• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Varamis Rail Given Operators Licence from ORR

Class 170101

Established Member
Notably, Varamis are not proposing to ru services in those areas…

There have been a lot of announcements of Varamis acquiring new units recently - how many do they have now?

Also, what are there routes at this point? obviously there is:
- Mossend/Glasgow - Birmingham International
- London Liverpool Street - ???
- Birmingham International - Willesden PRDC
- Any others?
Well they might be going to Norfolk actually (see link to map below)

Photo link above shows services Kings Cross / Liverpool Street to Kings Lynn and Liverpool Street to Norwich.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Phillipimo

On 13th March 2024, Varamis Rail held a showcase event at London Liverpool Street station. Converted units 321428 & 321429 were on display, along with a number of "green" vehicles for forwarding goods and parcels from the train to their destination.

Speeches were made by Phil Read (Varamis Rail), Lord Hendy (Network Rail), Scott Wilding (Transport for London) and Steve Evans (XeroE).

D365

Veteran Member
In most circumstances, however, if the OLE is out of volts you need something to rescue you. Provided Varamis is successful and builds trust then maybe new build units with a "get you home" powerpack under one car might be a solution. They have certainly helped LNER out of some holes with class 801s. I recall an OLE incident at Wakefield Westgate where the 801 had to continue to Leeds using it's single GU. It didn't lose any time either.
Are ’Thunderbird’ locomotives with Tightlock coupling adaptors available on the WCML?

pokemonsuper9

Established Member
Are ’Thunderbird’ locomotives with Tightlock coupling adaptors available on the WCML?
This post made me try to research what loco is called a Thunderbird, turns out that seems to be a nickname for any rescue train.
With LSL at Crewe I'd expect something can probably be found in an emergency.

james_the_xv

With LSL at Crewe I'd expect something can probably be found in an emergency.

LSL would be under no obligation to provide a loco / crew for thunderbirding duties.

If a unit failed and could not be rectified by the driver/fitter then it could cause many issues depending on location. Would probably be worth Varamis paying for a Tightlock/Dellner barrier wagon to be stabled at Rugby & Preston/Carlisle, or even LSL to keep a compatible loco on standby. Will it happen? No, and Varamis will suffer the consequences when a train fails (for example) up shap and causes chaos.

Established Member
LSL would be under no obligation to provide a loco / crew for thunderbirding duties.

If a unit failed and could not be rectified by the driver/fitter then it could cause many issues depending on location. Would probably be worth Varamis paying for a Tightlock/Dellner barrier wagon to be stabled at Rugby & Preston/Carlisle, or even LSL to keep a compatible loco on standby. Will it happen? No, and Varamis will suffer the consequences when a train fails (for example) up shap and causes chaos.
I drive trains that run on routes with nothing nearby than can rescue us without an adapter. As a result, we have an adapter on all of our trains.

Problem solved.

Also worth noting that when operating a 321 in multiple one unit can in effect rescue the other.

Wyrleybart

Established Member
ROG have supplied class 37s to "sweep up" failed and dewired class 323s on the Birmingham cross city route, which are tightlock fitted. So the answer is sort of yes.

Carlisle

Established Member
I drive trains that run on routes with nothing nearby than can rescue us without an adapter. As a result, we have an adapter on all of our trains.

Problem solved.

Also worth noting that when operating a 321 in multiple one unit can in effect rescue the other.
Voyagers always had those adapters behind the cab but how often were they actually used ? They always seemed to find another Voyager if rescue was needed.

Last edited:

Established Member
Voyagers always had those adapters behind the cab but how often were they actually used ? They always seemed to find another Voyager if rescue was needed.
Who said I drive Voyagers? :)

I've known them used on both stocks I sign during loco rescue.