• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Using Over 60 travel card to Gatwick

arktos

Hi all, what ticket do I need to travel to Gatwick from BZ6 as I have an Over 60 TfL card. I have assumed I just pay contactless fare on arrival for the excess. TIA.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Hi all, what ticket do I need to travel to Gatwick from BZ6 as I have an Over 60 TfL card. I have assumed I just pay contactless fare on arrival for the excess. TIA.
Welcome to these forums.

You cannot just pay contactless on arrival, there’s no automatic linking between your Oyster account and a contactless card. So that would be an unstarted contactless journey, and leave you open to a maximum cash fare. I suspect the only legitimate way of doing this is to touch in again at the boundary.

arktos

Thanks. As I’m travelling from Z1 to GTW Perhaps the cheapest and easiest is to use my 60+ card to BZ6 (without touching out) and purchase a SRC ticket BZ6 to GTW.

Haywain

Veteran Member
purchase a SRC ticket BZ6 to GTW.
Could you explain what you mean? Please explain abbreviations or codes the first time you use them - it is in the forum rules. Thank you.

Benjwri

Established Member
Thanks. As I’m travelling from Z1 to GTW Perhaps the cheapest and easiest is to use my 60+ card to BZ6 (without touching out) and purchase a SRC ticket BZ6 to GTW.
The cheapest and easiest way to do this is to buy the applicable ticket for your journey from Coulsden South to Gatwick Airport. Your train does not need to stop at Coulsden South, just pass through it, but you cannot use it the Gatwick Express. You could also buy a boundary zone fare, but the cost is the same and you would probably need to buy from a ticket office.

contrex

The cheapest and easiest way to do this is to buy the applicable ticket for your journey from Coulsden South to Gatwick Airport. Your train does not need to stop at Coulsden South, just pass through it, but you cannot use it the Gatwick Express. You could also buy a boundary zone fare, but the cost is the same and you would probably need to buy from a ticket office.
Coulsdon?

KT550

you would probably need to buy from a ticket office.
All the TFL ticket machines I've used sell tickets from zone boundarys.

Just select tickets from others stations and boundary zone 6 as starting station.

Benjwri

Established Member
All the TFL ticket machines I've used sell tickets from zone boundarys.

Just select tickets from others stations and boundary zone 6 as starting station.
Fair enough, was more thinking of TOD and outside London.

MrJeeves

Established Member
Fair enough, was more thinking of TOD and outside London.
Worth remembering that the forum's ticketing site will do boundary zone tickets if needed, provided you fill in the existing travelcard option:

Somewhere

Agreed.
As the OP lives in TFL land and has a TFL travel card of some sort, they probably have a TFL station nearby.
Not necessarily. Vast areas of South London are nowhere near a TfL station. Albeit, if they're travelling from Zone 1 there's plenty of TfL stations there!

Yes, either Boundary Zone 6 or Couldson South to Gatwick on a paper ticket, available from a machine (the latter from most apps as well) is what you want.

Somewhere

Sorry, it’s the Senior Railcard - I thought it was a familiar use.
SRC is the code for Streatham Common station, which considering its on the route from London to Gatwick will confuse people!
SNR is the abbreviation for Senior Railcard (or at least it used to be unless it's changed)

Haywain

Veteran Member
SNR is the abbreviation for Senior Railcard (or at least it used to be unless it's changed)
It's the code used in rail industry systems but I don't think it is widely recognised elsewhere. When talking about fares it's best just to refer to a Senior Railcard. It's also worth noting that SNR is the code for Sanderstead station, so there would still be room for confusion. And SRN is the code for Strines.

Last edited:

Somewhere

It's the code used in rail industry systems but I don't think it is widely recognised elsewhere. When talking about fares it's best just to refer to a Senior Railcard. It's also worth noting that SNR is the code for Sanderstead station, so there would still be room for confusion.
Yes, of course it is!