• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Wheelchair space and ticket type

Status
Not open for further replies.

dyst

I've just booked a journey on a GWR HST, 2nd leg Didcot Parkway to Bristol Parkway.

However, the wheelchair space in standard class is already booked, so they've put me into first class. Does this mean I will have to buy a first class ticket for that leg? At the moment I've just got a Super Off-Peak Return.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Llanigraham

On Moderation
Sounds like they have up-graded you free of charge.
Very kind and thoughtful of them.

dyst

I don't travel til Monday, but I already had the tickets (I was changing the time I travelled at when I rejigged the assistance).

I'm just worried in case the guard tells me I shouldn't be in First with that ticket.

plymothian

You have been upgraded free of charge - and will be automatically if ever you travel on an IET. The guard will know this from his/her reservation sheet.

SpacePhoenix

Established Member
I wonder if the train diagrammed to work the service the OP will be travelling on is a class 800, I believe that the wheelchair spaces on them are in 1st class

dyst

I wonder if the train diagrammed to work the service the OP will be travelling on is a class 800, I believe that the wheelchair spaces on them are in 1st class

As far as I can tell, the train on the 23rd will be an HST - wheelchair spaces in C00 and L00 (which I'm booked for).
However, the train back may be one of the IETs, as the space is E43, which I've never seen as a wheelchair space before - only C00/L00 on the HSTs, or whichever carriage happens to have a space, if any (the turbos). It'll be exciting if the train back is on one of the new trains.

Master29

Established Member
..And why are there no spaces available to book? Maybe because as it may well be class 800`s where there are no spaces available in standard on the five car units and so you get a free upgrade if you use a wheelchair. Bloody silly quite frankly. Cue angry members with such quips as "it`s what the Dft have stipulated" and "it`s got nothing to do with GWR". I know this and it`s irrelevant. I`ve asked about this before and never get any answers.

dyst

Thanks all - upgraded to first class both ways :) On the HST because someone else was booked in coach C, and on the way back because the only wheelchair spaces on the new trains are in First. The ramps are more of a faff than on the older trains (none of the platform staff had used them before), but the journey went well.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
...so you get a free upgrade if you use a wheelchair....
And why not? I see no harm in this at all.
Thanks all - upgraded to first class both ways :) On the HST because someone else was booked in coach C, and on the way back because the only wheelchair spaces on the new trains are in First. The ramps are more of a faff than on the older trains (none of the platform staff had used them before), but the journey went well.
Glad to hear it went well :)

Status
Not open for further replies.