• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Warrington to Adlington on a Sunday

Status
Not open for further replies.

NorthWestRover

Established Member
I think this is impossible, but I said I'd ask....

"I want to go from Warrington to Adlington (Cheshire) Sunday 24th July, arriving pre. 09:30 and returning after 17:00. I've tried to look but not having any luck. Maybe because it's a Sunday?"

If people on here say no, then I know it'll be impossible. Combination of bus and train?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Veteran Member
First train at Adlington on Sundays in the new timetable is 0916, 0853 ex Piccadilly.
There is an 0801 from the Airport but nothing else into any Manchester station in time, nor any buses from the Warrington area (checking Sunday 15 May).

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
First arrival at Adlington (Cheshire) this Sunday as @30907 has pointed out, is at 0916, being the 0853 departure from Manchester Piccadilly (to Stoke-on-Trent).

Problem is in getting to Manchester from Warrington Central or Warrington Bank Quay to make this earlyish connection.

You might have to consider a taxi for that.

Warrington to Altrincham by taxi (for the Metrolink) might be cheaper than to Manchester Piccadilly or Stockport, if you can get to Altrincham by just after 8 a.m.

Cheapest day return fare from Warrington Stns to/from Adlington (Cheshire) might just be a Greater Manchester Wayfarer at £15.20 (Adult) and includes all Metrolink lines if needed.

Obviously you need to get back from Adlington (Cheshire) mid afternoon.

NorthWestRover

Established Member
Thanks. That ticket is really remarkable, isn't it? Valid at both Adlingtons, I think.

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Thanks. That ticket is really remarkable, isn't it? Valid at both Adlingtons, I think.
Yes, and invariably cheaper too, particularly when travelling into and then out of Manchester in a different direction/different route, although obviously you'll need to be travelling "off peak" to be able to use the Wayfarer.

NorthWestRover

Established Member
Yes, I've used it Wigan to Alderley Edge, Wigan to Buxton, Wigan to Altrincham (that one can be slightly cheaper with off peak day return and contactless on tram).

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
So, what have you decided to do?

Could you travel instead to Macclesfield (using the 0848 Northern service from Warrington Central to Manchester Piccadilly, arrive 0913, change at Manchester for the 0920 or 0927 service to Macclesfield) with a taxi for the final five miles from Macclesfield back to Adlington if you miss the 0950 Northern connection at Macclesfield and a slightly later arrival time at Adlington of just after 10.00 a.m.?

Last edited:

NorthWestRover

Established Member
It's my sister doing it. She's possibly staying overnight in Macclesfield or even staying with other sister in Congleton and travelling from there. Or driving the whole way (which she doesn't want to do).

Thanks for your suggestions...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.