• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Visions of ... Gatesheed and Newcastle?

Status
Not open for further replies.

70014IronDuke

Established Member
WARNING: Only limited rail content - but just enough (I think) to go into this section.

I've just found a great version Bob Dylan's "Visions of Johanna" which starts out with some footage of fans queuing up in a rainy English city in, ostensibly, 1966. (Great variety of 60s cars and vans!)

At 01.55 it goes back to the car ride as they travel under two railway bridges (rejoice at the WOODBINE advert!) and then, at 02.00 we switch to going over a river - which I'm 98% certain is the Tyne, showing the High Level Bridge, with the car heading into Newcastle. It then swtiches back to Bob and finally some footage which appears to be a snowstorm in the USA.

Question: where are the two railway overbidges at 01.55? Are they somewhere in Gateshead-Low Fell area? If not, where?
And is the footage at the beginning Newcastle city centre? If not, where? Anyone recognise the place?

Here's the url

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
WARNING: Only limited rail content - but just enough (I think) to go into this section.

I've just found a great version Bob Dylan's "Visions of Johanna" which starts out with some footage of fans queuing up in a rainy English city in, ostensibly, 1966. (Great variety of 60s cars and vans!)

At 01.55 it goes back to the car ride as they travel under two railway bridges (rejoice at the WOODBINE advert!) and then, at 02.00 we switch to going over a river - which I'm 98% certain is the Tyne, showing the High Level Bridge, with the car heading into Newcastle. It then swtiches back to Bob and finally some footage which appears to be a snowstorm in the USA.

Question: where are the two railway overbidges at 01.55? Are they somewhere in Gateshead-Low Fell area? If not, where?
And is the footage at the beginning Newcastle city centre? If not, where? Anyone recognise the place?

Here's the url

Our man @47403 might know the answer to this.

Darandio

Established Member
Despite the caption at the very start saying "Fans Lining up for Dylan's show in England' I believe they are actually queuing at the old Capitol Theatre in Cardiff.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
At 02:00 they are filming from the High Level Bridge (HLB) towards the west, it’s the King Edward Bridge in shot, with the old spindly looking Redheugh bridge obscured behind it. Soon after that I think they’re back in the USA, right hand traffic.

I don’t think the over bridges in quick succession at 01:55 are in Gateshead or Newcastle, they’re definitely not ‘en route‘ to the HLB anyway, so the successive scenes as edited are not in order.

Last edited:

Darandio

Established Member
I don’t think the over bridges in quick succession at 01:55 are in Gateshead or Newcastle, they’re definitely not ‘en route‘ to the HLB anyway.

I'm inclined to agree. The footage is from the 'No Direction Home' documentary so the scenes are likely to be from any UK city featured in the 1966 tour. I'd lean more towards that footage being Glasgow.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
If the video is stopped at exactly 1:59 there’s a fairly distinctive spire or pinnacle of some sort, at top left, that someone might recognise? (If it’s not been flattened since…)

xotGD

Established Member
I'm afraid it has got me flummoxed. I have ruled out a couple of locations with a pair of bridges, namely the Newcastle end of the old Redheugh Bridge and around Gateshead station.

edwin_m

Veteran Member
If the video is stopped at exactly 1:59 there’s a fairly distinctive spire or pinnacle of some sort, at top left, that someone might recognise? (If it’s not been flattened since…)
At this point there are buses in the background with a maroon and white livery - perhaps Edinburgh, but I can't think of anywhere there that might match. Cardiff was mentioned and their buses were apparently crimson and cream, and Northern General on Tyneside was similar within the limits of the colour reproduction on an old film... The registration on the car in front isn't legible either, which might have given a clue.

The bus in the distance at 1:59 looks to be in Cardiff Corporation livery - are these the underbridges at the east end of Central (General as was) station? The distinctive building with the pinnacle looks like the Great Western Hotel (now 'Spoons) - the whole area has changed radically with replacement bridges and new developments so it is difficult to be sure.

