• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Using NWX-London season at NXG

Status
Not open for further replies.

evil_hippo

I'm about to buy a season ticket for my commute from New Cross to Waterloo East, and I'm interested in whether I can also use that ticket at New Cross Gate. I want a season rather than a travelcard because I have a staff pass that already gives me free travel on TfL rail and bus, but not NR.

As far as I can tell, the NWX season could be argued to be valid at NXG because:

- Through NR tickets between e.g. Brockley and St Johns appear to be valid for travel via NXG, Surrey Quays and NWX, implying NR tickets are valid via Surrey Quays. However, I'm not sure how singles relate to seasons since zonal fares, so that's a clear indication.
- There may also be a valid walk interchange between NWX and NXG, which might be relevant.
- Travel from NWX to LBG and beyond via Surrey Quays and NXG is within three miles of the shortest route and one can start short with a season.

Any advice?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Darandio

Established Member
To clarify for those who are wondering at a glance what the unhelpful letters are, NXG: New Cross Gate and NWX: New Cross.

Some people do get confused which is which. :)

maniacmartin

Established Member
Fares Advisor
New Cross Gate - London Terminals ANY PERMITTD is 17.40
New Cross Gate - London Terminals AAA GNWCH/NEW CR is 19.90
New Cross - London Terminals ANY PERMITTED is 18.50

The problem if you dont get the AAA ticket is that its not clear if a journey can start or end with a walk. Instead, I would buy from a station further down the line, and then the New Cross - New Cross Gate walk (which is an official walk) isn't at the start or end of the journey:
Deptford is priced the same as New Cross
Brockley is priced the same as New Cross Gate

If New Cross is the station you will use most often, I would buy from a station on that line to avoid hassle (ie the Deptford ticket)

Regarding via Surrey Quays, it sounds too convoluted for gateline staff to believe, so I'd avoid that line of reasoning. If you want an easy life, the AAA ticket will obviously be much smoother at the gatelines, and is only slightly more expensive

Last edited:

evil_hippo

New Cross Gate - London Terminals ANY PERMITTD is 17.40
New Cross Gate - London Terminals AAA GNWCH/NEW CR is 19.90
New Cross - London Terminals ANY PERMITTED is 18.50

The problem if you dont get the AAA ticket is that its not clear if a journey can start or end with a walk.

Could you clarify the meaning of "AAA" please?

Instead, I would buy from a station further down the line, and then the New Cross - New Cross Gate walk (which is an official walk) isn't at the start or end of the journey:
Deptford is priced the same as New Cross
Brockley is priced the same as New Cross Gate

If New Cross is the station you will use most often, I would buy from a station on that line to avoid hassle (ie the Deptford ticket)

Deptford isn't on the New Cross route, but perhaps St Johns instead, which is.

Also, do you know if such a ticket would work the automatic gates at New Cross? Because otherwise that would be an inconvenience.

button_boxer

Established Member
I have a staff pass that already gives me free travel on TfL rail and bus, but not NR.

How much slower would it be to go Overground to Canada Water then Jubilee to Southwark? That would be covered by your free pass.

maniacmartin

Established Member
Fares Advisor
My lack of geography is showing! Yes, St John's and Lewisham are priced the same as New Cross. Deptford was the wrong advice to give.

AAA in this context stands for 'Also available at'. It is printed in the route field and means that the ticket is also valid at a third place.
I would expect the AAA ticket to work the gatelines, the others only if they are on the direct route. This is only a guess though.

evil_hippo

How much slower would it be to go Overground to Canada Water then Jubilee to Southwark? That would be covered by your free pass.

Speed (a wee bit slower) isn't the issue, crush loading throughout the peak is. Southeastern, while far from empty, is at least £185 (after 75% reimbursement) more pleasant.

Status
Not open for further replies.