• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Victoria to Preston Park Advance ticket

Status
Not open for further replies.

els

Hi all,

I have a Southern Advance ticket for a Victoria to Preston Park journey next week. Oddly, the compulsory service is for a Brighton to Preston Park train at 19.55. The Southern website suggested I get the 18.26 from Victoria to Brighton in order to catch that service at Brighton.

Two questions:

Since there are few direct rush hour Southern services from Victoria to Brighton, could I travel to Lewes or Hove and change for a Brighton service?

What is the earliest time with this ticket that I am allowed to depart Victoria?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
You are allowed to take "appropriate" connecting services. Which connecting services would you like to catch and are prepared to argue are "appropriate"?

PermitToTravel

Established Member
As well as only being allowed on appropriate connecting services, you are only allowed on services run by Southern

Veteran Member
Hove is historically permitted and :wub: miles further. i am puzzled though how they could enforce you going via brighton.

els

I could be in the ludicrous situation, therefore, of legitimately travelling on the 17.46 from Victoria to Hove, which makes a scheduled stop at Preston Park, but I am technically barred from leaving the train - and so I have to stay on and do a daft triangle?

:roll:

westv

Established Member
Sounds a bit of a faff to me. I trust the saving against a normal ticket was worth it!:D

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I could be in the ludicrous situation, therefore, of legitimately travelling on the 17.46 from Victoria to Hove, which makes a scheduled stop at Preston Park, but I am technically barred from leaving the train - and so I have to stay on and do a daft triangle?

:roll:
I'm not sure that you would be able to convince a ticket inspector that an "appropriate connecting service" for a Brighton - Preston Park service is a train from Victoria - Preston Park - Hove. Good luck!

However I am sure this could convince the pricing manager to take action to not sell such tickets in future.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Sounds a bit of a faff to me. I trust the saving against a normal ticket was worth it!:D
If you are making a one-way journey, an Advance ticket offers a substantial saving.

PermitToTravel

Established Member
The off-peak day single is £26.10, 10p less than a return at £26.20 (both valid after 0930).

Depending on demand, advances for this journey one way are £5, £8, or £10, or £15 in first class.

els

£3.30 in rush hour? Yes, it is!
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
(I am returning the following weekend - will get a walkup FCC single for about £6)

Status
Not open for further replies.