• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Using E-tickets for more than one passenger

Status
Not open for further replies.

Springs Branch

Established Member
A query about using e-tickets bought for more than one passenger . . .

Later this year, I'll be visiting the UK with the missus. I'm contemplating ditching trusty old orange credit-card size tickets (CCST) and dabbling for the first time in the brave new world of e-tickets - mainly on the Northern network in the north-west.

Quite a few of our proposed journeys will be using a Two Together Railcard, so obviously I'll be buying each ticket for two passengers, via the Northern website.

My questions are -
- Will Northern issue one e-ticket covering the two passengers?
- If so, what happens when we encounter a barriered station? (Wigan Wallgate, Manchester Vic & Lime Street are likely candidates).
- Do we need to show my phone at the manned gate as a matter of course? I don't anticipate you can't scan twice at the barrier.

The question isn't necessarily restricted to the Two Together Railcard situation - presumably the same applies if using a Duo e-ticket, or to any old e-ticket bought for two or more travellers.
Would it be less faff just to stick with CCST tickets where, on past experience, we get one coupon per person per direction?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

CyrusWuff

Established Member
Each passenger will get a separate e-ticket, just as with CCST.

It depends on the retailer as to how this is handled, however. Some will issue individual PDFs and/or Apple/Google Wallet passes for each passenger, but others just issue one PDF/pass file for the entire group.

In the latter case, it's easiest to scan the tickets for the other passenger(s) first and then for yourself at gates with barcode readers.

For manual checks you'll usually have to show each one individually.

It may also be worth looking at Rovers/Rangers/BritRail/Eurail/Interrail passes rather than individual tickets, as they may work out more cost effective.

Gaelan

Regardless of whether you get one PDF or two, there's nothing to stop you from sending the PDF to someone else*, so each person can have their ticket on their own phone. You'll have two barcodes; just make sure you use each barcode once getting through the gates and you'll be fine.

*ScotRail's the exception here: they issue "m-Tickets", not e-Tickets, which are restricted to their app on a single device.

Ediswan

Established Member
There are free tools for splitting pdf files into individual pages. An alternative workround is to 'Print to PDF' the individual pages. Availabilityof these options varies by device, I don't know them all.

Still faff, but faff you can do in advance, when it suits you.

JBuchananGB

When I bought e-tickets for two people using Northern, they provided one PDF per person per leg of journey. I.e 4 files for one return trip for 2 people. I opted to print them out, rather than mess with phones at barriers, as only one passenger had a suitable phone. A few years ago when I bought tickets online in CCST format, and had them posted to me, I received one CCST coupon for 2 passengers for a Northern DUO ticket, which rather baffled the guard.

Wallsendmag

Established Member
On the LNER site you can select to send the PDF/PK pass/ Google wallet ticket individually to someone else. So if you bought three tickets you could send one ticket each to three different people.

Springs Branch

Established Member
When I bought e-tickets for two people using Northern, they provided one PDF per person per leg of journey. I.e 4 files for one return trip for 2 people.
For manual checks you'll usually have to show each one individually.
A good few itineraries I'm thinking of are significantly cheaper with split tickets. I'm leaning towards the old-fashioned 'deck of cards' (of the orange credit-card variety) in hand for this, rather than trying to flip through multiple PDFs on my phone.

It may also be worth looking at Rovers/Rangers/BritRail/Eurail/Interrail passes rather than individual tickets, as they may work out more cost effective.
Yes, I've already spent a few long evenings trawling TOC websites and setting up a spreadsheet to work out the best option of Ranger/Railcard/Split for various proposed days out. The GM Rail Ranger was always a good go-to for local trips, but the PM peak restrictions in Greater Manchester have put the kibosh on that (weekends excepted).
Already seriously thinking of BritRail for a few epic cross-country leaps. This will probably involve us negotiating the Elizabeth Line gateline at Paddington with BritRail passes - a looming argument I'm really looking forward to ("Welcome to Great Britain!")

Tetchytyke

Veteran Member
Will Northern issue one e-ticket covering the two passengers?
- If so, what happens when we encounter a barriered station? (Wigan Wallgate, Manchester Vic & Lime Street are likely candidates).

IME they issue separate tickets which you can download to the same phone or to different phones if you prefer. At gatelines it’s easiest to beep your companion through then beep yourself through, if required; it’s what I do with the kids.

The GM Rail Ranger was always a good go-to for local trips, but the PM peak restrictions in Greater Manchester have put the kibosh on that (weekends excepted).
It’s a bit pricier at £16.20, but the GM Wayfarer does not have the evening peak restrictions.

Status
Not open for further replies.