6Gman

Established Member
The "Woodbine" bridge/s certainly "feel" like Cardiff to me.

(And I lived there for a year)

edwin_m

Veteran Member
The bus in the distance at 1:59 looks to be in Cardiff Corporation livery - are these the underbridges at the east end of Central (General as was) station? The distinctive building with the pinnacle looks like the Great Western Hotel (now 'Spoons) - the whole area has changed radically with replacement bridges and new developments so it is difficult to be sure.

I thought of that area too, particularly as the pavement appears to be elevated above road level. However the bridge there looks much wider and looks like a structure that would have been there in 1966.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Sorry but I think the former Cardiff Great Western hotel pinnacle is a completely different shape to the photo, unless it’s been altered of course.

Spartacus

Established Member
Nah, I'm sure that's not the location, there's too much wrong with it, despite the initial similarities. There's something familiar about that second bridge, specifically it's little supports, it's the kind of thing I tend to notice for some reason.

APT618S

Pretty sure it's Cardiff, See pic 6 in the link below, text states:
"The lowering of the road under the Queen Street bridges is well underway. The one side has been completed and traffic travelling eastwards is now running on the newly lowered surface - August 1949."
The video at 2.00 shows the white hotel above the white car with the two similar windows to that in the wales online pic.

Spartacus

Established Member
You're right, what's thrown us is the 'landmark' building on the left isn't actually the Great Western at all, but clearly another building as it's Queen Street, not Penarth Road!

I'm wondering where I've seen that bridge, or one just like it, before now....

Established Member
These are the Bridges in Gateshead that come very close to resembling them on the video. I have my doubts whether it's actually these ones myself, the distance apart for a start dont seem to match the one in Bob's video. I wasnt even a twinkle on my Dads eyes in 1966. So couldnt tell you if they were advertised on either. Mr xot, was once from this very parish too. Coming up from Team Valley up and Bensham Bank. I'm not convinced.
Screenshot_20220715-184826_Maps.jpg

70014IronDuke

Established Member
As soon as @Darandio mentioned Cardiff, this was exactly my thought - but I don't know the lay of the land well enough to judge myself.

Despite the caption at the very start saying "Fans Lining up for Dylan's show in England' I believe they are actually queuing at the old Capitol Theatre in Cardiff.
Do we know if Dylan played there at all?

APT618S

Picture on ebay of the 2nd bridge taken from the other side confirming Cardiff Queen St. Looks like the 1st bridge may have been demolished by this time:

Established Member
Picture on ebay of the 2nd bridge taken from the other side confirming Cardiff Queen St. Looks like the 1st bridge may have been demolished by this time:

I think you may have cracked it Mr APT.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
These are the Bridges in Gateshead that come very close to resembling them on the video. I have my doubts whether it's actually these ones myself, the distance apart for a start dont seem to match the one in Bob's video. I wasnt even a twinkle on my Dads eyes in 1966. So couldnt tell you if they were advertised on either. Mr xot, was once from this very parish too. Coming up from Team Valley up and Bensham Bank. I'm not convinced.
This is rather academic since the correct bridge over Cardiff Queen St has now been found, but as you already say your possibles are surely about 100 metres further apart than in the video? I think that area between the bridges was mostly an open space in the 1960s, but the video is of a much more urban area.

The two bridges in the video are quite close, 20 or 30 metres apart, (assessed using NLS old maps of Cardiff).

Established Member
This is rather academic since the correct bridge over Cardiff Queen St has now been found, but as you already say your possibles are surely about 100 metres further apart than in the video? I think that area between the bridges was mostly an open space in the 1960s, but the video is of a much more urban area.

The two bridges in the video are quite close, 20 or 30 metres apart, (assessed using NLS old maps of Cardiff).
Yeah but I still put it up as at the time it hadnt been established and I put it up to show the one in Gateshead and the one on the video but yeah I did notice.

Status
Not open for further replies.