• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Why does the barcode on e-tickets have to be shown?

Status
Not open for further replies.

johncrossley

Established Member
Why does the barcode have to be shown? Why can't you just write down the 11 character reference under the barcode? Presumably the barcode just makes it convenient for staff to scan it, but they could type in the code into a machine if you don't have the barcode. That would mean people without printers or phones could use e-tickets.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Wolfie

Established Member
Why does the barcode have to be shown? Why can't you just write down the 11 character reference under the barcode? Presumably the barcode just makes it convenient for staff to scan it, but they could type in the code into a machine if you don't have the barcode. That would mean people without printers or phones could use e-tickets.
That assumes that all staff have the ability and time to type it in. Also a complete pain if you arrive at the station only to find that someone ticketless has already used your code....

Last edited:

Bungle965

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
Can you imagine trying to conduct a ticket check on a busy peak time service and half the train has just got 11 digit references?

johncrossley

Established Member
Can you imagine trying to conduct a ticket check on a busy peak time service and half the train has just got 11 digit references?

But that would be unlikely. Most (probably over 95%) of people find it more convenient to use their phone. The reference code would only be used by people not preferring to use their phones.

Doesn’t work that way the ticket details are in the barcode the UTN is only shown in a central database once the barcodes is scanned.

So why does it even need to be displayed on the e-ticket?

transportphoto

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
Quizmaster
Doesn’t work that way the ticket details are in the barcode the UTN is only shown in a central database once the barcodes is scanned.
Further to this - the main ticket scanning app that I’m familiar with, the only way of scanning a ticket is to scan it with the camera. There’s no functionality for typing anything in at all at that stage.

Would it be helpful? Yes, I think it would - in a small number of scenarios.

TUC

Established Member
Why does the OP ask whether the barcode has to be shown? What's the problem with showing it?

johncrossley

Established Member
Why does the OP ask whether the barcode has to be shown? What's the problem with showing it?

If you don't have a phone or printer (as discussed in the earlier thread about Trainsplit) then it is more difficult to use e-tickets, which is a problem if ticket collection is not offered by the website.

Tazi Hupefi

How exactly do you propose to get through the ticket barriers?

That said, there is an upcoming accreditation change to e-ticketing, and the barcode payload content is going to be available by querying the appropriate eTVD with the UTN so that original ticket information can be recalled - but this is mainly for back end reporting/analysis/support, rather than in the very unusual and niche application you suggest.

Merseysider

Established Member
Fares Advisor
If you don't have a phone or printer
I can’t help but feel this is a non-issue.

Over 98% of the population own a mobile phone.

Anyone who does not, is in that category out of choice, given that you can buy second hand mobiles capable of showing an e-ticket for a pittance.

Anyone in that 2% due to severe disability will have a carer, relative or neighbour who has a mobile phone / can print things off / visit the library for them.

trainophile

Established Member
I have no objection to showing an e-ticket on board the train, and always carry a back-up power bank, but my issues are (a) at the gateline when juggling luggage and trying to put my phone against the scanner before the display fades if I'm in a queue, and worrying about dropping the phone if I don't have a dedicated free hand, and (b) I buy tickets occasionally for other people who are not confident with e-tickets, and anyway if the ticket is on my phone it's no use to them.

As mentioned in the other thread I no longer have a printer that is compatible with my laptop, and I'm hesitant to buy a new one in case that too turns out not to be compatible, and also apart from rail tickets I would have virtually no other use for a printer. I have looked on Amazon for printers but they don't say what they are compatible with, and also the reviews for most of them talk of nightmarish installation processes and being over-complicated. I'm underwhelmed that when googling for compatible printers on Apple's website the suggestion is to "contact your printer's manufacture" - yeah right.

TUC

Established Member
I have no objection to showing an e-ticket on board the train, and always carry a back-up power bank, but my issues are (a) at the gateline when juggling luggage and trying to put my phone against the scanner before the display fades if I'm in a queue, and worrying about dropping the phone if I don't have a dedicated free hand,
You mean the same challenges everyone else faces and manages?

