• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Why are XC allowed to continue?

Snow1964

Established Member
Why would the railway/XC keep the voyagers beyond their current lease-end date unless they are cheaper per seat than new bimode 125 mph trains would be?
There are 2 ways to look at this :
short term, no alternative but to extend lease (because didn't order and commission and train staff on a replacement) ready to take over at lease end date
longer term because DfT seem to know cost of everything, but have no idea about the value and quality vs alternatives

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

WAB

Why would station pilots be needed - they'd be push pull formation sets by now. You can also fit autocouplers to locos...
This was under the assumption that the available number of carriages would be the same as present, and therefore trains would still be splitting at Newcastle, Bristol etc.

Energy

Established Member
Why would station pilots be needed - they'd be push pull formation sets by now. You can also fit autocouplers to locos...
I don't really see why you'd go for fixed formation loco hauled over multiple units.

I'm not convinced the better stock utilisation from maintaining the loco seperately is worth it for the extra platform space, worse track wear and worse performance. The stock still needs servicing anyway.
This will be interesting to see now the DfT have total control.
Depends on the government's priorities. Currently it's smaller schemes like Midland Rail Hub.

With the 12 extra voyagers they should be able to get the XC core to a good capacity. I wouldn't expect much more till either the voyagers are hitting 30, or Hitachi's work dries up under the next government.

Richard Scott

Established Member
I don't really see why you'd go for fixed formation loco hauled over multiple units.

I'm not convinced the better stock utilisation from maintaining the loco seperately is worth it for the extra platform space, worse track wear and worse performance. The stock still needs servicing anyway.
My thinking is that you're not duplicating cabs wasting space that could be used for passengers, an 8 coach Voyager has 4 cabs, probably more than an entire coach, in reality, lots of duplicated equipment e.g. compressors etc, all adding to weight. You also only need one set of staff either loco hauled stock not 2 sets if two units coupled. I would expect reasonable energy savings with a loco and 8 coaches over an 8 coach unit, especially in diesel mode.
Performance is largely irrelevant as already been said that journey times have hardly improved over past 40 years. Modern 3-phase drives will give a loco reasonable performance when up against a unit.
Passenger space seems to be the important thing here and for that loco and stock makes sense. If need extra coaches in sets don't need extra staff.

CarrotPie

My thinking is that you're not duplicating cabs wasting space that could be used for passengers, an 8 coach Voyager has 4 cabs, probably more than an entire coach, in reality, lots of duplicated equipment e.g. compressors etc, all adding to weight. You also only need one set of staff either loco hauled stock not 2 sets if two units coupled. I would expect reasonable energy savings with a loco and 8 coaches over an 8 coach unit, especially in diesel mode.
Performance is largely irrelevant as already been said that journey times have hardly improved over past 40 years. Modern 3-phase drives will give a loco reasonable performance when up against a unit.
Passenger space seems to be the important thing here and for that loco and stock makes sense. If need extra coaches in sets don't need extra staff.
Through-gangwayed muliple units, anyone?

HSTEd

Veteran Member
If you want push pull you have to duplicate cabs unless you want station pilot locomotives trying to split sets and splice vehicles into the middle of the formation. That is going to be a nightmare in any significant railway station, the British railway is just far too intensively operated for that.
Without push pull you simply can't operate out of almost all modern British termini because run-around is not really something that the infrastructure allows any more.

A cab-vehicle with a gangway has the same safety related structural limits on performance as a multiple unit cab vehicle will have.

Three phase drives on the locomotive are not going to be able to overcome the fact that they only have a small portion of the train's mass to work with.

cle

Established Member
People are really overthinking this from a fleet pov.

It would be absolutely fine with modern bi-mode EMUs, say 807s, which are 6-7 cars minimum, pootling across the network, and with some of those tweaks and expansions at the extremeties: Exeter extension, Southampton extension on the Reading-Newcastle, both via Coventry etc etc.

Birmingham-Liverpool made all 8 cars, and 2tph. Slot in a Birmingham Intl or Rugby-Manchester 8 car in a similar semi-fast pattern (go via Crewe to offer Wilmslow-B'ham, take a slot from something shorter) - and cover that Wolves-B'ham-Cov corridor.

HSTEd

Veteran Member
It is funny that the, admittedly single class, 5-car Class 803s operated by Lumo have more seats than an 8-car double Class 220!

