• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

What can I claim for?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drogba11CFC

Thanks to Winchester City being sent to Didcot today, I was caught up in the disruption on GWR today. However, I was also due to go to the Chelsea legends game at Stamford Bridge, which became impossible when my train hit further disruption at Reading. Would I be able to claim a refund for my Didcot-Paddington ticket as I bailed at Reading and went home, and would I be able to claim reimbursement for the £35 that I paid for the Chelsea ticket which I ultimately couldn't use?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Veteran Member
Thanks to Winchester City being sent to Didcot today, I was caught up in the disruption on GWR today. However, I was also due to go to the Chelsea legends game at Stamford Bridge, which became impossible when my train hit further disruption at Reading. Would I be able to claim a refund for my Didcot-Paddington ticket as I bailed at Reading and went home,
Should be something - what tickets did you actually have in total
and would I be able to claim reimbursement for the £35 that I paid for the Chelsea ticket which I ultimately couldn't use?
Doubt it

OscarH

Thanks to Winchester City being sent to Didcot today, I was caught up in the disruption on GWR today. However, I was also due to go to the Chelsea legends game at Stamford Bridge, which became impossible when my train hit further disruption at Reading. Would I be able to claim a refund for my Didcot-Paddington ticket as I bailed at Reading and went home, and would I be able to claim reimbursement for the £35 that I paid for the Chelsea ticket which I ultimately couldn't use?
As you abandoned your journey and returned home rather than arriving late at your destination you should claim a full refund for your ticket from the retailer you bought it from. The exact process for claiming a disruption refund varies by retailer

Unfortunately you're likely not obligated to anything for the Chelsea ticket. You could ask GWR for a gesture of good will for it if you wanted, but especially as it wasn't under their control I really doubt they'd give it

Drogba11CFC

Should be something - what tickets did you actually have in total
Didcot Parkway - London Terminals £20.90 which was abandoned at Ascot (we were advised by the driver to use SWR to get to London) for
Ascot - Alton £6.90

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
If you abandoned your journey and immediately went back at the first opportunity, then you are entitled to a full refund. But no more than that.

Regarding unused tickets, unless the delays were absiolutely exceptional I wouldn't even mention that. What was your planned itinerary, and what were your actual timings? For a crucial event I'd be allowing a couple of hours slack.

Drogba11CFC

If you abandoned your journey and immediately went back at the first opportunity, then you are entitled to a full refund. But no more than that.

Regarding unused tickets, unless the delays were absiolutely exceptional I wouldn't even mention that. What was your planned itinerary, and what were your actual timings? For a crucial event I'd be allowing a couple of hours slack.
My planned itinerary was Alton to Didcot for Didcot Town vs Winchester City. Then Didcot to Paddington for the District Line - ko was at 7:15pm and had things not been up the spout I'd have reached the Bridge with around 40-45 minutes to spare. Even if there hadn't been OHLE problems I'd still have probably got there just before 7.

HamworthyGoods

Established Member

Public transport operators are clear they will not accept responsibility for sub-sequential losses this is what travel insurance is for.

They will however pay/refund as necessary for in this case rail disruption. If you choose to abandon your journey refunds without admin fees are provided. However as you partially used the Didcot to Paddington ticket I’m not sure what applies in this case, I’m sure some fare experts will be able to explain better.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
My planned itinerary was Alton to Didcot for Didcot Town vs Winchester City. Then Didcot to Paddington for the District Line - ko was at 7:15pm and had things not been up the spout I'd have reached the Bridge with around 40-45 minutes to spare. Even if there hadn't been OHLE problems I'd still have probably got there just before 7.
By itinerary I meant something like this:

Alton xx:xx
Reading xx:xx

Reading xx:xx
Didcot xx:xx

Didcot vs Winchester City KO xx:xx

Didcot xx:xx
Paddington xx:xx

etc....

Drogba11CFC

Alton 11:15
Ash Vale 11:38

North Camp 12:01
Reading 12:33

Reading 12:40
Didcot Parkway 12:54

Didcot vs Winchester City ko 15:00

Didcot 17:21
Paddington 17:59
District Line first one possible
Chelsea FC 18:33

Chelsea legends vs Bayern legends ko 19:15

West Brompton 21:15
Clapham Junction 21:23

Clapham Junction 21:35
Woking 22:20

Woking 22:30
Alton 23:10

As an aside, Winchester City are at Reading City next Saturday in the FA Cup - I will be going to that one via SWR and only SWR.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
OK I see you had 1h45 slack for Didcot and that's about right, but very little slack for the Chelsea game; the slightest thing going wrong could have scuppered you.

I think booking two events close together is a big risk and that's just a risk you have to consider when deciding to go for it.

If you have a really comprehensive travel insurance with no excess then by all means put a claim in, but with so little slack I am not sure if any insurance provider would pay out for that.

I don't see how you can claim back anything other than the Didcot to London ticket.

Status
Not open for further replies.