Benjwri

Established Member
I think an important point here is also that the entire contents of your ticket isn’t stored in the 11 digit code. That code is, as I understand it, used to recoded things like a ticket place taking place and to validate its authenticity. However the scanners all take the actual ticket data from the Aztec code, as this means in the event of there being no internet or a system issue the tickets can still be scanned. With just the code not only would it have to be typed in, but it would have to be validated before data could be shown.

In my opinion the best solution would be to put those silly new barcode tickets they’re doing at TVMs to use, and allow you to print off an e ticket at a TVM.

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
Works fine on Trenitalia. Most people show a barcode, but for those who can’t, you can quote the reference.

Adam Williams

Established Member
That said, there is an upcoming accreditation change to e-ticketing, and the barcode payload content is going to be available by querying the appropriate eTVD with the UTN so that original ticket information can be recalled - but this is mainly for back end reporting/analysis/support, rather than in the very unusual and niche application you suggest.
This is already sent to the eTVD upon each scan, and RSPS5043 already sets out a way to query the eTVD for the original ticketData by doing a UTN search, so what is actually changing here?

redreni

Is MegaTrain still going?

I've definitely travelled from Waterloo to Weymouth on a reference number written on a bit of paper before.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I can see no evidence to suggest that it is.
I've definitely travelled from Waterloo to Weymouth on a reference number written on a bit of paper before.
Fine for Advance only, booked train only, TOC specific maybe. The system used by Megabus absolutely would not work on interavailable and/or walk-up fares.

transportphoto

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
Quizmaster
No, it isn’t. Gone are the days where you could literally travel with something written on the back of a fag packet.

I believe they were checked against a manifest available to revenue protection staff.

edwin_m

Veteran Member
at the gateline when juggling luggage and trying to put my phone against the scanner before the display fades if I'm in a queue, and worrying about dropping the phone if I don't have a dedicated free hand
Trying to find the bit of paper with the reference on, and either typing it on some keypad or bothering the gateline staff to do the same, doesn't sound much better to be honest.

I buy tickets occasionally for other people who are not confident with e-tickets, and anyway if the ticket is on my phone it's no use to them.
You can send the e-ticket to others by email or text for them to use it on their phone or print it out.

TUC

Established Member
Should it have to be a "challenge" that we have to "manage" though?
The point is that it is what we all do, not just with ticket gates, but balancing phone in one hand whilst do multiple tasks with the other, but if you're that concerned why not buy a paper ticket?

HullRailMan

If you don't have a phone or printer (as discussed in the earlier thread about Trainsplit) then it is more difficult to use e-tickets, which is a problem if ticket collection is not offered by the website.
So don’t buy one then. If you’re not able to use the e-ticket, buy a paper ticket from somewhere that will sell you one.

trainophile

Established Member
So don’t buy one then. If you’re not able to use the e-ticket, buy a paper ticket from somewhere that will sell you one.
Which is what I was doing quite happily on Trainsplit until they moved the goalposts. I appreciate they have their reasons, some sort of fraud prevention I gather, with the unfortunate side effect of spoiling it for everyone. Such is life these days.

Buying at a manned station is obviously still an option, but to get Advance tickets without making a separate journey to the station is the issue then.

TUC

Established Member
Which is what I was doing quite happily on Trainsplit until they moved the goalposts. I appreciate they have their reasons, some sort of fraud prevention I gather, with the unfortunate side effect of spoiling it for everyone. Such is life these days.

Buying at a manned station is obviously still an option, but to get Advance tickets without making a separate journey to the station is the issue then.
So buy the Advance ticket from a different site and collect it from the station?

On Moderation
I have no objection to showing an e-ticket on board the train, and always carry a back-up power bank, but my issues are (a) at the gateline when juggling luggage and trying to put my phone against the scanner before the display fades if I'm in a queue, and worrying about dropping the phone if I don't have a dedicated free hand
How did you cope in the same scenario with ye olde printed tickets? You have to put them into the barrier and remove them, rather than one scan.

(b) I buy tickets occasionally for other people who are not confident with e-tickets, and anyway if the ticket is on my phone it's no use to them.
You can get it as a PDF and send it to them. They can then print it or have it on their phone to scan.

This really feels like you’re making a mountain out of a molehill.

Deafdoggie

Established Member

Every journey is available as a paper ticket.

Status
Not open for further replies.