• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Warning - TfL Oyster App, card balance did not update.

Status
Not open for further replies.

bakerstreet

Just to warn any unsuspecting users of the above app.
I nearly ran short on credit because my account was showing with a healthy balance when the actual situation was a much much lower balance.

The reason is my journey history was last updated on 2 December. (It’s 12 Dec as I write this)

I’m still logged in, I’ve refreshed, I’ve checked App Store for update (none available).

Thankfully the web version is up to date but even that does appear to have a significant lag.

Are there any apps that can read an Oyster card yet like there are ITSO readers.

It’s what I rather dislike about electronic cards where as a user you are blind to what the status is.

Anyway hope this warning is of use to someone

Ps I know I can set auto top up.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

blakey1152

I noticed this the other day - It's working again now though, I knew I had a lower balance than the app said and I topped it up online :)
The Oyster always has a delay over the contactless transactions on the app though.

Also for those people that top up using the app - the minimum is £10 but if you use the web site you can top up by just £5

bakerstreet

That’s interesting because the app is still not refreshing for me.

Also I was receiving auto journey history usage PDFs via email but I’ve noticed that my most recent was from 4 October.

blakey1152

The Journey history has been very hit and miss for a few weeks. I've travelled on the bus and its said there is no journey information for days afterwards....I'm wondering if the change to the way that Oyster works so its the same as Contactless has had an effect

Elecman

Established Member
Likewise my hasnt updated since late November !and the same with the weekly Update emails

Joshua_Harman

Idk About oyster, but my NR (Thameslink Issued) Smartcard has had no journey history shown the last few weeks, nothing...... Thought it was a problem with the card but both my cards seem to be doing it... But as of a few days ago it works fine again, so maybe the issues are linked?

Was there a change to the oyster system or something recently?

robbeech

Established Member
My TfL app has been telling me my Oyster card has a low balance of £5.60 for 2 years now. My card currently has £30.55 after an auto top up last week and has seen maybe £80 of use in the last 2 years and has never to my knowledge had a balance as low as £5.60 since the day I bought it over a decade ago.

I’m guessing, looking at the existence of this thread that the whole thing simply doesn’t work.

SAPhil

My TfL app has been telling me my Oyster card has a low balance of £5.60 for 2 years now. My card currently has £30.55 after an auto top up last week and has seen maybe £80 of use in the last 2 years and has never to my knowledge had a balance as low as £5.60 since the day I bought it over a decade ago.

I’m guessing, looking at the existence of this thread that the whole thing simply doesn’t work.
I've found the app to be speedy and accurate! My oyster card is a recent issue, so maybe that has some relevance?

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
I posted about the usage statement issue last week, but no one seems to know what's causing it. TfL also say they know of no fix at the moment.

Oyster app I find OK, but the speed of update is definitely slower in more recent times, often not until end of day, compared to even a year ago, when it generally took a few minutes.

Elecman

Established Member
Received this from TfL today on the matter

We are aware of an issue which impacts the accuracy of the journey history and/or Oyster balance when viewing via the Oyster app.

Please bear with us while we work on a fix. I can appreciate the app is much more convenient to use when checking your journeys and balance, however you may wish to use the desktop version of your account in the meantime to check in the meantime.

bakerstreet

Received this from TfL today on the matter

We are aware of an issue which impacts the accuracy of the journey history and/or Oyster balance when viewing via the Oyster app.

Please bear with us while we work on a fix. I can appreciate the app is much more convenient to use when checking your journeys and balance, however you may wish to use the desktop version of your account in the meantime to check in the meantime.
Thanks for that update, it’s good to have confirmation that they know!

bakerstreet

After several weeks (possibly months) of email silence my auto journey oyster emails seem to have been restored without any intervention on my part.

The app will also now always update, but ONLY if I log out and log in again. Not ideal to have to do that but at least it’s sort of working.

Status
Not open for further replies.