• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Virgin extension until 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Planner

Veteran Member
Virgin get an extension until 2017. Makes sense if Dec 16 is going to get a bit of an overhaul

Virgin press release

Passengers and taxpayers winners in new Virgin Trains contract

· Thousands of extra seats each day

· Free superfast WiFi for all customers

· New direct services planned for Shrewsbury and Blackpool

· Rewards programme adds value for passengers

· New franchise deal boosts payments to taxpayer by 58%

Virgin Trains and the Department for Transport have signed a new deal guaranteeing big improvements for both passengers and taxpayers. The new West Coast franchise will run until March 20171 and will see significant improvements for customers with the introduction of free superfast WiFi, more seats and new services. Taxpayers will also benefit with a guarantee that more than £430m will be paid to government, a rise of at least 58% on the current arrangement.

The new West Coast contract comes into force on 22 June and will provide:

· More seats: 21 of our trains2 will have one of their First Class carriages converted to Standard Class. This will increase Standard Class capacity by 5500 seats per day, a net increase of 2100 seats.

· Better connectivity: All 76 of our Pendolino and Super Voyager trains will be equipped with superfast WiFi, which Network Rail intends to support by providing track-side infrastructure. This would be the first major intercity deployment of 4G technology on the UK rail network and provide free WiFi to all customers.

· New services: We have agreed with the DfT plans for new direct services between Shrewsbury / Blackpool and London. We have been working with Network Rail to develop these plans and will make a joint submission to the ORR shortly. These services are expected to start by December 2014.

· Customer reward programme: Customers who book via the Virgin Trains website or mobile app will be able to earn Nectar points on their purchase by the end of the summer.

· Financial benefits for taxpayers: The contract means the DfT will receive a guaranteed payment of more than £430m over the length of the contract, as well as up to 100% of the additional returns generated by Virgin Trains3. The fixed premium represents an increase of at least 58% per year4 and will help support the huge investment that is taking place in the railways.

Patrick McCall, Virgin Trains Executive Co-Chairman, said: “We’re delighted to have reached a deal after some tough negotiations with the DfT. It puts the problems of 2012 firmly behind us, and shows the clear benefits of a well-run franchise system.

“This deal is great news for passengers and taxpayers, with significant benefits for our customers as well as a big increase in the money we pay to government. We know WiFi is high on our customers’ priorities and we’re delighted that we’re going to be able to offer them free and super-fast WiFi. Together with thousands of extra seats and plans for new services, this deal will mean big improvements for millions of Virgin Trains passengers.”

The deal also includes other benefits such as:

· Customers: More than £20m to be spent on modernising stations with improved waiting rooms, extra ticket machines, more Passenger Information help points, as well as an upgraded website and more staff redeployed to concourses and platforms

· Community: Increased emphasis on apprenticeships, traineeships and graduate placements, a pledge to increase SMEs in supply base by 10% and commitment to make station and training centre facilities available for community use

· Environment: Commitment to cut CO2 emissions across stations, divert 98% of waste from landfill to recycling and implement efficient LED lighting

Martin Griffiths, Virgin Trains Executive Co-Chairman, said: “This new contract is a good example of the benefits of the franchising system. With commercial train operators taking on the cost of investing in new services the passenger experience can be improved without public money being put at risk. As the improved passenger experience then encourages greater train travel, taxpayers benefit a second time with more money flowing to the Treasury.”

The deal builds on the huge progress Virgin Trains has made since taking over the West Coast franchise in 1997. The number of passengers carried each year has more than doubled to 32 million, journey times have been cut and the number of services increased. More than £2bn has been invested in trains and passengers have consistently rated us as the best long distance operator.

Notes to editors:

1) After the West Coast franchise process in 2012, the DfT asked Virgin Trains to continue running the franchise on a management basis. This arrangement ran the service on an efficient basis but did not allow Virgin Trains to invest in new initiatives. The new deal moves the franchise back onto a commercial footing, with Virgin Trains shouldering the risk and cost of improvements. The new deal commences on 22 June and will run until the end of the franchise in March 2017. The DfT has the option to extend the deal by an additional year should it wish to.