Even at 342 seats, a 5-car Class 802/2 would approach the capacity of a double 220.
I don't think it would take many IEP sets to replace the Class 220 portion of the fleet.

I'm fairly certain we'd be way better off if the entire XC operation was just single 5-car IEPs, even though the peak capacity of the busiest trains would be notionally lower.
Add in a handful of double sets and you would be onto a huge capacity improvement, almost certainly with fewer sets and vehicles overall.

EDIT: CrossCountry has 38 200-seat sets and 20 262-seat sets

Last edited:

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
It is funny that the, admittedly single class, 5-car Class 803s operated by Lumo have more seats than an 8-car double Class 220!

Even at 342 seats, a 5-car Class 802/2 would approach the capacity of a double 220.
I don't think it would take many IEP sets to replace the Class 220 portion of the fleet.

I'm fairly certain we'd be way better off if the entire XC operation was just single 5-car IEPs, even though the peak capacity of the busiest trains would be notionally lower.

342 vice 532 (2 x 262)

Single 7 car would probably be about perfect.

Energy

Established Member
My thinking is that you're not duplicating cabs wasting space that could be used for passengers, an 8 coach Voyager has 4 cabs, probably more than an entire coach
The voyagers have large cabs because they are 125mph stock while the only meaningful 125mph running is the ECML and Birmingham - Derby. Manchester - Bournemouth and Bristol have no 125mph running aside from a tiny stretch just outside Bristol. A class 196, 350, or 444 wastes much less.
lots of duplicated equipment e.g. compressors
You want duplicated compressors, if the main one fails the train will need to be taken out of service fairly urgently.
You also only need one set of staff either loco hauled stock not 2 sets if two units coupled.
Not on XC, a single catering cart wouldn't get through an entire 8-9 car train anyway. The Pendolinos typically have a driver, guard, 2 first-class catering staff, someone on the shop, and sometimes an onboard chef.
I would expect reasonable energy savings with a loco and 8 coaches over an 8 coach unit, especially in diesel mode.
I wouldn't, with less driven axles you get less effective regen. You also have the weight less distributed so worse track wear which NR punishes with higher access charges.
But they need to get near voyager timings in the busy electrified sections to fit in existing paths. A class 68 with a few mk3s or mk5s is nowhere near a voyager performance (closer to class 168). For a long set of mk5s they'd be needing 2 68s.

Traction motors aren't the issue, you're limited by how big of a diesel engine you can squeeze into the locomotive.
The mk5s aren't that space-efficient and no manufacturer is going to be rushing for a small order of purpose-built coaches for XC.
It would be absolutely fine with modern bi-mode EMUs, say 807s, which are 6-7 cars minimum
Yes, the multiple-unit operation at XC is only because of the poor capacity of voyagers. On a completely new fleet, you wouldn't bother and would go with a standard fleet of 5 or 7-car 802-style trains.

FlyingPotato

7 car and 5 car would be amazing
But what about Stansted as I heard that has problems with platform length

7 cars for main routes, 5 for nots Cardiff, Brum to Cambridge
And you could run 10 cars for summer Saturday services down to the south coast

JamesT

Established Member
7 car and 5 car would be amazing
But what about Stansted as I heard that has problems with platform length

7 cars for main routes, 5 for nots Cardiff, Brum to Cambridge
And you could run 10 cars for summer Saturday services down to the south coast
Isn't Stansted the bit of XC that uses Class 170s rather than Voyagers? So not somewhere that would be affected by replacing the Voyagers.

JJmoogle

A spectre is haunting CrossCountry — the spectre of Operation Princess.

It's an absolute embarrassment that CrossCountry has suffered the same overcrowding issues for over two decades and there's been no real motivation from the Department for Transport to resolve this for the long term - those surplus carriages added into the Turbostars a few years ago and the Voyagers coming over from Avanti is really just rearranging the deckchairs on the Titanic. How much suppressed demand is there that will be taken up within a year or two of those Voyagers entering service? I feel like there is a lot.
Looking back on it, it really was a massive mistake giving Arriva the franchise in 2007, or at the very least not mandating a fresh order as I believe virgin were proposing, of both more voyager trains and carriages, the fleet was but about 6 years old then, indeed perhaps 'Project Thor' might have succeeded in that enviroment...

