• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

When in Rome.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Minilad

Established Member
Having a few days in Rome in March and apart from the train from the airport to the central station and a few hops on the metro I have nothing else rail related planned.
Does anyone have any tips on somewhere to go. Maybe an hour or so journey. Preferably loco hauled. Somewhere I can sell to the better half as a worthwhile little excursion ;)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

MarcVD

Stay in Rome and from Termini, walk to porta maggiore and admire the constant parade of trams and trains crossing the place.

Envoyé de mon GT-I9505 en utilisant Tapatalk

northwichcat

Veteran Member
Ostica Antica is worth visiting - it's similar to Pompeii. It's within the Rome Metro area on the Roma-Lido railway so only costs the standard single fare for the Rome Metro area despite being around 15 miles from the city centre. Although, the Roma-Lido railway has the same rolling stock as the Rome Metro so you won't get a ride a different type of train by going there.

When I went in 2014 there was a mix of old and modern trams (depending which lines you use) so I don't know if that's still the case.

If your hotel isn't right in the middle of Rome then use the local Metro station to buy as many local transport tickets as you need for the day (they aren't valid until you validate them), as that way you can avoid waiting in long queues or buying tickets at stations which pickpockets target.

Minilad

Established Member
Ostica Antica is worth visiting - it's similar to Pompeii. It's within the Rome Metro area on the Roma-Lido railway so only costs the standard single fare for the Rome Metro area despite being around 15 miles from the city centre. Although, the Roma-Lido railway has the same rolling stock as the Rome Metro so you won't get a ride a different type of train by going there.

When I went in 2014 there was a mix of old and modern trams (depending which lines you use) so I don't know if that's still the case.

If your hotel isn't right in the middle of Rome then use the local Metro station to buy as many local transport tickets as you need for the day (they aren't valid until you validate them), as that way you can avoid waiting in long queues or buying tickets at stations which pickpockets target.

That place is right up my strasse. Definitely going there.
The hotel is 5 mins walk from the central station but will be using the metro and trams. I was under the impression there was a multi modal ticket available for varying time limits?

edwin_m

Veteran Member
There are multi-modal 24hr tickets (valid until 24hr after first validation, not just for the rest of the day) and I think longer periods too.

Minilad

Established Member
There are multi-modal 24hr tickets (valid until 24hr after first validation, not just for the rest of the day) and I think longer periods too.

There is a 48 and 72 hour version too. There is also one that includes entry to certain attractions.

Anybody know if there are any do-able loco hauled services. A quick out and back while the missus is getting ready to go out :lol:

me123

Established Member
If you only have a few days in Rome, I think you'll be hard pressed to find the time for a "little excursion" (and it would certainly be a hard sell to your other half!). It's a truly wonderful city in which you could happily spend many weeks. TBH, I didn't even bother with the metro (a rarity for me), as there was so much to see just walking everywhere.

bspahh

Established Member

bradford758

Orvieto, 120 km away, is a slightly longer journey.
Different fares apply to IC and local trains in Italy.

Sent from my 4009X using Tapatalk

Crossover

Established Member
Will keep an eye on this thread as I am going to Rome with the family for a few days.......also in March

northwichcat

Veteran Member
There is a 48 and 72 hour version too. There is also one that includes entry to certain attractions.

Not sure if it's still the case but it used to be the state owned attractions offered free admission on the first Sunday of the month - which was why I didn't use the Rome Pass or whatever it's called. The Vatican museums also offer free entry on the last Sunday of the month.

Minilad

Established Member
Not sure if it's still the case but it used to be the state owned attractions offered free admission on the first Sunday of the month - which was why I didn't use the Rome Pass or whatever it's called. The Vatican museums also offer free entry on the last Sunday of the month.

And typically I am going Monday to Friday :lol:

Minilad

Established Member
If you only have a few days in Rome, I think you'll be hard pressed to find the time for a "little excursion" (and it would certainly be a hard sell to your other half!). It's a truly wonderful city in which you could happily spend many weeks. TBH, I didn't even bother with the metro (a rarity for me), as there was so much to see just walking everywhere.

