• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

West Midlands Rail livery unveiled

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Clearly the current LM livery is the best in my opinion, but I can understand the desire for a new idea.

Quite frankly, although it isn't plain white like some of the latest liveries, it is rather hideous in its current form. Nonetheless, I feel with some tinkering it could become quite attractive, perhaps by taking some design cues from LM's livery.

Anyone a dab hand with Photoshop? I reckon if you remove the light grey sweep and change the dark grey sweep to a window band it will look quite decent.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Class172

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Anyone a dab hand with Photoshop? I reckon if you remove the light grey sweep and change the dark grey sweep to a window band it will look quite decent.

I don't know photoshop, but I can knock up a simulator reskin to do the same job. What you have described is pretty much exactly what I had in mind!

TrainfanBen

Do any of these trains operate on non-NWM services? If not, why don't they just receive PTE livery?

TfWM is new, so it hasn't really established an identity yet, its a corporate name really, most of the public signage still show's Network West Midlands branding left over from when it was Centro, (and so it should, its clear, its bright, its consistent and clear)

Remnants of the older 'Centro' branding still exist around the region although I think most of the green style bus stops have gone!
(Maybe worth a new thread somewhere else).

Back to the main topic, the livery itself works well, but isn't right for the region.
Did TfWM not have some sort of consultation process on this?

416GSi

TfWM is new, so it hasn't really established an identity yet, its a corporate name really, most of the public signage still show's Network West Midlands branding left over from when it was Centro, (and so it should, its clear, its bright, its consistent and clear)

Remnants of the older 'Centro' branding still exist around the region.....

I've no idea why they keep rebranding. WMPTE lasted for 21 years (1969-1990) Centro for 15 years (1990-2005) Network West Midlands for 11 years (2005-2016). Given that can we expect the new name lasting for 8 years before they have another go?

Compare this to West Yorkshire Metro which was introduced in 1974 (with a logo change in the late 1980') or London Transport (brand) which more or less can be traced back to 1933…if not before.

In my view they would be better leaving well alone and concentrating on improving the passenger service rather than changing their clothes.

Gareth

Established Member
Centro was the best. Network West Midlands was dull and Transport for the West Midlands is long winded and a cheesy imitation of Transport for London.

Class172

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster

I don't know photoshop, but I can knock up a simulator reskin to do the same job. What you have described is pretty much exactly what I had in mind!

You'll have to excuse the poor quality of my paint job, as I've rushed it and the livery itself does not make it easy with all those curves that wrap around... any better (I think it looks much better without that tilted 'slab' in the middle)? :p

Attachments

• dtw4.jpg
    dtw4.jpg
    155.6 KB · Views: 197

JaJaWa

Established Member
I find it strange that the services would be branded as West Midlands Railway as the long-distance WCML services are meant to be branded as West Midlands in the new franchise (and those names are very similar).

I also find it strange that Network West Midlands (or whatever they're called now) would not choose a livery that fits in with their standard designs e.g. tram used on Midlands Metro.

Last edited:

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
You'll have to excuse the poor quality of my paint job, as I've rushed it and the livery itself does not make it easy with all those curves that wrap around... any better (I think it looks much better without that tilted 'slab' in the middle)? :p

Yeah, I like that.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

fredk

I really hate the purple and orange combination. Makes it look tacky.
I think they need to scrap this and start again.

gg1

Established Member

That works quite well, definitely an improvement.

When I first looked at the original WMR proposal this morning I thought it was awful but the combination of purple and orange is starting to grow on me now and on the plus side it's still better than the infamous WMPTE 312:
IMG_0015_28800x53829.jpg

TrainfanBen

I've no idea why they keep rebranding. WMPTE lasted for 21 years (1969-1990) Centro for 15 years (1990-2005) Network West Midlands for 11 years (2005-2016). Given that can we expect the new name lasting for 8 years before they have another go?

Please forgive me for being pedantic, but Centro was in existence until it became TfWM, Network West Midlands was only the name given to the public branding of the transport network, not its own internal operations.

