?

rvdborgt

It was 39 euros last year for Standard Premier reservation, when holding a 1st class InterRail, unless that's changed?
1st class pass reservation is €38 to Paris and Brussels; €43 to Rotterdam/Amsterdam.

peteb

I think it's still 38, euros or pounds not sure. Our Eurostar tickets (standard) were £35 each way and at useful times, not very early morning or last thing at night. (Which last year seemed all we could get when we looked at booking to Brussels, but Amsterdam reservations seemed much easier to get).

As I said I'd already booked Eurostar before deciding to get an IR pass. So we don't get the standard premier seats but we've got good view table seats so don't mind.

rvdborgt

I think it's still 38, euros or pounds not sure. Our Eurostar tickets (standard) were £35 each way and at useful times, not very early morning or last thing at night.
2nd class reservations are €30, so a ticket for £35 (€41) is probably the cheapest possible. That's more in line with what I expected.

railfan99

Established Member
As well as meals and snacks, you can also benefit from free alcohol/soft drinks/juice, and not just at meal times on Avanti WC, GWR, LNER, TransPennine Express and even I found, Grand Central and perhaps Hull Trains.

Some operators have more limited offerings: the first three above seem to have the most extensive offerings.

Enjoy!

ChrisDY10

Thanks for those replies above. In fact I'd already bought ultra-cheap Eurostar returns (standard class) before the interrail but as these were cheaper than the IR supplement and a better choice of trains that's no issue. Good to know we may get a cooked breakfast plus goodies at New Street lounge before we travel. I guess there's some food offering on Avanti on weekday evenings to Birmingham from London too.
Since COVID the first class lounge at Birmingham New Street seems to be closed more often that it is open I'm afraid. And as for the cooked breakfast, it is very nice but the portion sizes are not overly generous

MrJeeves

Established Member
Since COVID the first class lounge at Birmingham New Street seems to be closed more often that it is open I'm afraid.
There's only been one time out of the five times I've used it in the last year that it's been closed, and that was around Christmas/New Year I think.