While I don't doubt it will more than fill our time part of my holiday plans is always to get a few little trips by train / metro / tram. I consider that to be just as enjoyable as walking around looking at buildings and going to museums.
Horses for courses and all :)

northwichcat

Veteran Member
While I don't doubt it will more than fill our time part of my holiday plans is always to get a few little trips by train / metro / tram. I consider that to be just as enjoyable as walking around looking at buildings and going to museums.
Horses for courses and all :)

Well if you ever do a trip from Gibraltar to Ronda it isn't difficult to argue that the scenery you see on the train up to Ronda is part of the experience. With the outskirts of big cities generally not being all that attractive it perhaps a bit more difficult for some people to see a train ride as part of the experience.

Minilad

Established Member
Well if you ever do a trip from Gibraltar to Ronda it isn't difficult to argue that the scenery you see on the train up to Ronda is part of the experience. With the outskirts of big cities generally not being all that attractive it perhaps a bit more difficult for some people to see a train ride as part of the experience.

For me it's the train rather than what I can see out of it. It's nice to go on some scenic route but my main motivation is travelling on the local trains

Veteran Member
Worth checking out Porta Maggiore in the SE where the trams intersect an interurban which - if it hasn't been replaced by the new Metro C - runs some antique stock from a sort of annexe to Termini.

Near P Populo at the North end of the city there's the Orte interurban. Unfortunately the terminus is underground. Not been to Orte but it might be worth checking out for tourism?

Apols for missing previous post about P Maggiore.

Last edited:

northwichcat

Veteran Member
For me it's the train rather than what I can see out of it. It's nice to go on some scenic route but my main motivation is travelling on the local trains

I think it's nice to use local transport and see how it differs to other countries but it's usually fairly easy to use quite a bit of local transport in getting around without making special journeys. I remember when I was in Berlin to get from A to B would only have been about a 10 minute walk but I hadn't been on a tram yet and was in possession of an all-day local transport pass so as there was a tram available I took it.

k-c-p

Nice rail-related trip:
Use Lazali small gauge line from station next to Termini. Make a stopover at Porta Maggiore to enjoy the tram mix there. Then get on the small gauge line again to Lodi. There you can hop on Metro Line C which is running fully automated trains and runs partly overground. I did this a few years ago.

The Jonio-Branch of Metro Line B is also worth a visit, because its new :). I used this a lot, because my hotel was near "S. Annese Annibaliano" stop of this branch.

The transportation authority ATAC has a rolling stock exhibition at Porta San Paulo station.

For other sights:
Colloseum, Forum Romanum, Bath of Caracalla, Palatine Hill are a must. For these I bought a Roma Archeologia at the Colloseum. It was worth the money and also included the museum "Palazzo Massimo alle Terme" (located near Termini) which was awesome.

In terms of churches I would recommend:
St Peter Basilica (including climbing up the steps to enjoy the view from the dome), Basilica of Saint Paul Outside the Walls and Santo Stefano al Monte Celio (aka. Santo Stefano Rotondo - a round church).

To get around a bought a 7 day pass (Carta Integrata Settimanale - CIS) from a ATAC ticket machine. It is valid on buses, trams, metro and FL rail lines within the city limit.

edwin_m

Veteran Member
Seconded/thirded for Porta Maggiore. Where else can you see what is effectively a roundabout for trams, the main lines out of Termini on a nearby bridge, a narrow gauge line with a different overhead line voltage slicing through the middle and a Roman aqueduct over the top of it all?

MarcVD

Yes yes yes... Which is why I proposed that to the OP 3 days ago already. Been there, done that, spent 2 hours taking pictures, and if the wife did not come there to drag me out after her shopping, would probably have staid much longer...

Envoyé de mon GT-I9505 en utilisant Tapatalk

Minilad

Established Member
Nice rail-related trip:
Use Lazali small gauge line from station next to Termini. Make a stopover at Porta Maggiore to enjoy the tram mix there. Then get on the small gauge line again to Lodi. There you can hop on Metro Line C which is running fully automated trains and runs partly overground. I did this a few years ago.

The Jonio-Branch of Metro Line B is also worth a visit, because its new :). I used this a lot, because my hotel was near "S. Annese Annibaliano" stop of this branch.

The transportation authority ATAC has a rolling stock exhibition at Porta San Paulo station.

For other sights:
Colloseum, Forum Romanum, Bath of Caracalla, Palatine Hill are a must. For these I bought a Roma Archeologia at the Colloseum. It was worth the money and also included the museum "Palazzo Massimo alle Terme" (located near Termini) which was awesome.

In terms of churches I would recommend:
St Peter Basilica (including climbing up the steps to enjoy the view from the dome), Basilica of Saint Paul Outside the Walls and Santo Stefano al Monte Celio (aka. Santo Stefano Rotondo - a round church).

To get around a bought a 7 day pass (Carta Integrata Settimanale - CIS) from a ATAC ticket machine. It is valid on buses, trams, metro and FL rail lines within the city limit.

Good tips. Cheers

Hornet

Just watch your wallet, and hide any jewellery.

24 Most Common Tourist Scams in Italy.

http://travelscams.org/europe/common-tourist-scams-italy/

Seen the first 3 scams in Rome. Negotiate a price with Taxi Drivers before taking a Taxi. Friend of mine got charged four times the price that I was charged for a Taxi from Ciampino to Rome Termini. Rome is great, apart from it's citizens. Much prefer Northern Italy. People far more friendly.

me123

Established Member
Just watch your wallet, and hide any jewellery.

Behave exactly like you would anywhere else and use common sense and you'll be fine. The only place in Rome where I felt slightly more prone to a scam/pickpocketing was at the Trevi Fountain (solely due to the large mass of people in a very small area).

Minilad

Established Member
Behave exactly like you would anywhere else and use common sense and you'll be fine. The only place in Rome where I felt slightly more prone to a scam/pickpocketing was at the Trevi Fountain (solely due to the large mass of people in a very small area).

I think the key is to look as little like a tourist as you can. I have been to many places with supposed petty crime issues and I always believe if you walk around confidently and don't appear to be a tourist then in general you are left alone

me123

Established Member
I think the key is to look as little like a tourist as you can. I have been to many places with supposed petty crime issues and I always believe if you walk around confidently and don't appear to be a tourist then in general you are left alone

Agree. And spend as little time in tourist hotspots as possible. Go off the beaten track and explore the parts of Rome that attract locals rather than tourists - contrary to so much of the advice I've had, the only times I've ever felt unsafe in big tourist cities is when I've been in the busy tourist hotspots!

For example, the Trevi fountain is exactly the place to avoid, or at worst minimise your time there. It's a very small area, and there will be hundreds of tourists crammed into one place. There will be very few, if any, Italian people there. You're a perfect target, and it's the only place in Rome where I was focussed mostly on not being mugged. Besides, there's so many people you can't even really see the fountain.

northwichcat

Veteran Member
There will be very few, if any, Italian people there.

Also when you're buying takeaway pizza or ice-cream look for places locals are buying from as they will be either the best quality or best value for money, while other ones will sell you low quality products for high prices.

Street traders are also worth mentioning. Many will run off immediately if the police make an appearance. If you have purchased some thing from an illegal street trader and don't have a receipt the police have the power to confiscate and destroy your purchase. Take a reusable bottle which you can fill up (for free) with drinking water at many sites around the city. I saw one person in Rome collecting empty water bottles from a bin, filling them up and trying to sell them to queuing tourists.

Also note the roman soldiers outside the coliseum belong to criminal gangs. If you try to take a picture of them they will invite you to have your picture taken with them and then charge you for the privilege.

northwichcat

Veteran Member

Good general advice but in Rome most locals are slim to average build, have well tanned skin and dark hair. Also if you go in spring/autumn the climate will be like our summer but the locals be dressed in clothes similar to what we'd wear in spring/autumn. So it's not as easy for British people to blend in as in other European cities, but easier for us to blend in than large loud-mouth American tourists. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.