Network West Midlands was quite an innovative excersize in developing an integrated transport network in the county. I think those involved in implementing it deserve some sort of recognition.

Generally, transport across the region has improved a great deal over the last ten years or so despite government and council cuts.

But lets not get carried away over a new livery.

centraltrains

I don't know why, But the more I look at it. The more I think it looks a little like the Glasgow Subways subway...

'TfWM' seem to have an interesting graphics department/stock photo usage scheme/over-enthusiastic employee who hasn't quite got the shine on their photoshop skills yet...
https://twitter.com/TransportforWM/status/826477673480351744
https://twitter.com/TransportforWM/status/826477676395425792

I don't see why we need to change from the 'Network West Midlands' brand. I rather like it. Very unique and at first had quite a strong brand identity... It just seemed to lapse a bit over time...

fredk

I don't know why, But the more I look at it. The more I think it looks a little like the Glasgow Subways subway...

'TfWM' seem to have an interesting graphics department/stock photo usage scheme/over-enthusiastic employee who hasn't quite got the shine on their photoshop skills yet...
https://twitter.com/TransportforWM/status/826477673480351744
https://twitter.com/TransportforWM/status/826477676395425792

I don't see why we need to change from the 'Network West Midlands' brand. I rather like it. Very unique and at first had quite a strong brand identity... It just seemed to lapse a bit over time...

It's like a bargain basement version of TfL :lol:

TH172341

The proposed livery is smart, although don't like the front design of it, and to be honest, the current LM livery is fine. Keeping that design and swapping green to purple would be fine :D

Saw this a short time ago in the Modern Railways magazine and remember it saying this wasn't final, and was likely subject to change when the new operator is announced.

The Network West Midlands brand AFAIK is staying for the public side of the brand, which is good in my opinion.

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member

That look much better than the official proposed livery.

Incidentally someone on Twitter earlier today dubbed the official livery as "Cornsnake" livery. Needless to say I responded agreeing with them as it does remind one of a cornsnake, come to think of it...

fgwrich

Established Member
Its currently fashionable for everything to be "Transport for X".

Bless the pencil pushers that come up with such rubbish based on 'fashionability' :roll:

Indeed so.

London Transport became Transport for London.
GMPTE became Transport for Greater Manchester?
Edinburgh now has Transport for Edinburgh
West Midlands Centro now seems to be Transport for West Midlands.

Anymore of these Transport for XX names yet? I'm surprised Nexus hasn't changed their minds yet. And to me, London Transport was a much better name!

JaJaWa

Established Member

Anymore of these Transport for XX names yet? I'm surprised Nexus hasn't changed their minds yet. And to me, London Transport was a much better name!

Top of http://www.wymetro.com/ refers to themselves as 'Transport for West Yorkshire'.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-02-01 at 22.47.46.png
    Screen Shot 2017-02-01 at 22.47.46.png
    71.4 KB · Views: 36

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
That works quite well, definitely an improvement.

When I first looked at the original WMR proposal this morning I thought it was awful but the combination of purple and orange is starting to grow on me now and on the plus side it's still better than the infamous WMPTE 312:
IMG_0015_28800x53829.jpg

That's basically Nederlandse Spoorwegen livery, isn't it? :)

zn1

when 204 was given this paintjob at wolverton everyone wore sunshades, it was on shed during the open day as i recall, she was called the parrot i think, an original nickname, i stand to be corrected by old school new street drivers, due to Bletchley boys blacking 312 emus during their duration based at bletchley

mickulty

Class172's version without the colossal darker grey stripe in the middle looks very nice IMO.

mickulty

I generally think any livery with a window band looks nicer than any livery without, personally.

Even the pig-ugly new Northern livery would benefit from one.

Oh, hadn't noticed that at first look - yes, that definitely helps too.

D60

Indeed so.

Wessex Bus have adopted 'Transport for Bristol' branding on some of their vehicles.. (!)

the sniper

Established Member

That does look better! If they must go with those colours, you should lend them your design, for a fee. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.