2) Coach G on all 21 9-car Pendolinos will be converted from First Class to Standard Class by September 2015.

3) The £430m is the guaranteed premium Virgin Trains will pay the Government over the contract from 22 June to end March 2017, as long as the economy performs in line with expectations. If Virgin Trains’ returns exceed expectations, the Government will take an increasing share of additional profits on top of the guaranteed premium. The more that returns increase, the greater the percentage of that extra profit the Government receives until above a certain level it receives 100% of the additional profit. The exact tiers and percentages are commercially sensitive.

4) The £430m is for 22 June 2014 to 31 March 2017 and equates to £155.3m per year. In the management contract from December 2012 to 21 June 2014 we paid £150.9m, or £98.1m per year. £155.3m is a 58% increase on £98.1m.
http://www.virgintrains.co.uk/about...winners-in-new-virgin-trains-contract-1010212

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Interesting to note the conversion of First to Standard on some trains. May help ease overcrowding on some shoulder peak services.

Taunton

Established Member
· More seats: 21 of our trains will have one of their First Class carriages converted to Standard Class. This will increase Standard Class capacity by 5500 seats per day, a net increase of 2100 seats.
However long has it taken to realise the gross overprovision of First Class seats on this route, an aspect which goes back to BR days on this route (but when the crowding in Standard wasn't so bad). About the only significant use of it is on some mainstream business services into London in the morning and return in the evening. If leaving from London early, and returning there at the end of the day, there's hardly anyone in it, and it just runs as empty stock to and fro in the day.

SkinnyDave

Established Member
I still think ICWC franchise should get the Scotland to Manchester services when it comes up for renewal in 2017

fusionblue

Better connectivity: All 76 of our Pendolino and Super Voyager trains will be equipped with superfast WiFi, which Network Rail intends to support by providing track-side infrastructure.

This is only happening because EE already announced earlier this year that they are doing this http://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2014/02/ee-extend-4g-mobile-broadband-14-new-towns-18-big-uk-airports.html so i won't treat this as new.

I'm sure more people would prefer better data coverage at the stations themselves over wifi though. City Thameslink is probably one of the worst given it's under a building.

Dumpton Park

However long has it taken to realise the gross overprovision of First Class seats on this route, an aspect which goes back to BR days on this route (but when the crowding in Standard wasn't so bad). About the only significant use of it is on some mainstream business services into London in the morning and return in the evening. If leaving from London early, and returning there at the end of the day, there's hardly anyone in it, and it just runs as empty stock to and fro in the day.

I only use VT in August each year, but I don't think I've ever travelled in a busy first class carriage on any of the London routes - save when it's had to be downgraded. It's always seemed busy on the Birmingham Scotlamnd run - perhaps because if it's a Voyager there's not much of it.

DP

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
21 trains is the number of 9 car sets, yes? So all this does is give them a similar first/std ratio as the 11 car sets?

I'm pretty sure that this was discussed here back when the 11 car expansion was underway. I'm surprised it wasn't done already...

Class377

Only real downside of that is some of the cheap weekend firsts or advances might be lost - but then again, I've travelled it on a Saturday and it's not a huge bonus anyway. Hopefully standard being quieter will make it up to the same standard anyway?

WatcherZero

Established Member
Few more details from the Dft.

Free Wi-Fi onboard and at stations too.
£2.5m on Pendolino refurbishment
£2.75m on improving catering
Increased parking spaces at Carlisle, Lancaster and Stafford
2 trains per day to Shrewsbury (1 on Sundays)
1 train per day to Blackpool
Joint planning to be undertaken to remodel Carstairs and improve London-Scotland travel times.

100% Cap and Collar regime.
58% increase in franchise premiums.