If they were now running a uniform fleet of 8 car trains (possibly bi-modes) I think they'd be doing fine. (And maybe still running to Brighton :p)

As it was, we got a few HSTs back again, an unbelivably shortsighted sticking plaster. Now the HSTs have been withdrawn and the Voyagers are a rather inconvinient age, too new to realisticly dispose of, too old to extend in a realistic fashion.

The service is, astonishingly, identical to the one I remember 20 years ago, usually incredibly overcrowded and quite unpleasant, whenever I've been on a voyager(or a class 170 although I find they can be more unpleasant as they vibrate a lot more) and it isn't rammed it can be quite pleasant, although that's pretty rare of an experience.

The Ham

Established Member

Add in a handful of double sets and you would be onto a huge capacity improvement, almost certainly with fewer sets and vehicles overall.

EDIT: CrossCountry has 38 200-seat sets and 20 262-seat sets

In the near future XX will have 32 262 (ish) seat sets, overall that's 312 sets.

If we are assuming the extra 12 are to allow all 4 coach sets to run as 4+4 (having swapped roles with the 5 coach sets), that's 58 trains to provide for.

Slightly frustratingly you'd only get 52 80x's with 6 coaches for the same number of coaches, to get to 58 you'd need an extra 36 coaches. However those 52 trains would give you about 19,200 seats (21,850 if you upped it to 58) this compares with nearly 16,000 with the enlarged 22x fleet.

With a smaller uniform 80x fleet you'd see an uplift of 20% on top of the new fleet size.

If you went for 62 trains of 5 coaches (320 coaches total) you'd have a fleet seating size of 18,700, which would still be an uplift of about 16.5% over the current proposal.

Obviously that's assuming that the least costs are the same, however if the lease costs are different you've still got, lower track access charges for the 80x, lower fuel costs and more seats.

cle

Established Member
The voyagers have large cabs because they are 125mph stock while the only meaningful 125mph running is the ECML and Birmingham - Derby. Manchester - Bournemouth and Bristol have no 125mph running aside from a tiny stretch just outside Bristol. A class 196, 350, or 444 wastes much less.
Don't they run at 125 Oxford-Reading also?

5 car 80x on Cardiff-Nott, Norwich-Derby, Cambridge/Stansted etc etc would be SUCH an upgrade.

Trainbike46

Established Member

5 car 80x on Cardiff-Nott, Norwich-Derby, Cambridge/Stansted etc etc would be SUCH an upgrade.
Some of the routes using 170s have sprinter differentials, notably Cambridge/Stansted. Norwich-Derby isn't an XC route at all, but it also requires sprinter differentials

Using any stock that can't use sprinter differentials (80x can't, 170s can) would lead to a much slower journey time, assuming it could fit in the timetable at all

So no, it wouldn't be an upgrade, it would be much worse

In the near future XX will have 32 262 (ish) seat sets, overall that's 312 sets.

If we are assuming the extra 12 are to allow all 4 coach sets to run as 4+4 (having swapped roles with the 5 coach sets), that's 58 trains to provide for.

Slightly frustratingly you'd only get 52 80x's with 6 coaches for the same number of coaches, to get to 58 you'd need an extra 36 coaches. However those 52 trains would give you about 19,200 seats (21,850 if you upped it to 58) this compares with nearly 16,000 with the enlarged 22x fleet.

With a smaller uniform 80x fleet you'd see an uplift of 20% on top of the new fleet size.

If you went for 62 trains of 5 coaches (320 coaches total) you'd have a fleet seating size of 18,700, which would still be an uplift of about 16.5% over the current proposal.

Obviously that's assuming that the least costs are the same, however if the lease costs are different you've still got, lower track access charges for the 80x, lower fuel costs and more seats.
I'm not sure hitachi would be the best option given the stories of Hitachi upping their prices a lot

But agreed 125mph bimodes would be much better than voyagers, whether they be 80x or a 125mph FLIRT bimode or a well-designed bimode 125mph product from Siemens or Alstom

Jimini

Established Member

Only on the rare occasions they’re signalled on the UM from Moreton Cutting to Tilehurst East (admittedly this did happen on the service I was on earlier, presumably because we were running ~20 mins late and there was a stopper ahead on the UR).

On Moderation
It would be such an expensive overkill using inappropriate trains for the duty.

I'm still at a loss as to why people think 80x is the solution to anything given the chronic issues with them. Let's buy more of some of such an appalling design is a strange thing to want to do.

