• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Veteran’s Railcard - Named Companion

Red Onion

This is probably a daft question but I’m not quite sure of the correct way to do this and the FAQs on the site aren’t clear (unless I’m missing it). I have recently added a named companion to my Veteran’s Railcard and wondered on the correct way to purchase tickets for it.

if I was to, say, purchase tickets for us both from A to B, do I select “veteran’s railcard x 2” in the railcard box? It seems the most logical way but not quite sure if it’s the right way.

Thanks in advance for any help :)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

CyrusWuff

Established Member
It depends on which website you're using. Some (such as GWR's) ask you to select how many passengers the Railcard discount should be applied to. Others (such as the forum's) apply the same Railcard to the entire group. There's also a hybrid option (such as Chiltern's) which lets you choose multiple Railcards and presumably applies them most advantageously.

Bill57p9

Just as a further comment on Veterans Railcard: (up to 4?) children travelling with you can also claim a discounted fare. They do not have to be named companions.
I mention this as I have had a ticket office quietly refuse to give the discount as my (13yo) son wasn't the named companion and then argue for some time when I challenged.

I should also add that this ticket office issue was not in Scotland. On ScotRail it is almost always cheaper to take the "kids for a quid" option rather than apply the Railcard discount to them. (Frustratingly kids for a quid is only offered at the ticket office or on the train, despite ScotRail's efforts to persuade everyone to buy online before travel...)

Last edited: