• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Which political party do you side with?

Status
Not open for further replies.

northwichcat

Veteran Member
I don't know - immigration, the environment and Europe seem to divide the parties quite strongly.

Agreed. However, the difference between some parties is just how they approach the same idea. For instance, a single all-in-one welfare benefit and changing the criteria for disability benefits were both on the Labour manifesto and the Conservative manifesto but Labour are saying the approach the Coalition are taking with those changes is wrong.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

northwichcat

Veteran Member
The first party of any size to support universal suffrage at 18 was...

The Official Monster Raving Loony Party.

Some of their current policies:

* We will instruct the RSPCA to ensure that all meerkats come in twos to enable the public to effectively compare the meerkat.
* The options on the Referendum ballot on our membership of the EU to
read– a) In b) Out c) Shake it all about
* Saving Fuel – A bungy rope should be attached to all vehicles making a journey. No fuel would be required for the return journey.
* Pokemon to be considered an endangered species.
* Put all people committed of anti-social behaviour in to Stocks, this will create a demand for stocks, which should help to increase the stock market.
* Superglue unruly teenagers together.As the saying goes if you cant beat them you may as well join em.
* The problems of prison overcrowding and increased crime will be solved easily by issuing a compulsory contract on McDonalds to do all prison catering. Conservative estimates suggest a 50% reduction in crime rates within 2 years with 0% re-offender figures.
* Ban tractors from driving on roads, they can drive across their fields.
* Anyone allowing their Hyena to poop on the pavement should shovel it away immediately, As this is no laughing matter
* To help the Israel/Palestine problems, we should get rid of the old fashioned road map, and give them a sat nav instead.
* To combat global warming and climate change all buildings should be fitted with air conditioning units on the outside.
* We will ban all forms of Greyhound racing. This will help stop the country going to the dogs.
* The War on terror. There's nothing funny about this. However as we have not found any Taliban terrorists in Derbyshire our soldiers can all come home now.

Deerfold

Veteran Member
Some of their current policies:

* We will instruct the RSPCA to ensure that all meerkats come in twos to enable the public to effectively compare the meerkat.
* The options on the Referendum ballot on our membership of the EU to
read– a) In b) Out c) Shake it all about
* Saving Fuel – A bungy rope should be attached to all vehicles making a journey. No fuel would be required for the return journey.
* Pokemon to be considered an endangered species.
* Put all people committed of anti-social behaviour in to Stocks, this will create a demand for stocks, which should help to increase the stock market.
* Superglue unruly teenagers together.As the saying goes if you cant beat them you may as well join em.
* The problems of prison overcrowding and increased crime will be solved easily by issuing a compulsory contract on McDonalds to do all prison catering. Conservative estimates suggest a 50% reduction in crime rates within 2 years with 0% re-offender figures.
* Ban tractors from driving on roads, they can drive across their fields.
* Anyone allowing their Hyena to poop on the pavement should shovel it away immediately, As this is no laughing matter
* To help the Israel/Palestine problems, we should get rid of the old fashioned road map, and give them a sat nav instead.
* To combat global warming and climate change all buildings should be fitted with air conditioning units on the outside.
* We will ban all forms of Greyhound racing. This will help stop the country going to the dogs.
* The War on terror. There's nothing funny about this. However as we have not found any Taliban terrorists in Derbyshire our soldiers can all come home now.

Now, now, many of those are clearly only policy proposals, not agreed policy.

They seem to have a sensible policy on immigration...

OMRLP 2010 Manifesto said:
8. Immigration and Population: I propose that we cap the population of this country. We have too many people for such a small country, so we will Cap the number of people residing here at present rates (approximately 63 million, give or take 10 mill ) on the basis of one out, one in (excluding Births).

Regarding Immigration… Any Person who can prove that they or their descendants emigrated to the U.K before 55 A.D can stay. All the others will be repatriated to their original country. (Well we have to draw the line somewhere)

90sWereBetter

Lost somewhere within Bank-Monument tube station,
Lib Dems, SNP (despite the fact I want Scotland to stay part of the UK! :p) and Labour are above 90% for me. So quite accurate with my actual beliefs.

Now, to cause some controversy, I have no problem whatsoever with immigration as it is at the moment. Flame away. :)

I would vote Greens, but being an avid motorsport fan, I pretty much can't. So I'll stay a happy member of the LIBLABCON, thank you very much. :P

Last edited:

Buttsy

Established Member
Remember doing that one, or a similar one, a while back, and it was something like Lib Dem 90%, Labour 80%, followed by the Greens, etc. Despite consideribg myself left-leaning, I was still surprised to see such high a figure.

But even more so I found myself about 15% in agreement with BNP, 25% with UKIP and over 50% with the Tories, mainly on policies concerning health and some other insignificant issue in my eyes, I think.

Voting can be strategic at the general election. My constituency is a marginal one. Even if I were unhappy with my MP, it would take a lot for me give my vote to Labour, for example, simply because I wouldn't want the Tories to get in. My MP's majority at the last election was something like 278 so every vote really does count.

I'm in a similar, left leaning, position. The way I would rather vote is compromised by the fact they are always a distant 3rd, but as the Conservative majority is just 178 in my constituency, my vote will once again go LibDem as I cannot abide the Conservative party.

Oswyntail

Established Member
I don't know - immigration, the environment and Europe seem to divide the parties quite strongly.
I disagree. The three main parties have as their mainstream stance much the same position - "needs watching","needs protecting","stay in" - which seems to tally with most people in the UK. But what we see reported is the outer fringe of those positions, which is what UKIP is playing to, encouraged by the media.

fowler9

Established Member
I'm in a similar, left leaning, position. The way I would rather vote is compromised by the fact they are always a distant 3rd, but as the Conservative majority is just 178 in my constituency, my vote will once again go LibDem as I cannot abide the Conservative party.

Ah well mate. Just vote for who you believe in.

richw

Veteran Member
Parties you side with...

87% - Conservatives on healthcare, foreign policy, immigration, social, and domestic policy issues.
76% - UK Independence - on foreign policy, immigration, transportation, and domestic policy issues.
65% - British Nationals on healthcare, foreign policy, and education issues.
61% - Labour - on economic and social issues.
54% - Scottish Nationals on economic and social issues.
53% - Green on economic, social, transportation, and environmental issues.
46% - Plaid Cymru on economic and transportation issues.
44% - Liberal Democrats on economic, social, and domestic policy issues.

And I voted Lib Dem at the last election!

fowler9

Established Member
Parties you side with...

87% - Conservatives on healthcare, foreign policy, immigration, social, and domestic policy issues.
76% - UK Independence - on foreign policy, immigration, transportation, and domestic policy issues.
65% - British Nationals on healthcare, foreign policy, and education issues.
61% - Labour - on economic and social issues.
54% - Scottish Nationals on economic and social issues.
53% - Green on economic, social, transportation, and environmental issues.
46% - Plaid Cymru on economic and transportation issues.
44% - Liberal Democrats on economic, social, and domestic policy issues.

And I voted Lib Dem at the last election!

Conservatives on immigration? Tell people you are tough on immigration and then see immigration levels soar?

richw

Veteran Member
Conservatives on immigration? Tell people you are tough on immigration and then see immigration levels soar?

I don't know their respective policies.
My view on immigration is they are welcome as long as they work and contribute towards the UK economy, and don't claim benefits etc.

HST Power

Established Member
92% - Conservatives
90% - UKIP
69% - Lib Dems
64% - BNP
41% - Labour
28% - SNP

I've got to say, I think that's exactly right. And no, the highish BNP score doesn't bother me.

gnolife

Established Member
I was somewhat horrified to find that the BNP came up highest on mine - given that a fair number of the forum have met me and know what I look like, they'll know why I find that a little bit alarming.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
My results:

1. Greens 87%
2. Labour 85%
=. Liberal Democrats 85%
4. Plaid Cymru 73%
5. SNP 72%
6. BNP 25%
7. UKIP 17%
8. Conservatives 6% :lol:

Living as I do in what has historically been a 3-way marginal, I'm undecided as to which of the top 3 will get my vote at the next General Election.

ATW Alex 101

Established Member
82% Lib Dem
76% Labour
73% Scottish
72% Plaid Cymru
69% Green
68% Conservative
67% UKIP
43% BNP

Sounds about right, although I wouldn't say I necessarily say I support UKIP 67%! I wouldn't even support BNP 43% either.

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
I was somewhat horrified to find that the BNP came up highest on mine - given that a fair number of the forum have met me and know what I look like, they'll know why I find that a little bit alarming.

We pretend that we never saw that.

Do it again. :lol:

mikeg

Established Member
Labour on 96%. No surprise as I'm a party member but I do have some disagreements with current policy so surprised it was so strong.
SNP second, which surprised me.

Labour 96%
SNP 90%
LibDems 86%
Greens 85%
Plaid 81%
UKIP 65%

Last edited:

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
In order to get some numbers, I did this again, so there may be some discrepancies with what I got last time, but they are largely in line.

The biggest shocker is the Tories, possibly due to discrepancies in the importance indicators that I chose, although I did get over 50% last time too.

http://uk.isidewith.com/ said:
85% Liberal Democrats on economic, healthcare, immigration, social, and environmental issues.
84% Labour on healthcare, social, transportation, education, foreign policy, and environmental issues.
84% Scottish Nationals on economic, healthcare, immigration, social, education, and environmental issues.
74% Conservatives on economic, social, domestic policy, and foreign policy issues.
72% Plaid Cymru on immigration, healthcare, education, social, and environmental issues.
70% Green on healthcare, social, and environmental issues.
27% British Nationals on no major issues.
24% UK Independence on no major issues.

fowler9

Established Member

Don't worry too much mate. It's just a bit of a game. Some people on here are proper Tories! Now they should be worried! Only kidding, I think most on here all want the best for everyone, we just have have different ideas about how best to do it.

TheJRB

Established Member
Labour 95%
Liberal Democrats 93%
Scottish Nationals 90%
Green 87%
Plaid Cymru 85%
Conservatives 60%
BNP 51% (on economic issues apparently)
UKIP 39% (on education issues)

I naturally consider myself a Liberal Democrat yet to see 95% leaning towards Labour is quite an eye opener! Even more surprising is that I'm a 90% match for the SNP considering I said I agree with the UK remaining as one. But frankly 51% for the BNP and 39% for UKIP is ridiculously high considering I'd never vote for either in a million years.

transmanche

Established Member
Even more surprising is that I'm a 90% match for the SNP considering I said I agree with the UK remaining as one.
I suspect if you did it again and changed the relative importance to you of that issue, you might get a very different result.

TheKnightWho

Established Member
I'm not seeing evidence of the Lib Dems being nutcases on the fringe, if this thread's anything to go by...

Status
Not open for further replies.