Mods' note: replies to to this post regarding Carstairs have been moved to: Carstairs remodelling thread

Last edited by a moderator:

Hazlehead

21 trains is the number of 9 car sets, yes? So all this does is give them a similar first/std ratio as the 11 car sets?

I'm pretty sure that this was discussed here back when the 11 car expansion was underway. I'm surprised it wasn't done already...

Not the same as 11 car still has 145 first class seats and the extra 2 coaches U & F give an approx extra 150 standard seats.

So conversion will result in 45 less 1st seats and at a guess about 74 extra STD seats

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
"Similar" should have been "more similar". What I meant was that 3:6 is much nearer to 4:7 than 4:5. As percentages, 33% nearer to 36%, previously 9 cars had 44% first...

Last edited:
21 trains is the number of 9 car sets, yes?

Can anyone advise me which rotations use the 9 car 390/0's - I believe at present the London-Birmingham-Scotland through services do but not sure about the others.
Interesting Virgin reconfigured their North Wales 5 coach Super Voyager fleet to increase First Class capacity from 26 to 78 seats at the expense of 68 standard class seats a few years ago.

gordonthemoron

Established Member
Interesting Virgin reconfigured their North Wales 5 coach Super Voyager fleet to increase First Class capacity from 26 to 78 seats at the expense of 68 standard class seats a few years ago.

wasn't that just by making coach D convertable? On most services it is standard but on some peak services, e.g. 16:10 ex-EUS it is first

PowerLee

how about stopping more trains at Milton Keynes? No mention

Be nice if we could get Virgin to stop at Northampton as well once the station overhaul is all finished, it would save me from having to drive to other nearby towns to escape using the overpriced shoddy London Midland service we are stuck with here.

Be nice if we could get Virgin to stop at Northampton as well once the station overhaul is all finished, it would save me from having to drive to other nearby towns to escape using the overpriced shoddy London Midland service we are stuck with here.

I'm afraid that's unlikely to happen - going via Northampton would incur a significant time penalty.
If Virgin did operate via Northampton, there's no guarantee that fares would go down.

ivanhoe

The Shrewsbury idea is reborn , two years to see if the markets there,if Network Rail agree, I also wonder about the Wrexham to Euston 0700 via Chester will it continue in its present form.

The Shrewsbury service is going to be difficult. Many Shropshire Business People who need to go to London, either drive or take a taxi to Wolves. The timing of the morning train is so important, particularly the arrival time in Euston. I just hope extensive research is done beforehand. They need to attract the Business market so that Shrewsbury does not become a token train that is easily ditched when times are tough.

Rail Ranger

One of the reasons why First Class is so lightly used in the off-peak is that there is no first class equivalent of the Saver/Off-Peak Return. You either have to pay the ridiculously high Anytime First Class fares or book in advance (where there are some good First Class deals, often cheaper than Standard Class). There is no "walk on" first class product for off-peak travellers.

Hellfire

As a regular VT traveller this is all good news...although I'm aware not everyone on this forum will agree. I think VT has done well during its franchise of the WCML and I was glad First didn't get hold of it.

Nothing I could see here about any planned refurb of Pendolinos. They are beginning to look a little tired inside. Would that wait until the award of a longer franchise?

All Line Rover

Established Member
Further details on specific stations here: http://maps.dft.gov.uk/west-coast/#line2

Ticket gates to be installed at Crewe, London Euston, Macclesfield, Manchester Piccadilly, Stockport, Stoke-on Trent, Rugby, Birmingham International and Birmingham New Street stations

Tickets gates at Euston will be complete hell, unless they install them, not on the platforms, but on the concourse (which I can't imagine them doing as a number of shops and eateries will be behind the barriers).

Last edited:

LowLevel

Established Member
Interesting that they don't seem to be gating Wolverhampton and Coventry!

dannypye9999

Ive heard the Shrewsbury to London train runs between Crewe and London calling at Shrewsbury, Telford, Stafford (pick up only) and Euston.

Status
Not open for further replies.