• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Wigan to Crewe weekly season ticket - valid routes

Status
Not open for further replies.

NorthWestRover

Established Member
I know this will sound silly as there is an obvious quick route, but is a weekly season ticket between Wigan and Crewe valid on any routes other than the WCML via Warrington BQ?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

jfollows

Established Member
No.
Wigan to Crewe is given in the routeing guide (http://iblocks-rg-publication.s3-website-eu-west-1.amazonaws.com/yellow_pages.pdf) as map NC only:
1660383490642.png
Map NC (https://data.atoc.org/routeing-maps) only allows the direct route:
1660383527122.png
You are allowed to use other routes such as:
  • an advertised through train between Wigan and Crewe in either direction which takes a different route
  • a different route which is less than 3 miles longer than the shortest route (I don't think there is one)
In particular, your season ticket isn't valid via Liverpool or Manchester, which I think might be what you're hoping to be the case.
Others will correct me if I'm wrong of course!

Last edited:

NorthWestRover

Established Member
In particular, your season ticket isn't valid via Liverpool or Manchester, which I think might be what you're hoping to be the case.

Yeah, not because I'd want to do it that way particularly but Avanti and all that...

I'm thinking of doing a Heart of England Rover which will involve a couple of nights away, but would need four or five Wigan to Crewe starts and finishes.

jfollows

Established Member
The other option which might not be appropriate in your particular case could be a weekly season ticket between two different stations which include Wigan-Crewe but also allows other routes. I haven't looked any such tickets up, but either Preston-Crewe or possibly Bolton-Crewe or Wigan-Sandbach might allow additional routes, at slightly greater expense. The routeing guide is at your disposal at https://data.atoc.org/routeing-guide!

Haywain

Veteran Member
However, additional validity can be obtained by buying the season ticket to a different destination. It looks like a Wigan to Goostrey season will add in validity through Manchester and Wilmslow, as well as Crewe, at the same fare as Wigan to Crewe.

jfollows

Established Member
However, additional validity can be obtained by buying the season ticket to a different destination. It looks like a Wigan to Goostrey season will add in validity through Manchester and Wilmslow, as well as Crewe, at the same fare as Wigan to Crewe.
Agreed, and apologies because I added much the same thought subsequently which likely coincided with the time you were making your post!

Status
Not open for further replies.