Irascible

Established Member
I'm still at a loss as to why people think 80x is the solution to anything given the chronic issues with them. Let's buy more of some of such an appalling design is a strange thing to want to do.

I, too. They are a convenient thing to say "that would be the sort of train" though, even if the replacement isn't *actually* an 80x. Or a CAF unit. Hopefully.

irish_rail

Established Member
It would be such an expensive overkill using inappropriate trains for the duty.

Most of the issues are with the components, they are not appalling trains per se. They have just received the cheapest components possible (ie seating), much of which is the fault of the Dft.

The Planner

Veteran Member
You wouldn't be stopping them at Chepstow, Lydney, Ashchurch, Coleshill would need an exact stop, Hinckley, Narborough, South Wigston, Wilnecote, Wilington and so on and so forth without spending a load on platform extensions or slowing the timetable down for SDO dwells.

Topological

Given the nature of the Birmingham to Nottingham and Birmingham to Leicester, I would be holding off until it is time to infill the electrification. Doubling up the 170s on the busiest trains will be sufficient for some time. The 170s are not space inefficient like the voyagers.

Cardiff to Birmingham is not terrible when changing at Bristol Parkway, it is just about making sure there is enough capacity on the Bristol to Birmingham section.

This thread, like so many, is really just how can CrossCountry have more capacity in the core (and for many that means doing so without cutting the ends). Anything involving terminating in Birmingham is hard because of track capacities and the need for CrossCountry to give everything a long turnaround time, although the more I think about it, the more I think about the 10 minutes every train seems to get at Bristol Temple Meads and that if the CrossCountry ended up leaving Birmingham late due to the turnaround not being long enough, there would be recovery there. Trains regularly leave Birmingham late now and catch up. More often than not I think the train can unload and reload within 10 minutes, based on the large turnover at Birmingham at present on much shorter dwells. With a bit of resilience at places like Bristol Temple Meads I feel something could be done.

Otherwise, the only answer is more stock, of which the Avanti 221s are an example but probably not all that is needed.

GoneSouth

Most of the issues are with the components, they are not appalling trains per se. They have just received the cheapest components possible (ie seating), much of which is the fault of the Dft.
They are appalling trains if you have to sit in them for 4+ hours which I had to do recently. CAF probably won’t be any better given my experience of the very clunky Northern units. Definitely a race to the bottom

irish_rail

Established Member
They are appalling trains if you have to sit in them for 4+ hours which I had to do recently. CAF probably won’t be any better given my experience of the very clunky Northern units. Definitely a race to the bottom
I have also noticed the CAF stuff to be abysmal in terms of the ride. There seems to be no low brake step , similarly initial power seems to be very hefty, giving me whiplash effect. At first I thought it was just a bad driver but I've experienced it numerous times on 19x trains now.

Re the 80x, I'd argue they are abysmal for 4 hours plus purely because of the piss poor seating which isn't the fault of the train.

On Moderation
Re the 80x, I'd argue they are abysmal for 4 hours plus purely because of the piss poor seating which isn't the fault of the train.
Even ignoring the seats the 80x is appalling. The ride quality is utterly abysmal, fleet availability is seemingly permanently lower than what it should be and that's before we get to the cracking fiasco.

Irascible

Established Member

And possibly the proven underspecced suspension? has the increased frequency of wheel changes helped the GWR units?

( I'm referring to the cracking saga when it was shown the suspension had problems dealing with wheel wear )

irish_rail

Established Member
Even ignoring the seats the 80x is appalling. The ride quality is utterly abysmal, fleet availability is seemingly permanently lower than what it should be and that's before we get to the cracking fiasco.
Personally I find the ride fine, and I drive/ travel them on the B and H! Much of the fleet availability problems is down to cheap components being specified for them. Hitachis inability to remedy seemingly easily fixable faults (driver guard buzzer set too loud for instance) isn't helping availability admittedly.

Richard Scott

Established Member
Personally I find the ride fine, and I drive/ travel them on the B and H! Much of the fleet availability problems is down to cheap components being specified for them. Hitachis inability to remedy seemingly easily fixable faults (driver guard buzzer set too loud for instance) isn't helping availability admittedly.
The ride is hideous, at 125mph feels like it may leave the rails. Perhaps different coaches ride differently depending on their position in the train? Also driver's seat has its own suspension?